Wafflycat in Cycling Weekly.

Old January 15th 08, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

Default Wafflycat in Cycling Weekly.

"Tim Hall" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 13:34:20 -0000, "wafflycat"
wrote:

I did a 32:32. On my normal roadbike (Bianchi Via Nirone, entry-level road
bike) with some clip-on tribars attached.

Chapeau!

(You'll have to drop that "unfit family" nonsense now!)

oooh, ta! Still unfit compared to many... but I have huge amounts of fun :-)

Old January 15th 08, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

wafflycat wrote:

oooh, ta! Still unfit compared to many...

Sadly it is the case that "compared to many" leaves a lot of headroom...
but even so, practically everyone is unfit compared to quite a few folk.
People who know me generally consider me quite fit, and I don't rate
myself as a blob if I'm being honest, but I do know people who are
/really/ fit, and I just don't register on the same gauge! So you
shouldn't mark yourself down for not being at the tp of the pile.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old January 15th 08, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Arthur Clune

wafflycat wrote:

I did a 32:32. On my normal roadbike (Bianchi Via Nirone, entry-level road
bike) with some clip-on tribars attached.

That's a respectable time. You should be very pleased with that.

Arthur

The struggle of people against power is the struggle
of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

Old January 15th 08, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Peter Clinch wrote:
wafflycat wrote:

oooh, ta! Still unfit compared to many...

Sadly it is the case that "compared to many" leaves a lot of headroom...
but even so, practically everyone is unfit compared to quite a few folk.

Heh. (world class) athletes being interviewed before Olympics etc
have an amazing habit of saying "I'm not as fit as I'd like to be" !!!!!!

BugBear
Old January 15th 08, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ekul Namsob

wafflycat wrote:

"Jim Harvest" wrote in message
I'm thinking of having a go, but would be very slow.

Can I ask what your time was (as a guide to what it takes to come
second last) or is that like asking a lady her age?

If it were, I'd be rumbled anyhow, as the result was published in The Comic
:-)

I did a 32:32. On my normal roadbike (Bianchi Via Nirone, entry-level road
bike) with some clip-on tribars attached.

Tribars? You're already taking this seriously.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire http://www.shrimper.org.uk
Old January 16th 08, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim Harvest

x-no-archive:On Jan 15, 8:34*pm, "wafflycat" w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn
£ect.com wrote:
"Jim Harvest" wrote in message

I'm thinking of having a go, but would be very slow.

Can I ask what your time was (as a guide to what it takes to come
second last) or is that like asking a lady her age?

If it were, I'd be rumbled anyhow, as the result was published in The Comic
:-)

I did a 32:32. On my normal roadbike (Bianchi Via Nirone, entry-level road
bike) with some clip-on tribars attached.

Phew, that seems pretty quick to me. I may need to get some audax
under my belt first before I'm up to a TT.
Old January 16th 08, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

On Jan 16, 12:23 am, Jim Harvest wrote:

I did a 32:32. On my normal roadbike (Bianchi Via Nirone, entry-level road
bike) with some clip-on tribars attached.

Phew, that seems pretty quick to me. I may need to get some audax
under my belt first before I'm up to a TT.

Totally different games. Audax riders are not necessarily good TT
riders as the skill set is different.
Riding flat out for 30 mins is not the same as riding 100 miles at a
relatively leisurely pace.

If you want to do a TT, train for a TT. High intensity building to the
time you expect to do.

If you want to do an Audax, train for an audax. Long medium pace miles
interspersed with cups of tea and bacon rolls.

It is possible to enjoy both, but you can't just train for one and
expect to be good at the other.

...d
Old January 16th 08, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BigRab

Look at it this way:
You go out and try as hard as you can and get a time,the person who
takes fastest time of the day has done exactly that too!

When someone asks you how you did a reply of "20 seconds under (or
over) my best" or whatever is perfectly acceptable. You get the kudos
for the attempt at whatever level you're at. Go for it and don't
worry.

Robert
Old January 18th 08, 05:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim Harvest

x-no-archive:On Jan 16, 2:24*am, David Martin martin-
wrote:
On Jan 16, 12:23 am, Jim Harvest wrote:

I did a 32:32. On my normal roadbike (Bianchi Via Nirone, entry-level road
bike) with some clip-on tribars attached.

Phew, that seems pretty quick to me. I may need to get some audax
under my belt first before I'm up to a TT.

Totally different games. Audax riders are not necessarily good TT
riders as the skill set is different.
Riding flat out for 30 mins is not the same as riding 100 miles at a
relatively leisurely pace.

If you want to do a TT, train for a TT. High intensity building to the
time you expect to do.

If you want to do an Audax, train for an audax. Long medium pace miles
interspersed with cups of tea and bacon rolls.

It is possible to enjoy *both, but you can't just train for one and
expect to be good at the other.

..d

I won't be any good at either but I think doing audax first will
give me conditioning to do TTs at a later stage, rather than the other
way round.

Does that make sense?

TDF Cycling Weekly comp- QUICK Jan UK 3 July 18th 06 12:23 AM
Cycling Weekly letter. Simon Mason UK 0 December 7th 04 01:25 PM
What's that cool UK racing weekly? "Cycling News"? Jeff Potter Racing 2 August 19th 04 11:41 PM
Cycling (racing) Weekly MartinM UK 6 June 12th 04 05:26 PM
Letter to Cycling Weekly. bikingbill UK 49 November 26th 03 10:22 PM