Road pedals?

Old July 29th 05, 03:19 AM
Dave Stallard

Default Road pedals?

I've been using SPD mountain-bike pedals on my road bikes for a long
time, and have been wanting to move to a road-specific pedal. The
question is, which? Look, Time RXS, Shimano SPD-SL?

Criteria are flotation, easy in and out, and being able to walk safely
to the convenience store, and down a flight of marble steps carrying my
bike.

I've heard good things from a friend about the Shimano SPD-SL. Asked
her if she could walk OK with the cleat, and she said, yes, she could
even drive in them.

Dave
Old July 29th 05, 03:24 AM

Dave Stallard wrote:
I've been using SPD mountain-bike pedals on my road bikes for a long
time, and have been wanting to move to a road-specific pedal. The
question is, which? Look, Time RXS, Shimano SPD-SL?

Why switch from the SPD's? What are you hoping to gain? A smarter
"upgrade" may be to get yourself a very nice pair of new cycling shoes.

Criteria are flotation, easy in and out, and being able to walk safely
to the convenience store, and down a flight of marble steps carrying my
bike.

If walking is important, it sounds like you should stick with your
SPD's.

Later,
Mark Muller

Old July 29th 05, 03:58 AM
J Jones

"Dave Stallard" wrote in message
I've been using SPD mountain-bike pedals on my road bikes for a long time,
and have been wanting to move to a road-specific pedal. The question
is, which? Look, Time RXS, Shimano SPD-SL?

Criteria are flotation, easy in and out, and being able to walk safely to
the convenience store, and down a flight of marble steps carrying my bike.

I've heard good things from a friend about the Shimano SPD-SL. Asked her
if she could walk OK with the cleat, and she said, yes, she could even
drive in them.

Dave

Speedplay Zeros are good for float and easy in/out. The cleat is fairly
large, and is not recommended for much walking - as little as possible. I
used to have Shimano DuraAce pedals (immediately prior generation from the
current one), and I had great difficulty getting into them as they were
one-sided vs. the two-sided Speedplays. Invariably, I would attempt to get
into the pedal and would be on the wrong side due to its natural design and
weighting - it was very frustrating for me, and sometimes dangerous,
depending upon where I was riding. Also, the float on the DuraAce pedals
was around 6-8 degrees vs. the Speedplays, which is up to 15 degrees (I
think). The increased float makes the Speedplays easier on the knees (a big
concern for me).
Jeff

Old July 29th 05, 04:04 AM
maxo

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:19:12 -0400, Dave Stallard wrote:

Criteria are flotation, easy in and out,

I use mtb pedals on my road bike as well because I got them cheap and the
float and retention are perfect. Only gripe is that I don't find them as
easy in/out compared to Looks and clones.

Indeed, another variation of spd is probably in your future.

Old July 29th 05, 05:01 AM
Kovie

"Dave Stallard" wrote in message
I've been using SPD mountain-bike pedals on my road bikes for a long time,
and have been wanting to move to a road-specific pedal. The question
is, which? Look, Time RXS, Shimano SPD-SL?

Criteria are flotation, easy in and out, and being able to walk safely to
the convenience store, and down a flight of marble steps carrying my bike.

I've heard good things from a friend about the Shimano SPD-SL. Asked her
if she could walk OK with the cleat, and she said, yes, she could even
drive in them.

Dave

I've been using the DA SPD-SLs for a little over a year and am happy with
them. Snapping into them could be a bit easier, but they are one-sided which
is always going to be a limiting factor, and I'm not exactly the most
dexterous person in the world. The float's fine for my needs, they feel
super-secure when pedaling (never snapped out even at the lowest setting),
and the cleats are somewhat easier to walk on than Looks (although I use
cleat covers when walking more than a few feet). I got the DA's mostly
because they were a bit smoother and more durable than the Ultegras (which
use a simpler bearing and a plastic cap that requires the use of an
infuriatingly slippery, non-rigid and easy to strip plastic tool). I've
never used non-Look style cleats/pedals, so I can't compare, but given your
SPD experience you might be more comfortable with Speedplays, given their
dual-sided clip-in, like SPD's. And in any case, you're definitely not going
to like walking in road shoes compared to SPD's! (I kinda wish I used them
myself sometimes, as I like to dismount and walk around a lot.)

Good luck!

--
Kovie
zen

Old July 29th 05, 12:52 PM
yk

I switched from SPD to Speedplay X pedals. The major benefit is float.
Easier on my knees. Besides that, SPD is much easier to clip in/out and to
walk. I am interested in Speedplay frog pedals.

Old July 29th 05, 02:08 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Dave Stallard wrote:
I've been using SPD mountain-bike pedals on my road bikes for a long
time, and have been wanting to move to a road-specific pedal. The
question is, which? Look, Time RXS, Shimano SPD-SL?

Criteria are flotation, easy in and out, and being able to walk safely
to the convenience store, and down a flight of marble steps carrying my
bike.

I've heard good things from a friend about the Shimano SPD-SL. Asked
her if she could walk OK with the cleat, and she said, yes, she could
even drive in them.

Dave

Put three people in a room and ask about pedals, get 4 opinions. Look
at Speedplay as well. Zeros have all the features you are looking for
as well as little covers that are small, light, and easy on off to make
walking easier.

shimano pedals are nice but lack covers, Look have covers as well.
Float adjustment for SP is a big plus as well as servicability and the
ability to buy one pedal.

Old July 29th 05, 03:53 PM
Cathy Kearns

"yk" wrote in message
I switched from SPD to Speedplay X pedals. The major benefit is float.
Easier on my knees. Besides that, SPD is much easier to clip in/out and

walk. I am interested in Speedplay frog pedals.

I love the Speedplay frogs. I use them exclusively on road bikes, as I
don't do any mountain biking. My knees don't complain, and when touring,
easy to wander through church in without making noise on the marble. (And
for those too steep hill I'm embarrassingly out of shape for, yep, you can
walk in them for quite awhile.) For the occasional tuneup ride around the
block you can pedal without the bike shoes, the platforms are big enough.