diabetic feet and cycling shoes

Old September 1st 05, 10:20 AM
Dave

Default diabetic feet and cycling shoes

Does anyone make custom cycling shoes that would allow a diabetic with a
trans-metatarsel amputation of the right foot to still ride. My foot dr
says there is an athletic shoe that may allow me to ride with clips and
straps but it's not really a cycling shoe.

A tran-metatarsel amputation means that all my toes are gone and the
foot is about 1/4 to 1/3 shorter than it used to be.

_Dave_

Old September 1st 05, 11:15 AM
jbuch

Dave wrote:
Does anyone make custom cycling shoes that would allow a diabetic with a
trans-metatarsel amputation of the right foot to still ride. My foot dr
says there is an athletic shoe that may allow me to ride with clips and
straps but it's not really a cycling shoe.

A tran-metatarsel amputation means that all my toes are gone and the
foot is about 1/4 to 1/3 shorter than it used to be.

_Dave_

I wonder if you could improvise a stiff "insole insert" out of something
like Polycarbonate or even high density polyethylene sheets.
Thicknesses like 1/32 or 3/64 or up to 1/8 could stiffen up the shoe.

However, the problem could be more complicated than simply having a
stiff sole to spread out the reaction pressure in the front part of the
foot.

Do you have a nearby university with a biomechanics department?
Old September 2nd 05, 04:02 AM
JeffWills

Dave wrote:
Does anyone make custom cycling shoes that would allow a diabetic with a
trans-metatarsel amputation of the right foot to still ride. My foot dr
says there is an athletic shoe that may allow me to ride with clips and
straps but it's not really a cycling shoe.

A tran-metatarsel amputation means that all my toes are gone and the
foot is about 1/4 to 1/3 shorter than it used to be.

_Dave_

Give Rocket7 : http://www.rocket7.com/ or DČ Custom Footwear:
http://www.d2customfootwear.com/ a call. I'm pretty sure DČ has made
shoes for special cases (from National Team riders to amputees), but
either shoul have some idea of where to go.

FWIW: I have custom insoles from Rocket7. They're very nice, even under
my size 13, B-width, diabetic (fortunately no neuropathy) feet.

Jeff

Old September 2nd 05, 05:35 AM
Dave

Thanks for all the ideas. I do live in Indianapolis so access to sports
medicine is readily available. I'm sure whatever happens I'll end up
buying two pairs of shoes unless I could get some made up special for
me. My feet are vastly different in size now and I can't afford to risk
another injury. The next one will cost me half a leg. As soon as I heal
I'll be in custom made diabetic walking shoes. The last time I was in
the pediatrist office he told me that one of the other people I'd seen
walking in the waiting room had an injury just exactly like mine and
they were in diabetic shoes. I couldn't guess who it was.

_Dave_

Old September 2nd 05, 05:37 PM
Bill Lloyd

On 2005-09-01 20:02:32 -0700, "JeffWills" said:

Dave wrote:
Does anyone make custom cycling shoes that would allow a diabetic with a
trans-metatarsel amputation of the right foot to still ride. My foot dr
says there is an athletic shoe that may allow me to ride with clips and
straps but it's not really a cycling shoe.

A tran-metatarsel amputation means that all my toes are gone and the
foot is about 1/4 to 1/3 shorter than it used to be.

_Dave_

Give Rocket7 : http://www.rocket7.com/ or DČ Custom Footwear:
http://www.d2customfootwear.com/ a call. I'm pretty sure DČ has made
shoes for special cases (from National Team riders to amputees), but
either shoul have some idea of where to go.

FWIW: I have custom insoles from Rocket7. They're very nice, even under
my size 13, B-width, diabetic (fortunately no neuropathy) feet.

I've used both... my preference goes to the D^2 shoes; their
construction quality is markedly higher. Downside is they are more
expensive -- while both are about $500 for the custom shoe, the D^2
charges a one-time $300 fee for the custom last.

Old September 2nd 05, 11:55 PM
Don Lamson

Hi Dave,
I've made shoes for peopole with this sort of problem before. One guy
had the front third of both feet gone due to septic infections. I also
made shoes for a guy with partial amputations due to diabetic
complications. Give me a call if you want to talk about it.

Don Lamson
D2SHOE
970-328-6870
On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 04:20:55 -0500, (Dave) wrote:

Does anyone make custom cycling shoes that would allow a diabetic with a
trans-metatarsel amputation of the right foot to still ride. My foot dr
says there is an athletic shoe that may allow me to ride with clips and
straps but it's not really a cycling shoe.

A tran-metatarsel amputation means that all my toes are gone and the
foot is about 1/4 to 1/3 shorter than it used to be.

_Dave_

DON LAMSON
DČ CUSTOM FOOTWEAR

824 Chambers Av. Suite A-3
PO Box 4989
Eagle, CO 81631

TEL 970-328-6870
FAX 970-328-6805
www.d2customfootwear.com
Old September 3rd 05, 01:39 PM

Dave wrote;
me. My feet are vastly different in size now and I can't afford to risk
another injury. The next one will cost me half a leg. As soon as I heal

Hi Dave,
Whatever the nature of your previous injury, your concern should
also include the type of bike you will be using. You have a high
probability of developing lower extremity pressure sores, falling off
bike if you use a DF (diamond frame), diabetic metabolic problems like
syncope (fainting), etc. You will do well getting evaluated for a rehab
type trike http://www.angletechcycles.com/bikes/specialneeds , possibly
with optional hand cranks to relieve foot pressure occasionally, or you
could retro fit one of the high quality production trikes (if needed?)
http://www.catrike.com . Look at reviews at http://bentrideronline.com
(forums their also); I love my Catrike Speed, it had me back on the
streets up from a traumatic trochanteric femoral fracture in less than
2 months an I'm now going faster than my 15-1/2 lb DF. An cripple old
lady could ride this "Turbo Wheelchair" and in fact many of them s/b
required (along with other bad drivers, especially driving-cell phone
users), as they endanger and cause even children from riding to school,
causing obesity and environmental toxins(pollution etc).
These people are real nice and provide a free catalog
http://hostelshoppe.com

CU. Mike.

FAQ? Just zis Guy, you know? UK 18 October 1st 03 01:02 PM
Wide Feet and cycling shoes dailuggs UK 2 September 12th 03 10:25 AM
These shoes are rank Kolaga Xiuhtecuhtli General 7 September 9th 03 08:29 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM