Tom Kunich is [an] ass

Old December 29th 05, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Tom Kunich is [an] ass

Michael Press:
David Damerell wrote:
What tin does is group-by-Subject, which is inferior to true threading.
The answer is to get a newsreader which functions correctly.

That is what Tin does by default, but Tin can sort by references.

Aha! I'm glad that's fixed.

2 References, thread on ''References:'' only.
3 Both Subject and References, thread on ''References:'' then
''Subject:'' (default).

So I think option 2 is the right thing here. Presumably what #3 does is to
group by Subject but use References: correctly within sets of articles
with a common Subject line, like Google Groups.
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!
Today is Second Brieday, December.
Old December 30th 05, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

On 27 Dec 2005 05:50:47 GMT, wrote:

Besides, he
didn't seem to be at war with his high school English teacher,
eschewing the **** key, and reasonable spelling and punctuation.

^^^^

I gotta say, Jobst, *that* was a good laugh. I needed that.

Jasper
Old December 30th 05, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 03:42:02 GMT, Michael Press wrote:

Changing the
Subject header in a sub-thread is permissible, even
preferable, in many cases.

When it's actually a sub-thread, yes. When it's just a reply, not.

Jasper
Old December 30th 05, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

On 28 Dec 2005 17:49:27 +0000 (GMT), David Damerell
wrote:

What tin does is group-by-Subject, which is inferior to true threading.

That's a funny way of spelling 'Superior'.

Jasper
Old December 30th 05, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:55:39 -0600, Tim McNamara
wrote:

Given that Jobst uses Emacs, he's got a great option in Gnus right on
his computer (M-x gnus). The current version is 5.10.6, I think; the
CVS version is 5.11. All he has to do is set up his .gnus config file
and he is in business. There are some great e-mail client options as
well.

Doesn't it bother you that what purports to be a text editor can read your
mail and news? Literally, actually, and send responses back all without
you even noticing?

Jasper
Old December 30th 05, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

In article ,
Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 03:42:02 GMT, Michael Press wrote:

Changing the
Subject header in a sub-thread is permissible, even
preferable, in many cases.

When it's actually a sub-thread, yes. When it's just a reply, not.

I have changed a Subject header only to correct a misspelling.

--
Michael Press
Old December 30th 05, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:

Given that Jobst uses Emacs, he's got a great option in Gnus right on
his computer (M-x gnus). The current version is 5.10.6, I think; the
CVS version is 5.11. All he has to do is set up his .gnus config file
and he is in business. There are some great e-mail client options as
well.

Doesn't it bother you that what purports to be a text editor can read your
mail and news? Literally, actually, and send responses back all without
you even noticing?

Not when it's Open Source Software. I'd be more leery of
[back-door goings-on in] certain proprietary applications.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old December 30th 05, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Jasper Janssen writes:

Besides, he didn't seem to be at war with his high school English
teacher, eschewing the **** key, and reasonable spelling and
punctuation. ^^^^

I gotta say, Jobst, *that* was a good laugh. I needed that.

Well, it was Freudian slip but I like it.

Jobst Brandt
Old December 30th 05, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Michael Press writes:

Changing the Subject header in a sub-thread is permissible, even
preferable, in many cases.

When it's actually a sub-thread, yes. When it's just a reply, not.

I have changed a Subject header only to correct a misspelling.

And, as I mentioned, it was not a misspelling but rather a device used
by Charles Dickens that has made its way into literate circles for its
emphasis.

http://www.bartleby.com/73/1002.html

Jobst Brandt