Flat Tyre Question

Old December 15th 03, 05:40 AM
ftf

Default Flat Tyre Question

Deep Freud Moor wrote:
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:33:22 +1100, Big Bill Cody
wrote:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:52:57 +1000, "Ozzii Pete"
wrote:

Hi all, I have a mountain bike with MB tyres on it. My question is, if
I replace the knobby MB tyres with slick tyres, will they me more
prone to getting a puncture?

I don't know whether they are more or less prone to punctures but tyre
liners are wonderful for reducing the incidence of puntures

I have never heard of tyre liners. Like I mentioned before, I just use
an old inner tube, which does the trick.
Is there a specific product that does a better job, and how much is it?
---
DFM

There are several... I have only tried "Mr Tuffy's" and now, I
wouldn't commute without them. They also come in different widths for
different tyres.

They are basically strips of flexible plastic, softer on the edges (to
conform to the curve) and harder in the middle. They will stop (almost)
anything getting to the tube.

The pair I bought 3 or so years ago were $30 for a pair. Cheers, Troy

Old December 16th 03, 06:05 AM
Peter Signorini

"Deep Freud Moors" wrote in
message ...

I have never heard of tyre liners. Like I mentioned before, I just use
an old inner tube, which does the trick.

Is there a specific product that does a better job, and how much is
it?

Mr Tuffy's will work, but they are heavy and when I used them the only
puncture I got was caused by the edge of the overlapped liner.

Also do a sarch for Stan's NoTubes. This is a different approach to the same
problem, and by all accounts very effective, albeit a little more expensive.
But you can do away with tubes & patch kits.

Cheers
Peter

Old December 16th 03, 07:46 AM
John Henderson

"Peter Signorini" wrote:

Mr Tuffy's will work, but they are heavy and when I used them
the only puncture I got was caused by the edge of the
overlapped liner.

I've seen the same problem on a family member's bike. The tube
had actually worn thin at the liner's edge, until it gave way.
There was obviously localised friction.

John

Old December 16th 03, 10:06 PM
agamlen

Ozzii Pete wrote:
Hi all, I have a mountain bike with MB tyres on it.
My question is, if I replace the knobby MB tyres with slick tyres, will they
me more prone to getting a puncture?

Thanks again. Pete

I find that when I get a puncture in my mtb slicks (cheap $15 dunlops)
that if I check the tyre I find 4 or 5 slivers of glass in it all ready
and waiting to work there way in and make more punctures.

Old December 16th 03, 10:09 PM
Jose Rizal

Peter Signorini:

Also do a sarch for Stan's NoTubes. This is a different approach to the same
problem, and by all accounts very effective, albeit a little more expensive.
But you can do away with tubes & patch kits.

Not by all accounts are NoTubes effective. I know of at least three
ex-users who went back to inner tubes, albeit they rode mostly on
offroad tracks. Also have a read of some of the message boards at
mtbreview.com, and you'll see that NoTubes seem to be both loathed and
loved.
Old December 24th 03, 11:52 PM
ProfTournesol

does anyone have any experience or views on this?
http://www.notubes.com/aboutTubeless.htm

pretty impressive videos. I'm thinking about it for a road bike (700C

-