Best multi tool for touring

Old December 22nd 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
cmcanulty

Default Best multi tool for touring

Can we discuss the best overall multi tool, price, weight, functions?
Especially for touring
Old December 22nd 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Take a look at a Leatherman with pliers in combination with a cycler's
hex key set
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...=8 &image.y=7

Wesco offers the Gerber River Knife and a very useable 18" machete for
$14 - paint bright yellow for chopping, burial and self defense in
fixed blades below
http://www.wescooutfitters.com/c-428...cessories.aspx

http://www.wescooutfitters.com/p-958...ath-black.aspx

and bring a police canister of genuine MACE

and WalMart's $2 vicegrip fileable/grindable to axle cone width's
Old December 22nd 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:48:43 -0800 (PST), cmcanulty
wrote:

Can we discuss the best overall multi tool, price, weight, functions?
Especially for touring

Dear CM,

The 10-ounce Harris multi-tool at the bottom of this page is
unquestionably the best overall multi-tool:

http://www.nostalgic.net/index.asp?S...2D94pg27%2Ejpg

None of the inadequate modern multi-tools that you will hear praised
in later replies include the essential oil-can or bicycle pump.

More seriously, the subject usually involves debates about trivial
weight differences on gadgets (often no longer manufactured) whose
various tools can go unused for years.

Such debates can be enjoyable, but they tend to be rather theoretical.
Anyone touring can easily carry a few separate tools and do just fine.

Here's what Jobst suggests for touring the Alps for several weeks:

http://www.trentobike.org/General/Packing_List.html

That was back in 1998. No sign of an oil can.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old December 22nd 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

Can we discuss the best overall multi tool, price, weight, functions?
Especially for touring

The Topeak Hexus takes care of just about everything I've come across. I
think that, combined with a lightweight swiss army knife sort of tool, could
handle whatever you need. Just make sure you've got a way to remove &
tighten your cranks. I have sometimes come across chains that simpy could
not be extracted from being jammed in between the crank and frame without
removing the crank arm. But even that's a very rare thing to happen.

For what it's worth, nobody seems to be taking the high road on multi-tools.
You'd think by now somebody would come out with a $100 unit with carbon
fiber shell and titanium bits & pieces (where appropriate). People shell out
tons of money on helmets, so it's curious to me that someone doesn't tap a
similar market for tools.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old December 22nd 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

and WalMart's $2 vicegrip fileable/grindable to axle cone width's

So THAT explains some of the stuff I've been seing come in the door lately!
I'm all for customers learning how to work on their own bikes, but...

Old December 22nd 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

don't forget this stuff straight from MOMA

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...ategoryid=5110
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...ct_id=5431B705
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...0226&langId=-1
the can opener is probabbbbly the world's best: Chinese Army Issue ?
the oil can is a completely different item as .... never mind.
But we suggest a Finish Line 4 oz Epic bottle filled with Valvoline
synthetic transmission oil

People do not use visegrip correctly as using the knob to widen the
plier once on the nut or shaft or WIRE! Then ah squezzzing down.

Leatherman went Ti
Old December 22nd 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

forgot the otherspoon

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...0226&langId=-1
Old December 22nd 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

Can we discuss the best overall multi tool, price, weight, functions?
Especially for touring

The Topeak Hexus takes care of just about everything I've come across. I
think that, combined with a lightweight swiss army knife sort of tool, could
handle whatever you need. Just make sure you've got a way to remove &
tighten your cranks. I have sometimes come across chains that simpy could
not be extracted from being jammed in between the crank and frame without
removing the crank arm. But even that's a very rare thing to happen.

The Hexus looks very similar to my much-loved Crank Bros. Multi-17. The
Multi doesn't have tire levers, but it does have 8 and 10 mm open-ended
wrenches, and 4 (!) sizes of spoke wrench.

For touring, others have more experience than me, but I would add a
Leatherman-type tool for the pliers and hopefully a cable-cutter, on the
principle that you'll likely want them for non-bike stuff.

The Multi has gotten me out of a jam or two, and I have rescued several
cyclists on rides, including one because I could adjust his rear
derailer in some way or another, and one or two other people because I
was able to use the chain tool to remove a burst link and reassemble the
shortened chain.

For what it's worth, nobody seems to be taking the high road on multi-tools.
You'd think by now somebody would come out with a $100 unit with carbon
fiber shell and titanium bits & pieces (where appropriate). People shell out
tons of money on helmets, so it's curious to me that someone doesn't tap a
similar market for tools.

Boy-racers don't carry multi-tools during races, and tourists prize
toughness over lightness.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing
Old December 22nd 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

I was able to use the chain tool to remove a burst link and reassemble
the
shortened chain.

THAT'S FANATSTIC! go with the Crank Bro.

Old December 22nd 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

datakoll wrote:
Take a look at a Leatherman with pliers in combination with a cycler's
hex key set
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...=8 &image.y=7
Wesco offers the Gerber River Knife and a very useable 18" machete for
$14 - paint bright yellow for chopping, burial and self defense in
fixed blades below
http://www.wescooutfitters.com/c-428...cessories.aspx
http://www.wescooutfitters.com/p-958...ath-black.aspx
and bring a police canister of genuine MACE
and WalMart's $2 vicegrip fileable/grindable to axle cone width's

Nice, but 'the right tool for each job', as they say. Timmy likes a
one-meter broadsword for clearing a swath in traffic:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/SWORD.JPG
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org