thunderbolts and lightning

Old August 13th 09, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_18_]

Default thunderbolts and lightning

Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:

30 s = 6 miles, which frankly isn't enough for me, given how far
lightning can travel from a cloud. Sounds like a nicely arbitrary
rule of thumb.

Yes, it was. They were trying to give rules of thumb for when to take cover
on a hiking or backpacking trip, especially in mountainous areas.

Pat in TX

Old August 13th 09, 08:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Sir Ridesalot

On Aug 12, 1:51*pm, Kristian M Zoerhoff
On 2009-08-12, Jobst Brandt wrote:

Make that 4.7 seconds per mile (speed of sound at sea level) and I'm
sure I'm not the only one to have been in thunderstorms where
lightning and thunder were essentially at the same time... while
making an extremely sharp crack similar in nature to am M1 rifle
bullet passing nearby (Mach 2) followed by the usual reverberations
that roar and rumble. *The last time I experienced that, hail was
bouncing off the street about a foot high.

Better than off your head. That actually happened to me once, but I
was wearing a h*lm*t that day, so my scalp was spared some bruises.
Luckily I was close to shelter, so I got out of it fast. I do think
my hailstones were a good bit smaller than yours, however, as I don't
remember them bouncing quite so high.

Split trees are a common sight in thunder storm areas, however, I don't
know what sort of cover one can seek from lightning unless it is being
near taller obstacles rather than under a tree or in a shed.

Here in the Midwest, they claim that lying down in a ditch or shallow
depression in the ground is the safest position. As the grass is sometimes
the tallest thing around, it's as good a place as any.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Hi there.

You might want to look at the last lightning safety hint on this page,
http://climate.virginia.edu/lightnin...ingsafety.html "If you're
hopelessly isolated in a level field of prairie and you feel your hair
stand on end - indicating that lightning is about to strike - drop to
your knees and bend forward putting your hands on your knees. Do not
lie flat on the ground."

Cheers from Peter
Old August 13th 09, 09:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Sir Ridesalot

On Aug 10, 10:37*am, "recycled" wrote:
....very, very frightening.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3081781

All kinds of weather warnings and watches yesterday on the weather bug. But
at 11am I figure a dawdle around town was doable. No surprise as soon as I
get out the rain starts. Only a few drops at first but the sky is ominously
dark, almost green. I can see a layer along the river. Heading north, up
again from the river the rain starts in earnest along with said thunder and
lightning. I consider turning back but it still has that distant quality. I
was not going to get too far from home but instead do a loop around town. At
Woodlawn I make my turn to go east. Before I make Victoria Rd the sky seems
to be brightening a little. The rain has abated. I turn south again and
decide to extend the loop down to Arkell Rd. But for a zig on Gordon it
makes my route as close to a square as possible. But coming back up
Edinburgh Rd the sun actually peaks out and although still very humid I
figure I can extend my ride. I pass my place continuing for a second go
around. Though instead this time I turn at Speedvale and take it all the way
out of town for a wider shorter loop. Wellington Rd 29 is my return leg
where I pass a couple others serious riders going the opposite way. I turn
at Arkell Rd. again for the same run home.

*The real storm came that night as I was pondering a night run when the
skies open up and I was treated to a light show that lasted a good 30
minutes.

Hi there.

From the site at http://www.health.state.ny.us/enviro...her/lightning/
on lightning safety it says this:

If you are caught outside: (If you are unable to reach a safe building
or car, knowing what to do can save your life.)

If your skin tingles or your hair stands on the end, a lightning
strike may be about to happen. Crouch down on the balls of your feet
with your feet close together. Keep your hands on your knees and lower
your head. Get as low as possible without touching your hands or knees
to the ground. DO NOT LIE DOWN!

If you are on land, find a low spot away from trees, metal fences,
pipes, tall or long objects.

If you are in the woods, look for an area of shorter trees. Crouch
down away from tree trunks.

Helping someone who is struck by lightning

When someone is struck by lightning, get emergency medical help as
soon as possible. If more than one person is struck by lightning,
treat those who are unconscious first. They are at greatest risk of
dying. A person struck by lightning may appear dead, with no pulse or
breath. Often the person can be revived with cardiopulmonary
resuscitation (CPR). There is no danger to anyone helping a person who
has been struck by lightning - no electric charge remains. CPR should
be attempted immediately.

Treat those who are injured but conscious next. Common injuries from
being struck by lightning are burns, wounds and fractures.

Cheers from Peter
Old August 13th 09, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
biker

On Aug 12, 6:50*pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
Jobst Brandt wrote:

OMG!!! *He fixed it!!!

Bill "I /do/ believe in miracles" S.

I thought I'd never see the day. Congrat's JB
Old August 13th 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
recycled[_4_]

"Pat" wrote in message
Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:

30 s = 6 miles, which frankly isn't enough for me, given how far
lightning can travel from a cloud. Sounds like a nicely arbitrary
rule of thumb.

Yes, it was. They were trying to give rules of thumb for when to take
cover on a hiking or backpacking trip, especially in mountainous areas.

While I survived I suspect my PC may not have been so lucky. Started having
problems on Tuesday.

Old August 14th 09, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_18_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

You might want to look at the last lightning safety hint on this page,
http://climate.virginia.edu/lightnin...ingsafety.html "If you're
hopelessly isolated in a level field of prairie and you feel your hair
stand on end - indicating that lightning is about to strike - drop to
your knees and bend forward putting your hands on your knees. Do not
lie flat on the ground."

Cheers from Peter

Is this before or after you kiss your ass goodbye?

Old August 15th 09, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Sir Ridesalot

http://climate.virginia.edu/lightning/lightningsafety.html"If you're
hopelessly isolated in a level field of prairie and you feel your hair
stand on end - indicating that lightning is about to strike - drop to
your knees and bend forward putting your hands on your knees. Do not
lie flat on the ground."

Cheers from Peter

Is this before or after you kiss your ass goodbye?

Hi there.

Apparently by squatting on the balls of your feet and with your feet
close together allows the current to run through you and into the
ground. That cannot happen if your feet are wide apart or you are
lying on the ground. It is also advised to cover your ears with your
hands to help protect your hearing. On different sites where I read
about this position it seems that they all agree on one thing -- that
this position is a *LAST RESORT* defence to be used only if you cannot
quickly get to safe shelter. Open sided pavilions and/or recessed
doorways are not safe locales to wait out a lightning storm due to the
positive and negative properties of the lightning bolts, the open area
of the shelter and the human body. I've read many times that pavilions
and recessed doorways *INCREASE* your chance of being struck by
lightning.

Cheers from Peter
Old August 15th 09, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ralph Barone

In article
,
Sir Ridesalot wrote:

On Aug 14, 5:56*pm, "Pat" wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Not quite... Squatting gets you as low to the ground as possible so
that there is less chance of lightning hitting you DIRECTLY. Keeping
your feet together minimizes the electric currents that might run
through your body should lightning hit NEAR you. When lightning hits
the ground it sets up voltage gradients in the soil (like ripples in a
pond). The closer together your feet are, the less voltage there is
across your feet, and the less likely you are for a deadly amount of
current to go up through your feet and stop your heart. If you are ever
near a downed high-voltage electrical wire, you are supposed to shuffle
your feet very close together for exactly the same reason.
Old August 15th 09, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Sir Ridesalot

On Aug 14, 9:43*pm, Ralph Barone wrote:
In article
,
*Sir Ridesalot wrote:

On Aug 14, 5:56*pm, "Pat" wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

your feet very close together for exactly the same reason.- Hide quoted text -

Hi and thanks for the correction regarding a NEAR STRIKE.

Cheers from Peter
Old August 15th 09, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Simon Lewis

Sir Ridesalot writes:

On Aug 14, 5:56*pm, "Pat" wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

You might want to look at the last lightning safety hint on this page,
http://climate.virginia.edu/lightning/lightningsafety.html"If you're
hopelessly isolated in a level field of prairie and you feel your hair
stand on end - indicating that lightning is about to strike - drop to
your knees and bend forward putting your hands on your knees. Do not
lie flat on the ground."

Cheers from Peter

Is this before or after you kiss your ass goodbye?

Hi there.

Apparently by squatting on the balls of your feet and with your feet
close together allows the current to run through you and into the
ground. That cannot happen if your feet are wide apart or you are
lying on the ground. It is also advised to cover your ears with your

What a load of codswallop.

hands to help protect your hearing. On different sites where I read
about this position it seems that they all agree on one thing -- that
this position is a *LAST RESORT* defence to be used only if you cannot
quickly get to safe shelter. Open sided pavilions and/or recessed
doorways are not safe locales to wait out a lightning storm due to the
positive and negative properties of the lightning bolts, the open area
of the shelter and the human body. I've read many times that pavilions
and recessed doorways *INCREASE* your chance of being struck by
lightning.

Cheers from Peter

lightning Callistus Valerius Techniques 47 July 14th 07 12:07 AM
Will Lightning Ever Strike Again? [email protected] Recumbent Biking 4 January 25th 06 01:18 PM
Struck by Lightning? Sheldon Brown General 87 June 12th 05 11:42 PM
Mostly OT, lightning MartinM UK 37 August 6th 04 11:56 PM
Thunderbolts and lightning Andrew Price General 13 February 13th 04 10:19 PM