Punctures

Old December 10th 03, 12:05 AM
Arctic Corsair

Default Punctures

Hi,

I'm having some problems with punctures lately.

I'm thinking that there may be a problem with the wheel as the punctures are
tending to be on the underside of the inner tube near to the valve. I've
had the tyre off and have checked for protruding/sharp spokes and have found
nothing. All the spokes seem to be tight.

Anyway, i'm gonna take it in to a local shop in the morning to get it
checked.

Was also wondering if it's worth getting a tube of that Inner Tube Slime or
is it just a gimmick?

Mick in Hull

Old December 10th 03, 12:07 AM
AndyMorris

Arctic Corsair wrote:
Hi,

I'm having some problems with punctures lately.

I'm thinking that there may be a problem with the wheel as the
punctures are tending to be on the underside of the inner tube near
to the valve. I've had the tyre off and have checked for
protruding/sharp spokes and have found nothing. All the spokes
seem to be tight.

Anyway, i'm gonna take it in to a local shop in the morning to get it
checked.

Was also wondering if it's worth getting a tube of that Inner Tube
Slime or is it just a gimmick?

Mick in Hull

A coupla ideas...

Do you have a tube with a presta valve in a rim with a schraeder hole?

Do you have that cheap and nasty rim tape that can move around? Get Velox.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Old December 10th 03, 12:27 AM
Arctic Corsair

I have Raleigh branded tubes with the usual Schraeder valves. At the
moment, I have the rim tape that was supplied with the bike.

FWIW I ride a Raleigh MTB but i'll be going to better one in the summer.
I've not ridden a bike in years so got a cheapo one to start me back into
the whole cycling thing :-)

Old December 10th 03, 01:10 AM
Vincent Wilcox

Arctic Corsair wrote:

I'm thinking that there may be a problem with the wheel as the punctures are
tending to be on the underside of the inner tube near to the valve.

How near the valve? I had a spate of punctures which ended
up being caused by rim tape that couldnt handle high
pressures. When pumped up the tape (plastic) expanded into
the spoke hole causing the tube to get pinched in the gap.
What rim tape do you have?

Was also wondering if it's worth getting a tube of that Inner Tube Slime or
is it just a gimmick?

Depends on your tyre, Ive found on high pressure racer tyres
if your front punctures you end up getting a mouth full of
slime before you stop with a near as good flat tyre. Works
better on wider lower pressure tyres say 32 or larger.

Old December 10th 03, 01:17 AM
Pete Biggs

Arctic Corsair wrote:
I'm thinking that there may be a problem with the wheel as the
punctures are tending to be on the underside of the inner tube near
to the valve. I've had the tyre off and have checked for
protruding/sharp spokes and have found nothing. All the spokes
seem to be tight.

Anyway, i'm gonna take it in to a local shop in the morning to get it
checked.

Some rim tapes supplied with new bikes aren't up to the job. Unless
you/they are certain that it's good, ask the shop to change it for a
better type.

Was also wondering if it's worth getting a tube of that Inner Tube
Slime or is it just a gimmick?

More than a gimmick - but you need to solve the cause anyway if wheel is
causing the punctures. To tackle repeated normal punctures, though,
simply replacing tyres for ones with thicker rubber is better than messing
about with any special products on the inside.

~PB

Old December 10th 03, 08:14 PM
MSA

"Pete Biggs" wrote in message
Arctic Corsair wrote:
[...]

Buy and install Velox rim tape. Buy and install tyre liners. Unless your
REALLY unlucky, no more punctures.

--
Mark

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak"

Repeat Punctures Stephen Liddell UK 5 August 3rd 03 02:51 PM
punctures Steve Watkin UK 5 July 31st 03 10:06 PM