Shaving Legs

Old November 18th 03, 03:16 AM
bERNARDg

Default Shaving Legs

Started road racing this year at the age of 41 & want to shave my legs as i
recently traded the baggies for lycra i might as well go all the way.......

Question is
What is the best method of doing this ......my wife tried wax last night
which hurt like hell as a result i have several patches of hairless skin now
as this lasted about 60 seconds..the wife enjoyed it though.....

regards

Old November 18th 03, 06:08 AM
Jose Rizal

bERNARDg:

Started road racing this year at the age of 41 & want to shave my legs as i
recently traded the baggies for lycra i might as well go all the way.......

Question is
What is the best method of doing this ......my wife tried wax last night
which hurt like hell as a result i have several patches of hairless skin now
as this lasted about 60 seconds..the wife enjoyed it though.....

Why do you want to shave your legs?
Old November 18th 03, 06:09 AM
hippy

"bERNARDg" wrote in message
.. .
What is the best method of doing this ......my wife tried wax last

night
which hurt like hell as a result i have several patches of hairless

skin now
as this lasted about 60 seconds..the wife enjoyed it though.....

Your wife should know... but... get a 'new' razor and
just shave 'em in the shower (your legs!). Pull the
razor bottom to top.

You don't HAVE to shave though.. remember this! ;-)

hippy

Old November 18th 03, 07:49 AM
Mike

bERNARDg wrote:
Started road racing this year at the age of 41 & want to shave my legs as i

For what reason?
If you are a bit hirstute and want to ditch the Wookie look,
consider using electric hair clippers, without the comb.
Its a bit less drastic than waxing.

Old November 18th 03, 10:05 AM
Andrew Morris

"Jose Rizal" wrote in message
ink.net...
bERNARDg:

Started road racing this year at the age of 41 & want to shave my legs

as i
recently traded the baggies for lycra i might as well go all the

way.......

Question is
What is the best method of doing this ......my wife tried wax last night
which hurt like hell as a result i have several patches of hairless skin

now
as this lasted about 60 seconds..the wife enjoyed it though.....

Why do you want to shave your legs?

Have you ever had gravel nail brushed out of hairy legs???

When I was riding road, and offroad, I used a pair of clippers, with a #1
comb, and took my legs back to #1... Had a couple of needs for having gravel
brushed out, and nowhere near as bad as with long hair on the legs...

Try Nair??, or one of the comparative exfoliating creams... I found them
ok, way back when I wanted no hair on my legs...

But realistically, the best result is waxing, or epilady / epilator...
Hurts like a *******, but lasts longer....

Old November 18th 03, 10:26 AM
Andrew Morris

I used to lean the body, but having some confidence issues on my new bike,
and don't lean as far as I used to...

Mostly I'm chickening out more, but then again, these days I know it will
hurt more...

I think it largely depends on how sticky your tyres are... I am running
Michelin Pro-Race rubber at the moment, and when hot, they are sticky as
hell, but when cold, and/or wet, they are slippery as all buggery...

I have heard that the Vittoria Rubina Pro's (from the guy at the shop, when
I was talking to him earlier today) are a lot better in the wet than the
Michelins...

I think that a compact frame (if you're on one) makes it that little bit
harder to corner fast, due to the small rear triangle... My old bikes
(Gitane Allure - circa 1982) and Avanti Corsa (1998) were a lot faster on
corners, but neither were compacts...

"hippy" wrote in message
How do you guys corner on fast descents?

Is your body on the same vertical axis as the
bike while leaning in or do you lean the bike
into the corner and keep you body more upright?
Or maybe even lean your body and keep the
bike upright (strange?).

I seem to constantly understeer and run wide
on fast, downhill corners and I'm wondering
if my technique needs some work...

hippy

Old November 18th 03, 02:11 PM
Fred Nieman

bERNARDg wrote:

Started road racing this year at the age of 41 & want to shave my legs as i
recently traded the baggies for lycra i might as well go all the way.......

Question is
What is the best method of doing this ......my wife tried wax last night
which hurt like hell as a result i have several patches of hairless skin now
as this lasted about 60 seconds..the wife enjoyed it though.....

regards

Whatever method you use, remember to apply lots of one of those
sun-screen lotions that give you a fake tan (along with a standard spf
30+, naturally) for your first 3 or 4 rides after the deforestation.

Of course, the *real* reason (male) bicycle-types do the leg-shave thing
is, well, because it just looks so cool.

But...

(I'm making a completely unjustified (except statistically) assumption
here that your legs, plus the rest of you, are misc.
northern/western/eastern/southern-but-still-not-olive-enough European)

...shaven lily-white legs? No-one wants to see that. So: please, think
of the children, etc.

xxx

ps: the problem with fake-tan lotions is that they work extra-well on
scars, in exactly the same way that a real sun-tan doesn't... and
remember to wash your hands afterwards, or they'll look bizarrely
nicotine stained. Or, ahem, so I've heard from people who go the Ambre
Solaire...

pps: I have a roadie friend (bike, not band) who swears by "Nair"...
Old November 19th 03, 01:25 AM
Mohammad Atta

The only reason to shave would be to look like the rest of the
roadies..........no other reason..soft i know.........

my wife recommended waxing..........I falled off the road bike twice at
around 35Kph & stacked it **** loads on the mountain bike on single
trails......but never hurt like waxing.....
completed the complete lower right leg last night..........Major
Pain.........

Sorry but i must be a woose.................

Old November 19th 03, 02:15 AM
Tim Jones

"bERNARDg" wrote in message
.. .
Started road racing this year at the age of 41 & want to shave my legs as

recently traded the baggies for lycra i might as well go all the

way.......

Question is
What is the best method of doing this ......my wife tried wax last night
which hurt like hell as a result i have several patches of hairless skin

now
as this lasted about 60 seconds..the wife enjoyed it though.....

regards

SQUEAMISH READER DO NOT READ ON

OK, now that the legal stuff is out of the way...

Just to add to this, does anyone wax their butt?

When I do a decent ride (for me - 25 - 40km is the larger rides I do) I end
up with saddle discomfort that I think is from the butt hairs getting pulled
as I ride.

Does anyone else get this? I know it's not exactly a topic for polite
conversation, but it made my ride in uncomfortable this morning.

Thanks for anyone who got this far without need to shut down their PC!

Cheers,

Tim

Old November 19th 03, 07:43 AM
Mike

Mohammad Atta wrote:

my wife recommended waxing..........

Waxing makes it smoothest, but real men use electric clippers.

Sorry but i must be a woose.................

If you must wax, try 2 paracetemol half an hour or more beforehand.