Shaving Legs

Old November 19th 03, 07:44 AM
Andrew Swan

Default Shaving Legs

bERNARDg wrote:
Started road racing this year at the age of 41 & want to shave my legs as i
recently traded the baggies for lycra i might as well go all the way.......

Question is
What is the best method of doing this ......my wife tried wax last night
which hurt like hell as a result i have several patches of hairless skin now
as this lasted about 60 seconds..the wife enjoyed it though.....

regards

My esteemed hippy colleague reckons a sharp razor, but my g/f and I
prefer a blunt razor. Unless you're REALLY careful (like I wasn't the
first time) you will cut off large slabs of skin especially around the
tendons and bony bits. It's not like shaving your face where the skin is
relatively tough and flat (being free of the aforementioned tendons and
bony bits).

Also you might find it easier to reach everywhere if you sit down in the
bath rather than stand in the shower. Also if you are sitting, the leg
bears no weight = the muscles don't tense up = the skin is flat and
easier to shave. Not an issue if you can balance on one leg in a
slippery shower indefinitely. Also after soaking in the bath for a
while, the skin softens up and becomes easier to shave.

Go against the grain like the other poster said.

After you get out, put some kind of lotion on the shaved area so it
doesn't get all dry and itchy. I use Vaseline Intensive Care.

Never tried waxing or Nair.

P.S. I agree - nothing's worse to look at than knicks with hair poking
out of the fabric everywhere. And even if you don't fall off or get
massages all the time (two of the often-quoted reasons for shaving),
you'll find it much easier to apply and remove sunscreen, and you'll use
less of it. I'm not sure whether having no leg hair is cooler
(temperature wise) or not, though - anyone?

&roo

Old November 19th 03, 09:38 PM
hippy

"Tim Jones" wrote in message
u...
SQUEAMISH READER DO NOT READ ON

Must not read... but... so... curious...

OK, now that the legal stuff is out of the way...

Just to add to this, does anyone wax their butt?

AAAAAAAAIIIEEEEEEE!! NNOOOOOO!!!! ;-)

No, butt then I don't have a hairy butt, afaik! :-)

When I do a decent ride (for me - 25 - 40km is the larger rides I do)

I end
up with saddle discomfort that I think is from the butt hairs getting

pulled
as I ride.

Sure it's not the shape of the saddle or dodgy nicks?

Thanks for anyone who got this far without need to shut down their PC!

I'll be in councilling for years.. butt, no worries ;-)

a disturbed hippy

Old November 19th 03, 09:48 PM
hippy

"Andrew Swan" wrote in message
My esteemed hippy colleague reckons a sharp razor, but my g/f and I

hehe :-)

prefer a blunt razor. Unless you're REALLY careful (like I wasn't the
first time) you will cut off large slabs of skin especially around the
tendons and bony bits.

You need to go slower...

Also you might find it easier to reach everywhere if you sit down in

the
bath rather than stand in the shower.

Good idea!

Also if you are sitting, the leg
bears no weight = the muscles don't tense up = the skin is flat and
easier to shave. Not an issue if you can balance on one leg in a
slippery shower indefinitely. Also after soaking in the bath for a
while, the skin softens up and becomes easier to shave.

Hmm.. I always found it easier when, say, my calf _was_ tensed up.
Gives a harder surface to shave up and no loose skin to end up in
the razor. I trained for many years in the art of one-legged shower
balancing, btw... ;-)

After you get out, put some kind of lotion on the shaved area so it
doesn't get all dry and itchy. I use Vaseline Intensive Care.

You GIRL! ;-)

I'm not sure whether having no leg hair is cooler
(temperature wise) or not, though - anyone?

It feels cooler, at least it did the first time I did it.
I've been of the hairy kind for ages now.. I'm just too
lazy to shave. I work with a triathlete who gets waxed
and he reckons it's heaps better than shaving but I don't
think I'd do it (unless it was for a dare/bet ;-)). Having
him in the office also removes most of the stigma
attached to guys shaving legs :-)

hippy

Old November 19th 03, 11:49 PM
Tim Jones

"hippy" wrote in message
"Tim Jones" wrote in message
u...
SQUEAMISH READER DO NOT READ ON

Must not read... but... so... curious...

OK, now that the legal stuff is out of the way...

Just to add to this, does anyone wax their butt?

AAAAAAAAIIIEEEEEEE!! NNOOOOOO!!!! ;-)

No, butt then I don't have a hairy butt, afaik! :-)

When I do a decent ride (for me - 25 - 40km is the larger rides I do)

I end
up with saddle discomfort that I think is from the butt hairs getting

pulled
as I ride.

Sure it's not the shape of the saddle or dodgy nicks?

Might be. I swapped my MTB saddle I got with my new bike with my old Vetta
road saddle - perhaps it isn't cussioning enough for the rougher riding?

Also, I didn't notice it this morning wearing my Campaglio nicks, compared
to it happening with the Look nicks. I'll have to keep track of it...

Thanks for anyone who got this far without need to shut down their PC!

I'll be in councilling for years.. butt, no worries ;-)

a disturbed hippy

Hope you don't always see a hairy butt in the ink splotches while in
psychotherapy.

Thanks for your advice, even if it does come from a hairless one!

;-)

Tim

Old November 20th 03, 12:06 AM
hippy

"Tim Jones" wrote in message
u...
Might be. I swapped my MTB saddle I got with my new bike with my old

Vetta
road saddle - perhaps it isn't cussioning enough for the rougher

riding?

Maybe it's the material covering the seat? Try a few out if you can.
Mmm... Selle Italia Gel Flite Titanium...

Also, I didn't notice it this morning wearing my Campaglio nicks,

compared
to it happening with the Look nicks. I'll have to keep track of it...

I want a full report on my newsreader by 8am friday! (not really!) ;-)

Hope you don't always see a hairy butt in the ink splotches while in
psychotherapy.

I'm sure I'll be ok, butt it might just take some time ;-)

hippy
hairless wonder

Old November 20th 03, 12:18 AM
BernardG

Well last night I got the electric shaver out & using the trimmer removed
all leg hair ....
I was told to do this by our recepionist & then use wax .
In this wax there is no pain when applying wax & only when removing...& Im
assured by her that it will hurt nowhere near as before.......being the hair
is much shorter
But then my wife said something similar...............One plus is that my
wife thinks the new look is very attractive & wished she had my
legs........hmmmmm could lead to more horizontal efforts

BernardG

Old November 20th 03, 05:30 AM
hippy

"BernardG" wrote in message
.. .
But then my wife said something similar...............One plus is that

my
wife thinks the new look is very attractive & wished she had my
legs........hmmmmm could lead to more horizontal efforts

Now you're starting to see the real reason people do it... ;-)

hippy
"Where did I put that razor..."

Old November 20th 03, 12:41 PM
Brizza

Iwaxed last year but had a crash in March and am considering the
deforestation for summer. It is much cooler without the hair, and would
heal quicker.

I prefer waxing cause I don't feel like a cactus a few days later.
Waxing then epilady requires less maintenance, and hell you build your
pain tollerance

Currently the guys in the bunch chat about my hairy legs like I
shouldn't be there, however it makes no performance difference and there
not there at the finish

Though each time I wonder how far do I wax, I have my concerns for the
butt waxer.

Brian

Old November 20th 03, 07:21 PM
kingsley

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:15:17 +1100, Tim Jones wrote:

SQUEAMISH READER DO NOT READ ON

OK, now that the legal stuff is out of the way...

Just to add to this, does anyone wax their butt?

When I do a decent ride (for me - 25 - 40km is the larger rides I do) I end
up with saddle discomfort that I think is from the butt hairs getting pulled
as I ride.

I reckon that this is caused by the hair chaffing(sp?) the skin.
Rub some baby oil, vaso, suchlike *before* you ride, and it will
help... that's been my experience anyway. I only ever worry about
it for rides 2x-3x longer than normal. Extra marks if you can get
your SO to rub it on for you

I think if you wax/shave the re-growth will make you regret it,
but let us know how it works out!

-kt

Old November 21st 03, 05:23 AM
Andrew Morris

"Mike" wrote in message ...
Mohammad Atta wrote:

my wife recommended waxing..........

Waxing makes it smoothest, but real men use electric clippers.

Sorry but i must be a woose.................

If you must wax, try 2 paracetemol half an hour or more beforehand.

You blokes are weak... ;-)

I used to use a Braun Silk Epil on both legs, all the way to the "yeouch"
bikini line... Never used any painkillers or anything...

I do, however suggest cutting the hair to a #1 or #2 before using one, as
the longer the hair, the more painful it is on the way out for some
reason...

the dilemma I used to have was how high to go.... Then when you wear
Speedo's (which I don't very often) you know EXACTLY how high to go... ;-)

I was going to do my legs today, but gave up a little above the ankles...
will do them next week when I have more time...

reason I decided to do them again, was chatting to a bloke down Beach Road
this morning, who had some pretty serious scarring, from having infection
post-fall with hairy legs... I have no desire to be looking like that if
I come off...