Road Bike Recommendations (AU$2500 - $3000)

Old April 20th 04, 03:42 AM
Dominic Sansom

Default Road Bike Recommendations (AU$2500 - $3000)

I have a friend who has been bitten (badly) by the bike bug. He has m
old Avanti Triplo (great bike for the price) but is now after a ne
ride. He's looking at Giant, Litespeed with carbon forks, seatpost an
ultegra gruppo, but would like so more sugestions

We ride almost every morning 25-30km and 50-100km on weekend

Any recommendations or thoughts ??

Thanks in advance

-

Old April 20th 04, 04:00 AM
flyingdutch

Dominic Sansom wrote:
I have a friend who has been bitten (badly) by the bike bug. He has my
old Avanti Triplo (great bike for the price) but is now after a new
ride. He's looking at Giant, Litespeed with carbon forks, seatpost and
ultegra gruppo, but would like so more sugestions.
We ride almost every morning 25-30km and 50-100km on weekends
Any recommendations or thoughts ???
Thanks in advance!

Litespeed with carbon forks for under 3K? surely you jes

If you are in Melbourne take a squiz at SHM store in Bourke St they'r
closing and got 20% off their bike at the m

Luverly Orbeas there. got a Felt Ultegra/DA mix for low 2k too

-

Old April 20th 04, 04:42 AM
Dominic Sansom

flyingdutch wrote:
Litespeed with carbon forks for under 3K? surely you jest
If you are in Melbourne take a squiz at SHM store in Bourke St they're
closing and got 20% off their bike at the mo
Luverly Orbeas there. got a Felt Ultegra/DA mix for low 2k too!

Flyingdutch... thank

I agree we'd be hard pushed to find a Litespeed w/carbon forks a
that price

We're not in Australia and there's no bike LBSs here. Does SMH hav
a web site

The Felt U/DA sounds good

-

Old April 20th 04, 07:00 AM
flyingdutch

smh.com.a

where are you

felt have a good site too (unsure of exact address...

-

Old April 20th 04, 08:00 AM
Dominic Sansom

flyingdutch wrote:
smh.com.au
where are you?
felt have a good site too (unsure of exact address...)

Whoops! smh.com.au is the Sydney Morning Herald site... and shm.com.a
is still under construction

I found their phone no. at yellowpages.com.au and I've passed that on t
my mate (he'll be in Oz in a couple of weeks)

Felt site is http://www.feltracing.com/ luuuverly bikes!!

Where am I? Suva, Fiji. There's a handfull of roadies who try and rid
most days and have a nice long Sunday Morning cycle that ends with baco
and eggs at my place. You're welcome to join us

Thanks again for your help

-

Old April 20th 04, 11:26 AM
NickZX6R

Dominic Sansom wrote:

flyingdutch wrote:
smh.com.au
where are you?
felt have a good site too (unsure of exact address...)

Whoops! smh.com.au is the Sydney Morning Herald site... and shm.com.au
is still under construction.

I found their phone no. at yellowpages.com.au and I've passed that on to
my mate (he'll be in Oz in a couple of weeks).

Felt site is http://www.feltracing.com/ luuuverly bikes!!!

Where am I? Suva, Fiji. There's a handfull of roadies who try and ride
most days and have a nice long Sunday Morning cycle that ends with bacon

--

Their website is actually http://www.shmbikes.com.au/
but unfortunately most of the links on it are broken, so

Cheers.
--
Nick
Old April 20th 04, 01:00 PM
Jhikers

Can only talk for my local bike shop on Chapel St:

SCOTT:
- AFD Team 04 (105) - $2499rrp, $2249
- AFD Pro 04 (Ultegra) lighter frame than Giant TCR - $2999rrp, $2699
(My personal recommendation)

GIANT
- TCR 04 (Ultegra) - $2799rrp, $2519
- TCR Composite 2 - (Ultegra, carbon frame) - clearance sale at
something ridiculous like: $3049.20

www.freedommachine.com.au check website, ship anywhere in Aus

Old April 21st 04, 01:42 AM
jimmy kazimmy

Dominic Sansom wrote:
I have a friend who has been bitten (badly) by the bike bug. He has my
old Avanti Triplo (great bike for the price) but is now after a new
ride. He's looking at Giant, Litespeed with carbon forks, seatpost and
ultegra gruppo, but would like so more sugestions.
We ride almost every morning 25-30km and 50-100km on weekends
Any recommendations or thoughts ???
Thanks in advance!

I recommend looking at the Lemond bikes. I have a Tourmalet which was
$2000 at Clarence Street Cyclery in Syd (6066 aluminium with carbon
fork, 105 groupset except rear der which is ultegra, bontrager wheels).
Lemond frames are actually made by Trek and the Lemond company is a
Trek co. There are higher specced Lemond bikes than mine (but with same
frame) but I do approx 100-150 kms on weekend (mostly climbs around
three gorges (Galston, Berowra Waters & Bobbin Head)) and it handles
them well. I am 6ft4in and weigh 92kg so getting the right frame was
important. Very happy and I have tested colnago with higher specs and
didn't think the extra money for Italian style was worth it. I'm sure
some would disagree with this last comment. Only thing I would change
would be perhaps put in carbon seat post. Not much give in the
aluminium at 75kph downhill when you hit a sharp dip in the road.

Old April 21st 04, 05:42 AM
Dominic Sansom

Thanks everyone... this is great. lots of luverly bikes.... keep it up

At the moment the Lemond and the Felt are favourites

Any others????

-

Old April 21st 04, 09:42 AM
McTwistie

4 Weeks ago, I bought a Trek 1400 with Shimano shoes and Look pedals
Total with extras was about $2600

I could have got the 1500 (and the ultegra groupset) for an extra $40
or so - but just don't need it yet - and it was all on credit :

Love the TREK

Twisti

-

Buying A Bike - Inquiry James Lynx General 4 May 14th 04 07:43 AM
MTB on road - just curious Saint UK 88 April 25th 04 02:35 PM
First road bike: braking? Alan Hoyle General 47 September 28th 03 11:40 PM
First road bike - cheap recommendations? Thomas UK 7 August 1st 03 10:52 PM