Road Bike Recommendations (AU$2500 - $3000)

Old April 21st 04, 10:28 PM
Tamyka Bell

Default Road Bike Recommendations (AU$2500 - $3000)

I've been looking for a training bike. I called bikeshops and asked to
speak to someone who knew what they were talking about. I said "I want a
training bike, I need carbon forks, I need all 105 components, what is
the best price you can do? I don't mean your best RRP, I mean the
absolute best you can do."

I got offered a whole lot of bikes at 400-450 AUD below RRP, so if you
can afford $2500, start looking at the $3200 bikes and see what you can
get from there.

My Felt F50 (carbon forks, full ultegra, race wheels, stelle italia
(sp?) seat that I currently train/race on was $2500 in September last
year.

______________________________________

Tamyka Bell, PhD Student
School of Human Movement Studies
The University Of Queensland
w: +61-7-33656105
m: +61-4-00782972
e:
______________________________________
Old April 21st 04, 11:21 PM
flyingdutch

Tamyka Bell wrote:
My Felt F50 (carbon forks, full ultegra, race wheels, stelle italia
(sp?) seat that I currently train/race on was $2500 in September
last year.

You're the first person I have come across to actually ride one, Tamyk

As the Monty python sketch said..

"Wassit loike?

did last year's model have the carbon bits at the stays and if so i
there any ascertainable difference in feel/comfort

-

Old April 22nd 04, 06:30 AM
Tamyka Bell

My Felt F50 (carbon forks, full ultegra, race wheels, stelle italia...

You're the first person I have come across to actually ride one, Tamyka

As the Monty python sketch said...

"Wassit loike?"

did last year's model have the carbon bits at the stays and if so is
there any ascertainable difference in feel/comfort?

I think I'm the first person I know that rides one too. Saw one for sale
in Bris trading post for $2200 yeah like THAT will sell.

Last years was just the carbon forks, no carbon stays. Either way I
wouldn't be a good judge because it was my first bike, but it is an
incredible ride. Makes it difficult for me to pick a training bike.
Old April 22nd 04, 07:00 AM
ronni

Originally posted by Dominic Sansom I have a friend who has been bitte
(badly) by the bike bug. He has my old Avanti Triplo (great bike for th
price) but is now after a new ride. He's looking at Giant, Litespee
with carbon forks, seatpost and ultegra gruppo, but would like so mor
sugestions

We ride almost every morning 25-30km and 50-100km on weekend

Any recommendations or thoughts ??

Thanks in advance! [/QUOTE What about a Piave with full Ultegra carbo
forks Orange in colour for $1999.00 2003 model Or 2004 model with carbo
forks headstem carbon rear seat stays Black with full ultegra for abou
$2600.00 cant remember exact price as price list is at work. We sel
these and many other good value road bikes and Carbon frame fork bikes

Located in Perth West Australia

Good Huntin

-

Old April 22nd 04, 07:42 AM
flyingdutch

ronni wrote:
What about a Piave with full Ultegra carbon forks Orange in colour for
$1999.00 2003 model Or 2004 model with carbon forks headstem carbon rear
seat stays Black with full ultegra for about $2600.00 cant remember
exact price as price list is at work. We sell these and many other good
value road bikes and Carbon frame fork bikes.
Located in Perth West Australia.
Good Hunting

where do you work ronnie

website by any chance

"and it's goodnight from him...

-

Old April 22nd 04, 09:21 PM
Dominic Sansom

wrote:
What about a Piave with full Ultegra carbon forks Orange in colour for
$1999.00 2003 model Or 2004 model with carbon forks headstem carbon
rear seat stays Black with full ultegra for about $2600.00 cant
remember exact price as price list is at work. We sell these and many
other good value road bikes and Carbon frame fork bikes.
Located in Perth West Australia.
Good Hunting

Sounds good. where can I find one online. Do you have a web site

-

Old April 23rd 04, 12:08 AM
Yuri Budilov

also check out Cannondale

in general, the owners reviews in http://www.roadbikereview.com are helpful
for all these brands

Old April 23rd 04, 09:35 AM
Andrew Swan

Dominic Sansom wrote:
I have a friend who has been bitten (badly) by the bike bug. He has my
old Avanti Triplo (great bike for the price) but is now after a new
ride. He's looking at Giant, Litespeed with carbon forks, seatpost and
ultegra gruppo, but would like so more sugestions.

We ride almost every morning 25-30km and 50-100km on weekends

Any recommendations or thoughts ???

Thanks in advance!

I built my own bike for $2300 by buying the bits mail order and/or
from eBay. It has:
- a new Italian aluminium frame (Fondriest)
- a new Ultegra groupset (I don't know if you can call a non-Italian a
"gruppo" if you're not Italian yourself)
- a new carbon fork
- second-hand Rolf Vector Comp wheels (similar to the Bontrager
low-spoke-count wheels they sell on Treks these days)

It was fun and educational, and I ended up with more bike than I could
have bought in a shop for the money (IMHO).

Or you could go the full "Suzy", i.e. mine and smelt your own ore, cast
your own tubing, make your own frame, grow rubber trees for the tyres,
etc. and do it even cheaper still! :-)

&roo

Old April 24th 04, 06:42 AM
Dominic Sansom

Andrew Swan wrote:
Or you could go the full "Suzy", i.e. mine and smelt your own ore, cast
your own tubing, make your own frame, grow rubber trees for the tyres,
etc. and do it even cheaper still! :-)
&roo

We tried that but we hate mass produced stuff

So, we chisled one out of flint and granite... with our teeth. Climbin
is a bit tiring but free-wheeling down the other side we reached Mach 2
I thought stopping was going to be a problem but there were three tou
coaches, parked end to end, at the bottom of the hill... we came to
halt half way through the third one. Bent the forks though

-

Old April 25th 04, 04:21 AM
flyingdutch

ronni wrote:

I'll do your website in return for a bike!

Buying A Bike - Inquiry James Lynx General 4 May 14th 04 07:43 AM
MTB on road - just curious Saint UK 88 April 25th 04 02:35 PM
First road bike: braking? Alan Hoyle General 47 September 28th 03 11:40 PM
First road bike - cheap recommendations? Thomas UK 7 August 1st 03 10:52 PM