Step 1 - Leather Lounge suite

Old July 27th 04, 02:06 AM
DaveB

Default Step 1 - Leather Lounge suite

Q. What the hell does that have to do with cycling?
A. I have an agreement with my wife that once we buy a leather lounge
suite I can get a new bike. Tax return came in today with what appears
to be enough for both. WooHoo! And there was I about to replace some
more bits on my old piece of junk. Ahh decisions decisions. I suspect
there is going to be a lot of time spent in bike shops ove rthe next few
weeks.

One question though, is there a particular time of year where the
previous year's models get sold off cheap or does it vary by brand?

DaveB

Old July 27th 04, 02:16 AM
hippy

DaveB Wrote:
One question though, is there a particular time of year where the
previous year's models get sold off cheap or does it vary by brand?
DaveB

Yes... NOW! :-)

Well, the '05 model bikes (from the larger companies at least) will be

available very soon.

hippy

--
hippy
Old July 27th 04, 02:23 AM
flyingdutch

DaveB Wrote:
Q. What the hell does that have to do with cycling?
A. I have an agreement with my wife that once we buy a leather lounge
suite I can get a new bike. Tax return came in today with what appears
to be enough for both. WooHoo! And there was I about to replace some
more bits on my old piece of junk. Ahh decisions decisions. I suspect
there is going to be a lot of time spent in bike shops ove rthe next
few
weeks.

One question though, is there a particular time of year where the
previous year's models get sold off cheap or does it vary by brand?

DaveB

Yep. 05 Giants are being lauded about at the mo, so basically you can
buy the same/similar but with different paint/colours (04) for less...

gotta budget?
correction. what will you be left with post-lounge-suit?

--
flyingdutch

Old July 27th 04, 08:35 AM
byron27

DaveB Wrote:
Q. What the hell does that have to do with cycling?
A. I have an agreement with my wife that once we buy a leather lounge
suite I can get a new bike. Tax return came in today with what appears
to be enough for both. WooHoo! And there was I about to replace some
more bits on my old piece of junk. Ahh decisions decisions. I suspect
there is going to be a lot of time spent in bike shops ove rthe next
few
weeks.

One question though, is there a particular time of year where the
previous year's models get sold off cheap or does it vary by brand?

DaveB

wouldnt be cheaper to chuck some boras and campag record on the
leather couch?

--
byron27

Old July 27th 04, 08:44 AM
Bikesoiler

byron27 Wrote:
wouldnt be cheaper to chuck some boras and campag record on the leather
couch?

It's been done......

http://bikeforest.com/couchrent.html

[image: http://bikeforest.com/couchrental.jpg]

Read the whole story here - http://bikeforest.com/cb/index.html

--
Bikesoiler
Old July 27th 04, 09:54 AM
flyingdutch

Bikesoiler Wrote:
It's been done......

http://bikeforest.com/couchrent.html

[image: http://bikeforest.com/couchrental.jpg]

Read the whole story here - http://bikeforest.com/cb/index.html

dang, bikesoiler. beat me to it! :-)

--
flyingdutch

Old July 27th 04, 10:05 AM
DaveB

Geoff wrote:

Dave,

Have a look at http://www.learsport.com/Racing.htm

I don't know about the frames but the components look to be good quality.
With the budget you've got set you will can get youself a higher spec bike
for roughly the same $. If you can stretch it

Geoff

Hmm the 7700 looks the go, but how can you tell what size. I was
thinking of going into the Melbourne factory. Has anyone been there?
Were they much help in fitting? I can see the value in the LBS if I only
spend $200 more but get a bike that fits nicely.

DaveB (so confused, supposed to be studying, too distracted)

Old July 27th 04, 12:38 PM
flyingdutch

DaveB Wrote:

Hmm the 7700 looks the go, but how can you tell what size. I was
thinking of going into the Melbourne factory. Has anyone been there?
Were they much help in fitting? I can see the value in the LBS if I
only
spend $200 more but get a bike that fits nicely.

DaveB (so confused, supposed to be studying, too distracted)

Going on memory of you-versus me but Im betting that the Medium 52-54cm
frame is the one for you. just to confuse things bikes with sloping
toptubes can throw all measurements ou of whack to compare

this might give you some idea. nothing will beat throwing you leg over
one and getting some prof advice tho...

http://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/Sec...ing/Height.asp

--
flyingdutch

Old July 28th 04, 03:23 AM
Marty Wallace

"Bikesoiler" wrote in
message ...

byron27 Wrote:
wouldnt be cheaper to chuck some boras and campag record on the leather
couch?

It's been done......

http://bikeforest.com/couchrent.html

[image: http://bikeforest.com/couchrental.jpg]

Read the whole story here - http://bikeforest.com/cb/index.html

--
Bikesoiler

Well if you're riding around on your couch you might want some music to
accompany you.

http://www.digave.com/couch/images/b...0july%2002.jpg

More pics http://www.digave.com/couch/band.htm

Marty

Old July 28th 04, 04:22 AM
SteveDel

DaveB Wrote:
Geoff wrote:

Dave,

Have a look at http://www.learsport.com/Racing.htm

I don't know about the frames but the components look to be good

quality.
With the budget you've got set you will can get youself a higher spec

bike
for roughly the same $. If you can stretch it

Geoff

Hmm the 7700 looks the go, but how can you tell what size. I was
thinking of going into the Melbourne factory. Has anyone been there?
Were they much help in fitting? I can see the value in the LBS if I
only
spend $200 more but get a bike that fits nicely.

DaveB (so confused, supposed to be studying, too distracted)

DaveB,

Give Learsport a try, worth the visit to the showroom, as sometimes you
can get additional discount on an already competitive web price. I got
an excellent deal on their XTR3270 D a couple of months ago, ($400
off), just because I was there buying my wife a bike for her birthday.
Finish is excellent, and as you say, componentry across the range is as
good as you get at the LBS (because it is the same).

You will be offered first free service, but most can usually do weekly
maintenance so this is not an issue if you live across the other side
of town. They also usually have a range of frame sizes to test ride.

Suggest if you decide to go, give them a ring or e-mail their sales
dept, and they will arrange to have things organised for you when you
get there. That was the service offered here in Sydney when I started
the process for a new up-market / top-end commuter.

Good luck with the search for that new ride!

Stevedel

--
SteveDel