27" tires - Still in production?

Old September 27th 04, 08:32 PM
DJA

Default 27" tires - Still in production?

Is anyone still manufacturing 27" road tires? Or, is everything
available New Old Stock?

At some point I will need/want new wheels for my '80's project bike and
I'd like to stay with 27". Would I be dead-ended if I buy new 27" wheels?

I won't need anything special, just a 27x1 1/8 (28x630) generic road tire.

--
David
dja--dot--mail--at--comcast--dot--net
Old September 27th 04, 08:44 PM
Neal

"DJA" wrote in message
Is anyone still manufacturing 27" road tires? Or, is everything available New
Old Stock?

At some point I will need/want new wheels for my '80's project bike and I'd
like to stay with 27". Would I be dead-ended if I buy new 27" wheels?

I won't need anything special, just a 27x1 1/8 (28x630) generic road tire.

--
David
dja--dot--mail--at--comcast--dot--net

Performance still carries them.

Neal

Old September 27th 04, 09:22 PM
Zog The Undeniable

DJA wrote:

Is anyone still manufacturing 27" road tires? Or, is everything
available New Old Stock?

At some point I will need/want new wheels for my '80's project bike and
I'd like to stay with 27". Would I be dead-ended if I buy new 27" wheels?

I won't need anything special, just a 27x1 1/8 (28x630) generic road tire.

Continental make a few, including the SuperSport 1000 which is
reasonably fast. There's also the Panaracer Pasela and others. Rims
are becoming scarcer but are still out there.
Old September 27th 04, 11:06 PM
Werehatrack

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:32:26 -0400, DJA wrote:

Is anyone still manufacturing 27" road tires? Or, is everything
available New Old Stock?

At some point I will need/want new wheels for my '80's project bike and
I'd like to stay with 27". Would I be dead-ended if I buy new 27" wheels?

I won't need anything special, just a 27x1 1/8 (28x630) generic road tire.

Choices are slim, but there isn't any real problem getting the ones
that remain available. Most bike shops carry at least one or two.
Even Wal-Mart carries a cheap one. (In both sense of the word.)
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old September 28th 04, 01:46 AM
Donald Gillies

DJA writes:

Is anyone still manufacturing 27" road tires? Or, is everything
available New Old Stock?

two very good choices :

27"x1 IRC triathlon - wire bead - 270g - nashbar

27"x1 1/8 Panaracer Pasela Tourguard Kevlar - kevlar bead - 250g - nashbar

both ON SALE RIGHT NOW at about half price ($9, $14).
These two tires would be state-of-the-art on a 1980's bike.
In particular, panaracer pasela is a descendent of Schwinn LeTour.
Panasonic made all those dang tires for Schwinn in the 1970's.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Old September 28th 04, 02:05 AM
B.B.

In article ,
Werehatrack wrote:

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:32:26 -0400, DJA wrote:

Is anyone still manufacturing 27" road tires? Or, is everything
available New Old Stock?

At some point I will need/want new wheels for my '80's project bike and
I'd like to stay with 27". Would I be dead-ended if I buy new 27" wheels?

I won't need anything special, just a 27x1 1/8 (28x630) generic road tire.

Choices are slim, but there isn't any real problem getting the ones
that remain available. Most bike shops carry at least one or two.
Even Wal-Mart carries a cheap one. (In both sense of the word.)

Yup, got mine at Wal-mart. I wouldn't recommend them.

B.B. --I am not a goat! thegoat4 at airmail.net
Old September 28th 04, 02:39 AM
papercut

Nashbar and sheldonbrown.com carry a decent selection. Nashbar in
particular has a decent inexpensive selection. IRCs, Paselas,
Continentals, Vittorias, all for about $15 or less. In sizes from
27x1", 27x1 1/8", and 27x1 1/4" And also the house brand made by Cheng
Shin, which I found very good, for less than $10. I just bought a pair
of 27x1 1/4" Nashbar kevlar belted tires. Not bad at all.

27x1-3/8" sizes are the only ones that seem to be getting scarce,
particularly in road tires. There are a few knobbys in that size, but
shldonbrown.com seems to be the only place I know of that still has
road tires in that size. They also have a 27x7/8" tire NOS. You'll not
likely find may nore of these once they're gone.
Old September 28th 04, 02:51 AM
bfd

"papercut" wrote in message
om...
Nashbar and sheldonbrown.com carry a decent selection. Nashbar in
particular has a decent inexpensive selection. IRCs, Paselas,
Continentals, Vittorias, all for about $15 or less. In sizes from
27x1", 27x1 1/8", and 27x1 1/4" And also the house brand made by Cheng
Shin, which I found very good, for less than $10. I just bought a pair
of 27x1 1/4" Nashbar kevlar belted tires. Not bad at all.

27x1-3/8" sizes are the only ones that seem to be getting scarce,
particularly in road tires. There are a few knobbys in that size, but
shldonbrown.com seems to be the only place I know of that still has
road tires in that size. They also have a 27x7/8" tire NOS. You'll not
likely find may nore of these once they're gone.

Agree, Sheldon Brown has the last of the 27" Avocets and only in 27x7/8.
Still, if you can ride these, its a great buy:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/special.html#tires

relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires Anonymous Techniques 46 April 7th 04 07:03 PM
"Carbon" tires psycholist Techniques 34 January 28th 04 07:45 AM
Studded tires R Christensen General 2 January 27th 04 04:40 PM
Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant General 19 July 24th 03 09:56 PM
Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant Techniques 19 July 24th 03 09:56 PM