Common Shimano Failures, AKA POS STI Levers.

Old October 1st 04, 02:01 AM
Mark Wolfe

Rick Warner wrote:
Mark Wolfe wrote in message news:ZiN6d.267763$4o.8765@fed1read01...

party. Plus I can throw a Triple on it for next years Death Ride. I'm
curious as to if anyone has found a cure for the dead brifter. The way
I look at it, it has cost me 220 miles over the last week. Not to
mention $15 in gas while the bike is down. /rant

Not so sure that STI failure is "common". I have 105 and Ultegra STI
brifters with tens of thousands of miles on them and not a single
failure. Same for my friends. And the ability to change
double-triple is not unique to Campy; all Ultregra/105 brifters since
about 2001 are capable of either.

Now the question is, is your brifter dead or just in need of cleaning?
Most times folks think they have a dead STI brifter a good flush
with WD-40 seems to cause a resurrection.

BTW, why didn't you just throw a DT shifter on it until you came up
with a game plan? Simple, easy, no miles lost. And *that*, not a
Campy brifter, is how Schwinn did it!

- rick

Did the WD-40 flush first, then disassembly, cleaned/lubed, no go.
I didn't take the ratchet mechanism apart, as that looked like something
I wouldn't be able to get back together. I've been itching for the
campy levers to begin with. Yeah, I know DT shifters are what the bike
probably came with, but being a Waterford Paramount, it probably had
campy from the factory. I did update it a bit with an "un-authorized"
paint job http://tinyurl.com/44gfl , reset the rear to 130, and removed
those top tube cable guides in favor of guides at 7 O'clock. Just
checked the mail and my shiftmate has arrived. Neat little part. I also
knew about the ultegra/105 ability to shift a triple. Right now I'm
running the ultra rare 12-27 cassette on back, but there are some hills
that I've struggled on with that.

--
Mark Wolfe Lakeside, ca http://www.wolfenet.org
gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71
Old October 1st 04, 02:17 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

jay- I am still using 8sp STI from, what, about 1992. BRBR

8s STI was way more reliable than any 9s STI.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old October 1st 04, 02:21 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

rick- Not so sure that STI failure is "common". I have 105 and Ultegra STI
brifters with tens of thousands of miles on them and not a single
failure. Same for my friends. And the ability to change
double-triple is not unique to Campy; all Ultregra/105 brifters since
about 2001 are capable of either. BRBR

Actually 6500 since 1998 has been double ot triple.

I can send you all ouit RA numbers for levers we have warrantied(about 3
dozen). This NG has frequent tales of 7700/6500 levers failing and being either
warrantied or replaced.

Great that yours are going strong but two types of STI levers. Those that have
failed and those that will. Only difference is that when they do, no repair is
possbile.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.