Technical seat position question

Old May 10th 04, 02:36 AM
curt

Default Technical seat position question

I have been dialing in my bicycle over the past weeks and feel I have found
a nice position, but I find that I am wanting to move back on my saddle a
little more. I moved it back on the rails as far as I can, but feel I would
like to move it back a little further, but have run out of rail. I was also
having a little knee problem and now that I moved my seat back it is gone,
but I am riding on the back of my seat a little too far.

Is there a negative in getting a new seat post that has the capability of
moving back further?

Thanks,
Curt

Old May 10th 04, 03:06 AM
Erik Freitag

On Mon, 10 May 2004 02:36:08 +0000, curt wrote:

Is there a negative in getting a new seat post that has the capability of
moving back further?

I don't know if there's a negative to a new seatpost, but I was wondering
if what you really need is a longer stem.

Old May 10th 04, 03:09 AM
R15757

Curt asked in part:

Is there a negative in getting a new seat post that has the capability of
moving back further?

Curt, it is possible that your seat is still a bit too low. If this is true,
you could raise it up to the proper level and suddenly lose the impulse to move
back.

Robert

Old May 10th 04, 03:51 AM
curt

I think the stem is okay. I guess I should have clarified this a bit
better. The main reason that I want to move back is because of knee
discomfort. Now that I have moved the seat back, the knee pain is gone. I
am very thankful to say the least. I feel pretty laid out on the bike, but
I feel more comfortable with the angle of my legs when the seat is back a
bit more.

Curt

news

Old May 10th 04, 03:56 AM
curt

This is possible. I am a little above my original set up, which I took from
a book, but maybe I just like a higher seat. I may give that a try first.
I don't know how much higher I can go. I'll have to see how long my seat
post is I guess.

Thanks,
Curt

Curt asked in part:

Old May 10th 04, 04:35 AM
R15757

This is possible. I am a little above my original set up, which I took from
a book, but maybe I just like a higher seat. I may give that a try first.
I don't know how much higher I can go. I'll have to see how long my seat
post is I guess.

Yeah I would push the seat up bit by bit until you find the point where it
finally feels too high, as long as it is not over the limit line, then lower it
a smidge (1 cm) from there. Generally you'll want the seat just below the point
where the hips rock with pedaling. Knee pain is often caused by too-low
saddles.

Robert