Bike for 500lb Person?

Old October 27th 04, 12:42 PM
Fx199

Subject: Bike for 500lb Person?
From: (Chalo)
Date: 10/27/2004 12:21 AM US Eastern Standard Time
(Fx199) wrote:

I was gonna say the exact same thing. You'd have a heart atack before you'd

get
close enough to catch me, and I'd put a bullet in your head before i'd let

you
lay a hand on me.

A characteristically astounding display of rhetorical mastery by Fx199!
Bravo!

Chalo Colina

Sure, you whine about "sizist" comments LOL!!!, and we hear someone bragging
some fatso could crush someone into a pretzel.
When I say he'd have a heart attack before he could catch me I'm the bad guy.
I say get the guy a bike and even suggested some bikes earlier, I didn't make
fun of his weight.
Learn to read.
Old October 27th 04, 02:38 PM
Pat

: Dear "no-archive" Pat in Tx,
:
: If you were less oblivious, you'd have noticed that an identical
: original post was placed in the rec.bicycles.tech forum-- and that the
: most comprehensive, detailed, and contextually informed advice came
: from me. But you clearly didn't bother to look into it. If you go
: read my postings there, you'll see that your arguments about me not
: contributing in this matter are mistaken.

So, whenever someone posts on one forum, everyone who reads it is supposed
to rush to google and research any/all comments by that same poster on every
other forum? Sorry, you're not worth that much of my time. Your writings may
be 'gold' to you, but they're not to others.

:
: My replies here in r.b.misc were to posters who were being insulting
: and demeaning, not helpful as you suggest. If somebody were to post
: to a shoe newsgroup saying "I have size 17 feet and I can't find any
: shoes that fit", and he got replies saying that he shouldn't wear
: shoes, that his feet were simply too big and posed a hazard to himself
: and others, I hope you could see that those replies would be
: unhelpful. Furthermore, I expect that you could see that those who
: posted such replies were being jerks.

I didn't get the sense of it that they were being "insulting and
demeaning"--I got the impression that you were being overly sensitive and
have a humongous chip on your shoulder. Once again, you use an example of
something that a person can't change or has no control over--the size of the
bones in his feet. Most people would believe that a fat person has some
control over how much he weighs. I have been on a diet recently and have
lost 40 pounds. I didn't just go around yelling at people when I was fat
about how "insensitive" THEY were. I didn't call people who noticed "jerks".
I worked at losing the excess weight.

:
: That is what is happening here, but since the person in question is
: assumed to be obese, ordinary principles of civility do not apply.
: Fatness is so widely and ignorantly reviled that even people who
: recognize and refrain from expressions of racism, misogyny,
: homophobia, classism, etc., feel completely entitled to be rude and
: hateful to fat people.

When a person weighs 500 pounds, even you must agree that he is outside of
the "normal" range. The OP said that his friend was cycling to LOSE weight,
after all! And, once again, the chip on your shoulder shows. I didn't see
any dismissal of ordinary principles of civility UNLESS you count even
noticing that a person is fat is "out of bounds."

:
: For all anybody here knows, the 500-pound fellow in question may be
: built like the late Serge Reding, who would have weighed a similar
: amount had he been 6'2" tall like the person in question:

The guy is trying to lose weight. I guess you missed that part of it. He
wants to exercise to lose weight.

: Yet their deeply-ingrained categorical hatred of fat people allows
: them to be nasty and inconsiderate despite their ignorance, and even
: feel self-righteous about it. I have done nothing besides taking
: exception to their arrogance and presumption, and pointing it out to
: them. If this looks like "attack" to you, I must question whether you
: have the capacity to see unwarranted derogation of fat folks for what it
is.

Nobody has a "deeply-ingrained categorical hatred of fat people". You are
pretty paranoid and you are ascribing reactions to people that 1.) you don't
know, and 2.) who have not expressed any hatred in their postings.

: Chalo's self loathing surfaces itself in everything he writes.
:
: On the contrary, Fx199, I take no small amount of pride in being more
: than twice the size and strength of a mundane man, though this is a
: lucky accident of nature rather than a result of my own efforts.
:
: I can take a more direct sort of satisfaction in the fact that unlike
: you, I possess a useful amount of mental and physical courage, and
: that I am in possession of my wits to a degree that you most likely
: lack even the capacity to recognize. However, this by itself is no
: special accomplishment, because it is plain (and fortunate) that
: practcally anybody has sufficient virtue and intellect to outclass
: you!

This all comes across as arrogance and over-compensation for something that
wounds your ego.

: I am confident enough that I will not embarass myself with any
: Fx199-type flatulations that I post under my very own name. I even
: allow my postings to be archived for future reference, as opposed to,
: say, an anonymous "Pat" in Texas.
:
: Chalo Colina

And I don't have the excess of ego gratification that you do, preferring to
not clutter the archives forever with temporary and transient postings that
will be of no interest to future generations.

Pat in TX

Old October 27th 04, 05:14 PM
velomanct

I find it hard to believe that a crank would break in half before the
chain. A broken crank is probally due to a manufacturing fault, and was
structurally weak before any use.

I have heard of a mid level amatuer racer breaking his pedal off in a
sprint.

--
velomanct

Old October 27th 04, 05:43 PM
Steven M. Scharf

wrote in message
om...
Hi,

What bike(s) would you recommend for a 500lb rider, who's about 6'2 in
height? He's been able to ride the Electra Rally Sport, although he
bent a crank on it, and he broke a crank 3 times and warped a wheel on
the Electra Townie. He was considering an adult trike, but he'd
prefer the better speed a two wheeled bike would offer.

http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_s.../indbikes.html

Old October 27th 04, 06:42 PM
Roger Zoul

Badger_South wrote:
:: On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:28:43 +1000, "DRS"
:: wrote:
::
:::
::: I control my weight through diet and exercise. I have never
::: allowed myself to become obese.
::
:: Oh, you've never been overfat and met the clinical defo of 'obese'? I
:: thought you were a LC fan because of a weight problem in the past and
:: corrected it with the LC ketogenic diet, and lost a lot of weight.
::
:: Sorry for my confusion or mixup..

Basically, then, DRS has not walked in the shoes of a person with a weight
problem. Thus, he knows nothing about what he speaks regarding why some
people have weight problems.

Old October 27th 04, 09:50 PM
Bill Baka

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:10:28 GMT, Peter Cole
wrote:

"Dennis P. Harris" wrote in message
On 25 Oct 2004 19:25:39 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc,
(Chalo) wrote:

That's some ugly sizeist crap there, homie.

no, just the unvarnished truth. obese people need to lose
weight, and most of them eat far too much, in part because their
endocrine system has been screwed up since they were children,
usually by parents overfeeding them.

I don't think current science supports this contention. In any case, most
Americans eat badly and get virtually no exercise. Some gain a lot of
weight, some don't. Some very active, sensible eaters, carry a lot of
body
fat. There are strong genetic predispositions. Since it's impossible to
know (just on the basis of weight) a person's degree of health, why
attempt
to diagnose from a distance, especially with such sweeping
generalizations?

Personal note here, I was one of those overweight people at 5'7" and
pushing 200 pounds, at which point I said to myself "Bull****", and
started making changes. Bicycling more, (daily instead of weekends only)
and riding harder courses, started me on losing weight. Not having
lunch at McDonalds or some such place helped a lot. When it came to
lunch time at work I rode an 8 mile course around/over a local mountain
which required ~1000' of climbing and some nice fast descents. I got
down to 160 pounds in six months of that, aided by riding the mountain
loop after work, up to 5 times in the summer, daylight limited.
After losing that job due to fallout from 9/11 I now work from home
and go out whenever I want and that has gotten me down to my present
145 pounds. Part of the fallout is that I now hardly ever have the
urge to go to a McFood of any kind, but I can eat all the sweets I
want (carbs) and just go out and ride xx miles to work it off. At 56
years old and my present shape it is a lot better than most people
a lot younger than myself. Sure, I know fat people who have more money
than me, but I am no longer driven by the axiom "He who dies with the
most toys wins.". One of the nice fringe benefits of biking is that you
can consume some extra 'guilty pleasure' calories sometimes and burn
them off. Sometimes my ride food is almost all chocolate fudge cake
brownies and other non-healthy things, but with a cholesterol of 170
thanks to riding, who cares? It also takes some amount of sense to
avoid the obvious killers like heavy amounts of animal fat, (McFood),
and to exercise even just when bored. I sometimes run to the
end of the street and back just to get a pulse going, this when I
don't have time to get the bike out due to work stuff.
Just do something that gets you heart pounding a few times a day and it
will start to add up in a good way. Take it easy if you are way overweight,
but doing something is always better than sitting and complaining.
Off now,
Bill Baka

--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/
Old October 27th 04, 10:28 PM
Fx199

Basically, then, DRS has not walked in the shoes of a person with a weight
problem. Thus, he knows nothing about what he speaks regarding why some
people have weight problem

It's very simple.
They consume too many calories.
No wishy washy explanations can negate it.
Old October 28th 04, 12:25 AM
DRS

wrote:

I control my weight through diet and exercise. I have never
allowed myself to become obese.

Oh, you've never been overfat and met the clinical defo of 'obese'?
I thought you were a LC fan because of a weight problem in the past
and corrected it with the LC ketogenic diet, and lost a lot of
weight.

Sorry for my confusion or mixup..

Basically, then, DRS has not walked in the shoes of a person with a
weight problem. Thus, he knows nothing about what he speaks regarding
why some people have weight problems.

That doesn't follow. I know what causes obesity. I choose not to become
obese. I control my weight by not doing the things that cause obesity.
It's not rocket science.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old October 28th 04, 12:46 AM
Badger_South

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:25:30 +1000, "DRS"
wrote:

wrote:

I control my weight through diet and exercise. I have never
allowed myself to become obese.

Oh, you've never been overfat and met the clinical defo of 'obese'?
I thought you were a LC fan because of a weight problem in the past
and corrected it with the LC ketogenic diet, and lost a lot of
weight.

Sorry for my confusion or mixup..

Basically, then, DRS has not walked in the shoes of a person with a
weight problem. Thus, he knows nothing about what he speaks regarding
why some people have weight problems.

That doesn't follow. I know what causes obesity. I choose not to become
obese. I control my weight by not doing the things that cause obesity.
It's not rocket science.

so, uh, why aren't you rich? ;-D

-B
$200 billion/yr diet industry; we are not worthy...

Road, touring or cross bike? Yellowstone Yeti General 20 August 27th 04 03:43 AM
Some questions etc.. Douglas Harrington General 10 August 17th 04 02:42 AM
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 10:49 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM