How should Street Freestyle competition work?

Old August 18th 04, 06:10 PM
tugboat

hello. i havent replied yet in this thread, but i feel like i should
just because im a street rider. im extremely impressed that this type of
competition is seriously being considered. i think its important to have
a reason for street riders to get together with everyone else seeing as
some of us (including me) suck at trials and freestyle and muni haha.
but yeah, as for a name for it, i dont think that street freestyle is a
good name for it only because of the word "freestyle" in there. street
is its own style, it shouldnt be falsly associated with freestyle i dont
think. i mean freestyle is strictly a flat ground thing. street isnt. i
mean sure theres a lot of moves you could do flat ground and call it
street, but not everything. like hopping on the top of the tire i dont
consider street. so yeah, not street freestyle, but i think street is
what it should be call. thats what its called in every other sport
pretty much, so why not in unicycling as well? i know street unicycling
gets a lot of insporation from skateboarding, bmxing and inline skating,
so why not continue with the name of this type of competition.

as for the setup, thats tough. the problem is that the transitions at
most skateparks are too steep for unicycles, and the flat parts arent
long enough to get at least 2 rotations in (for example on the top of a
box that has a ramp going up to it on either side, the flat surface at
the top might be 1 and a half rotations which isnt always enough). that
isnt to say you can use a skatepark. its saying that you will have to
carefully look around to find a skate park that is ideal for unicycling.
you will alos have to bring in picnic tables and rails and everything
like that. and im sure it wouldnt be tough to make a pretty high and
long box and have a set of 7 or 8 stairs going down at the end with a
handrail on both sides. you will also have to have an infinite supply of
wax. because it will be needed.

oh, and i just came up with something. if you want it to be flowy, its
tough. mostly because its hard to do tricks without lining them up
first. so i think that for any obstacles (mostly stairs or downsloped
ledges and rails) that will be used a lot and you need a perfect lineup,
there should be markings on the ground as you ride up to them. these
will tell you how many revolutions away you are form the obstacle
(assuming you are on a 20 inch trials), and it allows you to try to line
up a pedal however you wish before you reach the obstacle. and perhaps
have different colours for each marking (example: green for 1 rev away,
yellow for 2, red for 3) or something like that. anyways, thats just a
thought and i think it would work.

as for judging or figuring out who wins, same as a skate comp. have like
5 or 6 judges, and kick out the highest and lowest scores and average
the others. and the time of each run should be probably 2 minutes. but
experiment with that somehow. factors taken into consideration should be
consistency, style, technical difficulty, and like how big you go...
odnt know how to put that.

for safety equipment, i think helmets should be manditory. no helmet, no
riding. i know it might seem contradictory for me to say that seeing as
i dont always wear mine, but i have begun to a lot more. my whole part
in spaced out will not have a helmet, but any other videos that ive
filmed for, my helmet has been on 95% of the time. i agree that we
should send a sensible message. as for anything else, i agree with
"hecklar". it should be the riders choice. i know for myself, i dont
wear anything besides a helmet. not because i feel that im safe, but
because i feel that they do restrict some movement that you need for
flopping aorund more than in trials. the only other people who flop
around like street riders are freestyle riders, and they certainly arent
wearing any. i bet they couldnt do some of the same stuff with leg
armour on, but im sure theyre allowed to (dont know the rules). as well,
i bet a lot of people will be using plastic pedals for grinding, and
they are a lot more shin friendly than metal ones.

another issue, i dont thikn there should be a restriction on the
unicycle being used. if they want to ride a 16", let them. if they want
to ride a coker with that crazy shifting hub, let them. i mean if having
a certain type of uni helps develop their style, then let it be. i think
however that it should be pedal driven (prohibiting bc wheels) but if
enough intrest arises, have a special category for bc wheels. but if you
restrict the type of unicycle, then it could potentially stop the
experimenting that street unicycling still needs since its still in its
beginning stages.

anyways, i think thats enough writing for now, i will write more if i
think of more. those are my thoughts john, and i think its awesome that
youre doing this. if i could be there to participate in it, i would.
unfortunately, funds are short these days, and my trials uni has been
broken completely (pretty much every part). you can write a response to
mine and disagree or agree with anything. im not attached to these ideas
lol. anyways, im off. good luck with this!

Kevin

--
tugboat - street unicyclist

"You won't get hurt if you land it!"
tugboat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3298

Old August 18th 04, 07:46 PM
johnfoss

More great feedback -- keep it coming!

Here's my take on what I'm picking up:

Name:
Street Freestyle, Street, StreetStyle. So far still variations on the
word Street. The people who don't seem to like the word Freestyle appear
to be riders who have never watched a Freestyle competition. If we keep
it Street Freestyle, it can always be abbreviated to either of the two
suggested variations. The existing Freestyle event is not a limiting
environment, other than the 11 x 14 meter riding space. Riders have
always been free to ride whatever they want, and bring in whatever props
they want. Freestyle is not a negative on street.

How about Sidewalk Art?

My understanding is that in the BMX world the gound-based event is
called Flatland Freestyle. Has this changed? We are doing something
between flatland and vert. We can't vert very high. But it's still
freestyle as well.

Judging:

Even with existing rules, flowy riding will score better than 50
prehops. No problem there. Tugboat suggests "same as a skate comp." I
imagine there are lots of variations on that. I've seen lots of stuff on
TV, but never been able to find any detailed rules on the Internet.
Anybody know where some are? I'm interested in the *judging criteria*.
That is, the specific stuff the judges are looking for. It can't be too
loose, or the results of a competition will be based on what that set of
judges like, and not necessarily a fixed set of standards.

I like the idea of 5 or more judges, and tossing the high and low
scores. We are about to make some changes to how we judge Freestyle, and
those changes may be incorporated here, but we don't know what those
will be yet. For smaller competitions, you might be able to use less
judges or some less formal system. I'd like to try for a formal system
for MUni Weekend though, to try it out.

I like Robbie's idea of everyone having 2 or 3 goes, then narrowing that
group down to a set of finalists. I like the finalist idea for most
events, but it takes more time. At MUni Weekend I think we'll have the
time. Others' thoughts?

Venue:

Skate park is an interesting option, but is restrictive to event hosts.
If you already have access to a skate park that's great. But in Truckee,
the one park they have has a no-bikes rule. I don't have the time for
this MUni Weekend to try and contact someone, then get permission to
ride in there. Much easier to have and control our own riding space,
where we can make our own rules and use our own schedule. For future
competitions, a skate park might work great.

Also, Dan Heaton pointed out that most skate parks are too spread out to
make for a good competition. Whatever we do with this event, the
audience and entertainment aspects must always be kept in mind. The
Lloyd Johnson driveway is not perfect, but it will be the easiest place
to set up our comp for MUni Weekend.

Time limit:
3 minutes for the finals. If we do prelims, maybe 2 minutes for those.

Props:

During the development of the event, we'll probably have to keep it
pretty open. But I would at least like to give riders a list of what
will be available. In future, we might develop a list of required props,
that must be built or provided for each competition. This can make the
event harder to hold though, so I don't want to make it too
restrictive.

If there were a minimum list of stuff (to which hosts could add whatever
else they have), what would you want on it? I'll start a list:
- Grinding rail
- Low skinny
- High skinny
- Ramps
- Stairs with platform at top
- Low wall (how low?)
- High wall (how high?)

Safety Gear:
Two recommendations for helmets only. One suggested that's what other
skate comps use. Is that true? I'm thinking in terms of state-sized
competitions and higher, not local stuff. So helmets are a given. Still
listening for more opinions on the rest of it. Safety gear too
restrictive? We require it for High and Long jump, people have managed
some pretty amazing measurements with their safety gear in those. Try
some different gear. Remember, if we require kneepads for instance, that
will mean you can wear a pair of volleyball pads and be legal.
Comfortable, but less protection. At the moment I'm leaning toward just
helmets being required, and the rest up to you. Helmets will already be
required for anyone riding at Northstar.

Other:
Tugboat suggested markings on the ground for 1 rev away, 2, etc. This
assumes a certain tire diameter, which will not be the same for every
rider. I think better for riders to get comfortable with visualizing how
much space they'll need.

Also no restrictions are planned on the type or number of unicycles
used. Got something you want to show on a giraffe? go ahead. BC Wheel?
Why not (don't see why it needs to be pedal driven). Show up with a
plain old bike or something that doesn't fit the basic "unicycle"
assumption and the judges will know what to do.

Thanks everyone.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!"
'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

Old August 18th 04, 10:35 PM
Checkernuts

First off the name, Just call it a street comp. Everyone will know what
your talking about and adding freestyle or anything else just makes the
name longer than it needs to be. Right now there is not a drastic enough
difference in the types of street riding going on to qualify for the
seperation of different events.

Saftey Gear. My vote is for mandatory helmets and everything else to be
optional. If it is felt that knee/shin is needed I would go along with
that however I feel that wrist guards are limiting to alot of needed
movement in order to grip your seat properly.

Scoring. I will get back to at a later date.

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20

My circus train pulls throught the night, full of lions and trapize
artists, I'm done with elephants and clowns, I want to runaway and join
the office.
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

Old August 18th 04, 11:20 PM
TonyMelton

I agree the comp should be called 'Street'. I've seen freestyle comps,
but I think Street is just a cooler name.

tugboat wrote:
* for any obstacles (mostly stairs or downsloped ledges and rails)
that will be used a lot and you need a perfect lineup, there should be
markings on the ground as you ride up to them. these will tell you how
many revolutions away you are form the obstacle (assuming you are on a
20 inch trials), and it allows you to try to line up a pedal however
you wish before you reach the obstacle. *

An interesting idea, and could lead to more flowing riding. (I certainly
like to line grinds up before I do them, so not having to ride backwards
from the rail then forward into it would be good.) Usually before skate
comps there is a practise session for the riders to get warmed up and
try out the course. During this time you could suss out this kind of
thing.

John - the flatlanders I know in Auckland call their sport 'flatland'
not 'flatland freestyle'.

+0|\|-

--
TonyMelton - Skinny butt

Three new albums added to 'my photo gallery'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur10). Check it!
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Old August 18th 04, 11:20 PM
TonyMelton

tugboat wrote:
[...]

US Postal not seeing value to sponsorship... why? Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles Racing 170 May 13th 04 11:48 PM
Cycling to work banned James Annan UK 84 January 30th 04 05:54 PM
what is a good bag for taking clothes to work without wrinkling them Cory General 11 October 16th 03 12:36 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM