Attorneys duke it out..Book II

Old May 5th 04, 04:17 PM
mrbubl

Default Attorneys duke it out..Book II

SMU professor in collision once drove into students
Her lawyer says crosswalk incident is coincidence, not pattern

07:06 AM CDT on Wednesday, May 5, 2004

By MICHAEL GRABELL / The Dallas Morning News

A Southern Methodist University law school professor accused of running down
a lawyer with her car was involved in an accident four months ago in which
she hit two SMU law students who were walking in a crosswalk, according to
police reports.

Jane Dolkart, an expert in labor law related to sexuality and gender, was
arrested Sunday and charged with assaulting a man who was cycling at White
Rock Lake in what Dallas police called a road rage incident. Tommy Thomas
suffered scrapes and bruises.

On Dec. 30, second-year law students Ashley Stewart and Renee Chafitz, both
24, were hit at Hillcrest and Daniel avenues as they were walking from the
SMU library to a cookie store. Neither student was injured seriously.

Ms. Dolkart, 56, told police the sun was in her eyes.

"I don't think she did it on purpose," said Ms. Stewart, who was on an
extracurricular mock trial team coached by Ms. Dolkart. "I believe she
legitimately had the sun in her eyes."

Ms. Dolkart's attorney, James Vasilas, said it is only a coincidence that
the two incidents happened within a few months of each other.

"Circumstances happen," he said. "I would say unequivocally it is not a
pattern of behavior that there's something wrong with Jane Dolkart. Not at
all."

The accident report said Ms. Dolkart failed to check the pedestrian
crosswalk and that the glare would not have blocked her vision of the
crosswalk. She was charged with driving without insurance.

Mr. Vasilas said she had insurance, but the proof of insurance wasn't in her
car.

Dallas police said that on Sunday, Mr. Thomas, a Dallas business lawyer, was
cycling with a friend on West Lawther Road south of Mockingbird Lane when
Ms. Dolkart came up behind them honking and screaming. She followed them
around a U-turn and then rammed her car into Mr. Thomas' bike, police said.

Mr. Vasilas said his client, who was also on her way for a bike ride, tapped
the horn to alert them that she was behind them and then accidentally hit
Mr. Thomas.

Ms. Dolkart posted a bond Sunday night. The Dallas Police Department is
investigating and will refer the case to a grand jury to determine whether
she will be indicted on aggravated assault charges.

Old May 5th 04, 08:42 PM
Roger Zoul

Obviously, this law professor thinks there are too many lawyers around and
is just doing her part to control the lawyer population.

Old May 6th 04, 02:46 AM
Mike Kruger

"mrbubl" wrote in message news:Uz7mc.7983
SMU professor in collision once drove into students
Her lawyer says crosswalk incident is coincidence, not pattern

This gets better and better. I look forward to Book III.

Old May 6th 04, 03:55 AM
Trudi Marrapodi

In article , "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

Obviously, this law professor thinks there are too many lawyers around and
is just doing her part to control the lawyer population.

I was going to say, let the lawyer jokes commence...

Q: What's the problem with a professor running down a lawyer in her car?

A: She didn't run down two lawyers.

Obligatory laugh track...
--
Trudi

"Boy, there sure is a lot of tension around here tonight. It's like a Joan Crawford movie."
Old May 6th 04, 06:17 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_NetscapE_D 0 T_NeT

"Circumstances happen", Dolkart's attorney, James "Rainman" Vasilas said.
"I would say unequivocally it is not a pattern of behavior that there's
something wrong with Jane Dolkart. Not at all. Definitely not. No,
nothing wrong here. Definitely."

Riiight, Vasilas. Just keep saying that, over and over, and pretty soon
you may believe it. Maybe.

Old May 6th 04, 01:02 PM
Doug Huffman

"Move along now. There's nothing new here."

"LioNiNoiL_a t_NetscapE_D 0 T_NeT" wrote in
message news:JTjmc.69697$Jy3.27236@fed1read03...

Old May 6th 04, 04:38 PM
AustinMN

All most lawyers do most of the time

Better break out the breathing equipment. This one's gonna have a lot of
smoke!

Austin
--
I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
There are no X characters in my address