Swap parts from GT chromoly frame to aluminum??

Old January 26th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, alt.mountain-bike, rec.bicycles.tech
SCT Technology

Default Swap parts from GT chromoly frame to aluminum??

I have a GT mountain bike (model: LTS 4000). It was purchased back in
1998 and is still in great shape. However, it's got a heavy steel
chromoly frame and I would like to find an aluminum bike frame where I
could swap all the parts over. Is this possible?
Old January 26th 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, alt.mountain-bike, rec.bicycles.tech
SCT Technology

On Jan 26, 3:16*pm, SCT Technology wrote:
I have a GT mountain bike (model: LTS 4000). It was purchased back in
1998 and is still in great shape. However, it's got a heavy steel
chromoly frame and I would like to find an aluminum bike frame where I
could swap all the parts over. Is this possible?

The link to this bike is:
http://www.bike-alog.com/BikePedia/Q...4000&Type=bike
Old January 26th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, alt.mountain-bike, rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 26, 3:16 pm, SCT Technology wrote:
I have a GT mountain bike (model: LTS 4000). It was purchased back in
1998 and is still in great shape. However, it's got a heavy steel
chromoly frame and I would like to find an aluminum bike frame where I
could swap all the parts over. Is this possible?

Sure, most of the parts are standard size. The weight savings with
aluminum won't be staggering, maybe a pound, but losing the suspension
will definitely lower weight as would a switch to a rigid fork if it's
road going. MTB tires can add a pound of unnecessary weight each if
you're not cycling in real off road conditions.
Old January 26th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech
Luke

In article
,
SCT Technology wrote:

http://www.bike-alog.com/BikePedia/Q...=1998&Brand=GT
&Model=LTS-4000&Type=bike

Leaving the suspension components out of the equation, and since you're
going from one MTB frame(set) to another, offhand the relevant specs
that come to mind a

- seatpost diameter
- headset configuration, i.e., 1 or 1 1/8", integrated or traditional
- front derailleur requirements: going to another MTB frame the only
relevant spec is clamp size, i.e., seattube diameter
- possibly BB shell threading and width.

Am I missing anything?
Old January 26th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, alt.mountain-bike, rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

SCT Technology wrote:

I have a GT mountain bike (model: LTS 4000). It was purchased back in
1998 and is still in great shape. However, it's got a heavy steel
chromoly frame and I would like to find an aluminum bike frame where I
could swap all the parts over. Is this possible?

Switching haphazardly from steel to aluminum could trigger a thermite
reaction, causing your bike to explode and possibly melting a hole in
the road. Use great care and deliberation in executing such a
transplant. Immersing your steel bike first in a vat of concentrated
phosphoric acid for about a week would be a good idea (remember to use
gloves). That would reduce the amount of available iron (III) oxide
to support combustion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

If your bike lighting uses acetylene or magnesium flares or an open
carbon arc, you should not undertake the frame swap. The risk of
calamity would be too great in the presence of these excellent sources
of ignition.

YMMV,

Chalo
Old January 26th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Chalo Colina wrote:
SCT Technology wrote:
[...]

POTM!

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth
Old January 26th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Tom Sherman wrote:
Chalo Colina wrote:
SCT Technology wrote:
[...]

check again. thermite is to reduce iron oxide, not iron.
Old January 27th 08, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, alt.mountain-bike, rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Jan 26, 2:53 pm, jim beam wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Chalo Colina wrote:
SCT Technology wrote:
[...]

Isn't that what he said? "That would reduce the amount of available
iron (III) oxide
to support combustion."
Old January 27th 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, alt.mountain-bike, rec.bicycles.tech
SCT Technology

Tom Sherman wrote:
Chalo Colina wrote:
SCT Technology wrote:
[...]

to support combustion."- Hide quoted text -

I'm so glat y'all have time to add negative value to the thread!
Thanks everyone for the posts (minus the 4 preceeding this one)
Old January 27th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Tom Sherman wrote:
Chalo Colina wrote:
SCT Technology wrote:
[...]

Why replace a perfectly good steel frame with recycled beer cans?