Axle nuts question + key storage question.

Old January 9th 05, 07:16 AM
wfisher

Default Axle nuts question + key storage question.

My cartridge bearing hubs are spaced for a 120mm rear dropout with an
axle just long enough for the two track nuts to fit on perfectly.
However, I have 126mm rear spacing and when I screw everything on, only
half the threads of each nut come in contact with the axle. I would buy
a new axle but I can not find a SINGLE store that sells 174mm axles
with those special shoulders that sit between the cartridges. So my
question is, one, am I making this a bigger issue that it is? And two,
if you answered no to the previous question, then were do I buy a
shouldered axle (as Barnett calls it)?

Another question, where do you store your lock keys? Currently I have a
rubber band tied to mine and I wrap it around the top tube. Since the
lock stays with the bike when it's not being used on a pole, the key
should too but there's no real obvioius place to put a key like there
is a lock. My lock has a nice holder on the seat tube, my key doesn't
get that. So where's the fastest access method/place to put it?
--
Will Fisher

Old January 9th 05, 11:51 AM

Another question, where do you store your lock keys?

This may sound a little dorky but you could attach the key to your
wris****ch, or your keyring.

Lewis.

*****

Old January 9th 05, 12:05 PM
Luke

In article . com,
wfisher wrote:

My cartridge bearing hubs are spaced for a 120mm rear dropout with an
axle just long enough for the two track nuts to fit on perfectly.
However, I have 126mm rear spacing and when I screw everything on, only
half the threads of each nut come in contact with the axle. I would buy
a new axle but I can not find a SINGLE store that sells 174mm axles
with those special shoulders that sit between the cartridges. So my
question is, one, am I making this a bigger issue that it is? And two,
if you answered no to the previous question, then were do I buy a
shouldered axle (as Barnett calls it)?

If your frame is steel, is there a reason why the rear triangle cannot
be cold-set (i.e. bent) to achieve a 120mm dropout spacing? (I assume
your current setup uses 3mm spacers on the rear axle to make up for the
hub/dropout spacing difference.)

luke
Old January 9th 05, 12:12 PM

Keychain

Old January 9th 05, 04:47 PM
Werehatrack

On 8 Jan 2005 23:16:51 -0800, "wfisher" wrote:

My cartridge bearing hubs are spaced for a 120mm rear dropout with an
axle just long enough for the two track nuts to fit on perfectly.
However, I have 126mm rear spacing and when I screw everything on, only
half the threads of each nut come in contact with the axle.

It sounds like the thickness of the dropouts is also greater than the
axle was designed to accomodate; if the frame is aluminum, that may be
why.

There are those who would say that it's a bad idea to fit any
width-mismatched wheel to a frame, but 6mm is unlikely to cause a
problem in my opinion.

I would buy
a new axle but I can not find a SINGLE store that sells 174mm axles
with those special shoulders that sit between the cartridges.

And you probably won't find them online either. The shoulder spacing
is specific to the hub; there is no "standard spacing" for those
bearings.

So my
question is, one, am I making this a bigger issue that it is? And two,
if you answered no to the previous question, then were do I buy a
shouldered axle (as Barnett calls it)?

My solution: Take the axle to a machine shop and have them make a
tubular spacer of the same length as the shouldered section that will
fit over a readily available conventional axle. Take the hub along so
that they can see how much of a tolerance they have on the OD.

Another question, where do you store your lock keys? Currently I have a
rubber band tied to mine and I wrap it around the top tube. Since the
lock stays with the bike when it's not being used on a pole, the key
should too but there's no real obvioius place to put a key like there
is a lock. My lock has a nice holder on the seat tube, my key doesn't
get that. So where's the fastest access method/place to put it?

I use my pocketses, or when wearing something that lacks them (which
is seldom), I stash them in the belt pack with my other essentials.
At home, they stay on the assigned hook on a wall. But then, the
bikes are all locked when home, since they're in a sheltered outdoor
location.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old January 28th 05, 05:29 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

[...]

BRBR

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old January 28th 05, 05:30 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

However, I have 126mm rear spacing and when I screw everything on, only
half the threads of each nut come in contact with the axle. I would buy
a new axle but I can not find a SINGLE store that sells 174mm axles
with those special shoulders that sit between the cartridges. BRBR

Probably not around..steel frame? cold set to 120mm.

Which hub?

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old January 28th 05, 07:19 PM
Sheldon Brown

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
My cartridge bearing hubs are spaced for a 120mm rear dropout with a=

axle just long enough for the two track nuts to fit on perfectly.
However, I have 126mm rear spacing and when I screw everything on, only=

half the threads of each nut come in contact with the axle. I would buy=

a new axle but I can not find a SINGLE store that sells 174mm axles
with those special shoulders that sit between the cartridges. So my
question is, one, am I making this a bigger issue that it is? And two,
if you answered no to the previous question, then were do I buy a
shouldered axle (as Barnett calls it)?

There are a number of critical variables for shouldered axles. In=20
additon to the normal thread pitch and diameter, you also need the right =

diameter where the bearings fit, and the right distance between shoulders=
=2E

There's no standardization in this, and aftermarket axle companies, such =

as Wheels, Inc. don't generally do shouldered axles. It is likely that=20
the axle you seek has not been manufactured.

Another question, where do you store your lock keys? Currently I have a=

rubber band tied to mine and I wrap it around the top tube. Since the
lock stays with the bike when it's not being used on a pole, the key
should too but there's no real obvioius place to put a key like there
is a lock. My lock has a nice holder on the seat tube, my key doesn't
get that. So where's the fastest access method/place to put it?

I have a couple of cheap French cable locks that I use for low risk=20
parking, and ran a zip-tie through the key ring. The zip tie is long=20
enough to go through the lock and to allow the key to be inserted. I=20
keep the key in the lock, and the ziptie will secure it should the key=20
accidentally fall out.

Sheldon "Antivol" Brown
| If your bike has drop handlebars, but you |
| rarely or never ride on the drops, it=92s a |
| sure sign that your bike is not properly |
| fitted or is not properly adjusted! |
| See: http://sheldonbrown.com/handsup |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Axle Question big Pete Techniques 2 October 16th 04 08:54 PM
disk-brake wheel-ejection question [email protected] Techniques 38 October 5th 04 02:38 AM
Noob Question: Valve Stem Lock Nuts xkred27 General 8 March 14th 04 02:49 PM
Question for the anti-helmet guys Harris Techniques 37 October 7th 03 04:40 PM