How many unicyclists out there?

Old October 26th 05, 10:38 PM
cathwood

Default How many unicyclists out there?

Perhaps it was 2%. I never was very good at remembering numbers.

Cathy

--
cathwood

Run to the bedroom in the suitcase on the left you'll find my favourite
axe;
Don't look so frightened this is just a passing phase, one of my bad
days - Pink Floyd.

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

Old October 26th 05, 11:14 PM
Loosemoose

thinuniking wrote:
ha ha ha ha ha! i am really lucky when i started 4 others started just
down the road then phil moved "near by" then i emailed sarah miller and
found she live near me to how cool is that!
so thats
7 i can count sarah miller includes paul unsure of 2nd name now!sorry!
This means i know riders for every thing i kinda do freestyle and i
know my self
sarah and paul do cross country/hockey/freestyle/distance/muni
phil- trials and muni(downhill rider i would say!)
the 4 others general ****ing around
Ben

Who are the 4 other riders near you? If you live in Devon then in your
general area are Trevor Scofield and the Uffculme people (Amanda, Matt,
Bishop, Butty, Alick, and about 5 more who's names I'm not sure on).

I think unicyclists tend to group around areas where they've learned,
so one person learns and a small group of friends forms around them as
they are introduced to it. Its a very social activity, I think being a
lone unicyclist is a little strained... Thats why i'm trying to teach
as many people as possible!! And I've got about 4 others who know how
to ride in the society, 1 more and I can play 3 a side uni hockey!!

Loose.

--
Loosemoose

Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
Officially a  & ~ expert.

_no1_quote_of_crawley_2005:_
Leigh: "Where's Trevor"
Baz: "I think he's upstairs, balancing The Bishop"
Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

Old October 26th 05, 11:24 PM
Spudman

If you judge by my town:

5 (known) unicyclists / 40,000 people = 0.013%

If you only count really serious unicyclists, though, and consider that
about (maybe) 10% of them have registered on this forum, you get about
110,000 unicyclists. It's not very much.

--
Spudman

|[/b] B B *|* THIS SPACE OWNED BY FLY :COOL:
*|* I O *|* THIS SPACE OWNED BY FREES*TYLER!*
*|* L A *|* *MERCYME OWNS THIS SPACE!!!
[b]|* L R *|* This space owned by unijesse
*|* - D *|* This space rendered by forrest
Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

Old October 27th 05, 12:21 AM
flyer

I was actually considering this a few days ago. It's certainly less than
a percentage point. However, I get a few people who come up to me and
mention how they can or could ride one once upon a time. And I've
taught five or six people to ride, it does spread quickly. I'd still
estimate there are no more than 100 people who can ride a one-wheeler
in my town of about 200,000 (is that how big it is? I'm not sure
anymore). Not many, to be sure.

edit: I'm probably the 'most serious' - while a few of them own
giraffes, none of them can wheel walk, and none of them practice on a
daily basis. That'd be 1/100 unicyclists.

--
flyer
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

Old October 27th 05, 01:17 AM
Fuego

I agree that unicycles happen in clumps. Before I learned to ride, there
were no unis in spearfish. Now, there are 7 in my town of about 12,000.

I think it's growing, though. A club just started a couple years ago in
Rapid City, and they took like 15 people to Moab. I think clumps happen
around dedicated riders. One person will teach others to ride, and it
goes from there.

--
Fuego

"Get off my Property before you sue me!"
-Morons everywhere.

'OneWheelNinjaSquad' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/OneWheelNinjaSquad)
Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

Old October 27th 05, 01:26 AM
trials_uni

i guess it depends on the crowd...if it were a crowd at a muni covention
then i would say 100 out of 100 but in just regular people... id say
maybe 1 in the hundred...maybe even one in a thousand

--
trials_uni

You can't get up and try it again if you don't fall first.
-Phil

Old October 27th 05, 01:58 AM
wheeliemaster

I live in a small town of about 3500 people, and I'm pretty darn sure
I'm the only unicyclist. I'm trying to get one of my daughter's
friends to do it. He was over at my house a while back and I got him
on my unicycle and told him how to ride it, and within 10 minutes he
was riding it 10 to 15 feet! He's got the capabilities, thats for
sure, but you also have to have desire, and that is what takes work on
some people.

--
wheeliemaster
wheeliemaster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10962

Old October 27th 05, 11:45 AM
habbywall

ask your teacher, i think a qualification for teacher is youve tried to
learn or can and dont have one,
at least at my school

--
habbywall

http://gameknot.com/?rfr=habbywall

*_THE_NEW_INTERNET!!!!_*[/size]
http://tinyurl.com/75pa2
habbywall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10260

Old October 27th 05, 01:18 PM
rob.northcott

I'm hoping to trigger a Princetown "clump". I've never seen another
unicyclist when I've been out riding, apart from when I've been on a
ride with other people. Some of the local youths seem to be gradually
moving from just taking the mick towards showing some interest, and a
couple of them have tried to ride my 20". So you never know, there
might be a unicyclist explosion in Princetown in the next few years

I don't believe Roger ever suggested 12% of the population can
unicycle. If that's true there must be some remote part of the country
(or world?) swarming with unicyclists, to make up for all the ones who
aren't anywhere I've ever been.

Even 1% seems a bit high in my opinion.

--
rob.northcott

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice

Old October 27th 05, 02:43 PM
THE dave

a whole lotta peopel can ride for like 10-30 feet.. its crazy, ive met
at least ten peopel that were like... hey i can ride a unicycle, and
they can jumpon mine and ride... its prett cool

--
THE dave

Toast
dave

psychoteledave2(at)hotmail(dot)com
Team Yams

- last edited by james_potter on 2005-10-5 at 3:58pm

last edited by unitik908 on 2005-09-06 at 04:12 am

last edited by forrestunifreak on 2005-09-09 at 03:51 am-
THE dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9259