AD: Scot-Cycling, list/newsgroup for Scottish leisure cyclists

Old March 18th 05, 12:07 AM
David Marsh

Default AD: Scot-Cycling, list/newsgroup for Scottish leisure cyclists

Scot-Cycling: a mailing list/newsgroup for discussing cycling in Scotland, UK,
which may be of interest to readers of this newsgroup.

(This is intended to act as a complement to the newsgroup uk.rec.cycling
which many people find is too high-traffic to follow regularly)

'Scot-Cycling' is a group intended mainly for discussions of leisure
cycling, both onroad/touring and offroad/mountain biking. Visitors
seeking information to help plan cycling holidays in Scotland are
especially welcome to ask for advice. (However, please note this list
is not particularly intended for discussion of competitive or
sporting cycling.)

Scot-Cycling is available either as a mailing list via email:

or as a newsgroup/"forum" through gmane:
at news.gmane.org
as gmane.culture.bicycle.scottish
(The following direct link will add the group to your newsreader:
(See also: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.culture.bicycle.scottish)

NB: In order to be able to post to the group through gmane, you must
first subscribe to the mailing list in 'no-mail mode' via YahooGroups
as above.

(Note that gmane and YahooGroups make archives of postings to the group
available to the public. As on any public group on the internet, you are
advised to post using a 'disposable' or 'time-limited' email address to
reduce the risk of spam: eg, if you have your own domain or subdomain,
create an email address of the form ' in addition
to your normal email address, and change this every year.

The email address you use to post to the group *must*, however, be valid
(and subscribed to the email list, even if only in 'no-mail mode').
This is to prevent spammers from posting to the group.)

There are a number of other groups related to cycling and cycle
campaigning in Scotland, please see:
http://www.viewport.co.uk/cycleway/lists

[This message is not intended as spam, as it is on-topic and non-commercial.
However, if you object to its posting, please *do* let me know.]

Old March 18th 05, 07:17 AM
JohnB

David Marsh wrote:

Scot-Cycling: a mailing list/newsgroup for discussing cycling in Scotland, UK,
which may be of interest to readers of this newsgroup.

(This is intended to act as a complement to the newsgroup uk.rec.cycling
which many people find is too high-traffic to follow regularly)

How was this determined?
Was a survey of all users taken?

John B
Old March 18th 05, 10:29 AM
James Annan

JohnB wrote:
David Marsh wrote:

Scot-Cycling: a mailing list/newsgroup for discussing cycling in

Scotland, UK,
which may be of interest to readers of this newsgroup.

(This is intended to act as a complement to the newsgroup

uk.rec.cycling
which many people find is too high-traffic to follow regularly)

How was this determined?
Was a survey of all users taken?

Yes. But we didn't bother asking the obnoxioue pedants (um...apart from
me, obviously).

:-)

James

Old March 18th 05, 12:20 PM
Simon Brooke

in message .com,
James Annan ') wrote:

But we didn't bother asking the obnoxioue pedants

pedant class="obnoxious"
That's 'obnoxious', Shirley.
/pedant

;; not so much a refugee from reality, more a bogus
;; asylum seeker

Old March 18th 05, 12:49 PM
JohnB

James Annan wrote:

Yes. But we didn't bother asking the obnoxioue pedants (um...apart from
me, obviously).

:-)

Apologies. I'm in a niggly mood.
Yobs in car drove at my daughter [1] last night :-(

[1} who was walking on the pavement.

John B
Old March 18th 05, 01:31 PM
dkahn400

JohnB wrote:

Apologies. I'm in a niggly mood.
Yobs in car drove at my daughter [1] last night :-(

[1} who was walking on the pavement.

And it wasn't even Friday night. :-(

Was she badly shaken?

--
Dave...

Old March 18th 05, 01:42 PM
JohnB

dkahn400 wrote:

JohnB wrote:

Apologies. I'm in a niggly mood.
Yobs in car drove at my daughter [1] last night :-(

[1} who was walking on the pavement.

And it wasn't even Friday night. :-(

Was she badly shaken?

Quite shook up.
She called the police and made a statement.

John B
Old March 19th 05, 09:36 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:42:41 +0000, JohnB wrote in
message :

She called the police and made a statement.

I suspect I'd have made a few statements, too, under the
circumstances.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old March 19th 05, 09:36 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:07:12 +0000, David Marsh
wrote in message
:

Scot-Cycling: a mailing list/newsgroup for discussing cycling in Scotland, UK,
which may be of interest to readers of this newsgroup.

But which is posted twice because the poster knows it is spam and the
cancelbots will probably kill it.

Guy

Old March 19th 05, 09:57 AM
James Annan

David Marsh wrote:

Speaking as a fairly veteran user of usenet, there's usually been a
tradition that occasional, non-commercial "adverts" are acceptable.
If regular readers deem this to be annoying, I'll reduce the posting
frequency.

It seems entirely reasonable to me.

James