aw nuts!

Old January 19th 04, 08:19 PM
muniracer

Default aw nuts!

i was riding and looked down and...gasp! here is the crank with the
missing piece. its not the side i crank grab with so i dont know how i
lost it. i think its just a dust cap but if not...darn.

| Attachment filename: sv400069.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/186122|

muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuq25
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

Old January 19th 04, 08:20 PM
muniracer

sorry the pics are so big but here is the side with the piece.

| Attachment filename: sv400070.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/186123|

Old January 19th 04, 08:33 PM
phil

That's more than a dust cap, it's the self extractor for the crank. With
that thing in, unscrewing the bolt in the centre will pull the crank
off. Without it it'll just remove the bolt but leave the crank there.

I think they're threaded the same on both sides, so you should be okay;
just don't lose the other one...

I haven't worked out a really satisfactory way of tightening the things.
I use the end of a screwdriver (or key, if I'm in the middle of nowhere)
to push them tight. Presumably you can get a special gadget to tighten
them properly...

Phil

--
phil - ex-studenty type

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

Old January 19th 04, 08:44 PM
phil

Incidentally, 'IrfanView' (http://www.irfanview.com) is a very nice
little program that will shrink pictures down so you don't end up with
almost 2MBs of pictures in a thread...

Phil

Old January 19th 04, 08:53 PM
mike.hinson

phil wrote:
*...I haven't worked out a really satisfactory way of tightening the
things. ...*

I put a piece of spoke in each hole (as they fit well), then lever them
round while holding the ends of the spoke offcuts.

/\/\

--
mike.hinson - Unicyclist since Nov 2000

"...they all began to chant "You ride a baby bike!!" over and over and
over. Then their chant turned into "you have no hair!!" Which made
absolutely no sense at all. It was hilarious." -- Ender
mike.hinson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1652

Old January 19th 04, 08:54 PM
eenwieler

the link doesn't work

Ferko

--
eenwieler - One wheel is everything I need.

Eenwieler, Einrad, Unicycle, Monocycle. It is just the same!
eenwieler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3829

Old January 19th 04, 11:38 PM
muniracer

if i have a crank extracter tool then i should still be good right?
just unscrew bolt, then use crank extractor as i normally would with a
square tapered crank...

Old January 19th 04, 11:59 PM
Sofa

I can't really tell. Can you post a larger photo?

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx)

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.0

'your so stupid' - *)---(x)*

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old January 20th 04, 05:06 AM
gerblefranklin

muniracer wrote:
*if i have a crank extracter tool then i should still be good right?
just unscrew bolt, then use crank extractor as i normally would with a
square tapered crank... *

Nope. I have the old onza, and I lost the dust cap on my
non-crankgrabbing crank, too. The dust caps are reverse threaded, so a
normal crank-extractor will strip out your cranks. Also, the tool for
removing the dust caps is called a spanner wrench. I don't have one, so
I use a hemostat (aka roach-clip for you stoners out there), or small
scissors.

A note for all you onza owners: I have the old Onza, and when I took
apart the cranksert, I found the bolts were tightening on the splines. I
put a washer in there to rectify the problem. I reccomend you do too. It
only makes the bolt stick out an extra 1/8". Also, the hub works like
the profiles. Don't fully tighten the right crank, alternate. 1/2 turn
right, 1/2 turn left... That way the axle stays centered in the hub. If
you do one side completely first, you can pull the axle out of the hub
(I'm not saying this from observation, but sadly, experience).

--
gerblefranklin

Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?