Why OR is getting 500 ccx riders-A halloween Race report

Old November 3rd 03, 09:31 PM
Candi Murray

Default Why OR is getting 500 ccx riders-A halloween Race report

For those who missed it. The Johnson Farm cross event had copious

amounts of beer, snow, costumes, a chain-saw wielding madman and one

cyclo-streaker. The course was really a mountain bike circuit with one

set of barriers and a mud pit - followed by a longish run-up. A good

portion of the course was washboard like bumps, technical descents

through the trees and some steepish climbs. It appeared that the MTBers

had the upper hand, especially on the descents. I somehow missed the

memo to bring a mountain bike. After reconnoitering the course I said

"my goal is to stay upright, not break anything (me or the bike) and

have fun." Mission accomplished.

Big Dave R and I did the C race and I somehow found my self in the front

row. At the start we sprinted up a hill and entered the course. I got

a better than expected start and as Dave went by me he said, "ride your

own race." Good advice Dave. As we entered the bumpy down-hill section

my inner voice said "hold back a little, your taking too much risk on

the descents." Then, Bill Cass's voice piped in loudly and said "listen

to that voice!" "Yes Bill" and I rolled around the course the rest of

the race within my limit. Occasionally, some guy on an MTB would glide

by me and disappear into the woods. About mid race it started snowing.

The snow was sticking in the open areas and the course was starting to

disintegrate. Especially in the mud pit. On the last lap, just as I

was about to enter the mud pit, two tandems were stuck in the middle -

parallel to the course. All four riders were on the ground. It was

completely blocked. One of the tandem teams was dressed as Mary-Kate

and Ashley. I actually came to a complete stop and waited for it to

clear out so I could get a good run through the pit. The last thing I

wanted was to end up on top of some guy in drag. People had cameras!

So, that's my race. I think I ended up in the top half of the field.

I'm hopeful that Dave ended up in the top 10.

The real excitement was the B race (I didn't stay for the As). The

barrier section was actually on a wooden bridge that went over the mud

pit. The course was essentially a figure eight and the bridge/mud-pit

was the confluence. Stationed there were two kegs of beer (free beer I

might add) and good sized bon-fire. Naturally, the crowds congregated

there to stay warm, watch the madness and drink the free beer. Yes.

You guessed it. People were standing above the mud pit and pouring

water (and I witnessed on more than one occasion beer) into the pit. It

became a sloppy mess that was barely passable. As the race went on, the

crowd got louder and more rowdy. It's amazing how free beer will do

that. The costumes were great. There was a French Maid, a Can-Can

Dancer, Spider Man and Bianchi Man (I don't need to tell you who that

was do I?). Also, there was a guy in a Tigger costume. We are talking

a full costume with thick fur like you would see a college mascot

wearing. He was riding a balloon tire cruiser with a spring loaded

seat. Tigger's seat actually broke off and he ran the entire last lap

of the course. Tigger was a crowd favorite. At one point, Bianchi Man

disappeared into the woods for some time. I was worried that the ski

mask wearing, chain saw wielding madman had got him. However, he

apparently had problems with his Dune Buggy pole and orange flag. At

the end of the race, I did see Bianchi Man running the last section of

the course, pushing his bike, looking quite disturbed as if he'd seen

something he shouldn't. I wouldn't have noticed, but I heard this guy

running through the woods rambling on - something about being a racer on

a racing team. Go-figure. As far as the race goes, two guys on MTBs

went off the front at the start and trounced the field.

Nathan Coffey rode an excellent race in the single speed division on his

1-geared MTB. For a good portion of the race, he was in third holding

off John Ralrod. I think Mr. Ralrod passed him on the last lap and

Nathan finished 4th or 5th - a bit hard to keep track of with al the

lapped riders and such. Also in the single-speed (run simultaneously

with the Bs) there is always someone going after the double points by

wearing a Speedo. Now, remember it's snowing pretty good by now and all

of the trees are blanketed in a pristine white cover. It's time to name

names hear. This week's brief clad competitor was Sacha White who many

of you know as the proprietor of Vanilla Bicycles. Sacha started the

race with pink furry briefs. However, he didn't end it that way. As I

was walking to my car, and just after hearing the muffled ramblings of a

running Bianchi Man, I looked over and that's when I saw it. Nothing

but shoes, butt-crack and a helmet as Sacha was powering through the

woods heading for the finish line. Now, I don't know what happened in

those woods and I don't know what the Bianchi man saw, but he was

mumbling, running like hell and he had a scared look on his face.

Old November 5th 03, 07:27 PM
sabine

"Candi Murray" wrote in message news:wOzpb.97814$Tr4.259992@attbi_s03...
For those who missed it. The Johnson Farm cross event had copious

amounts of beer, snow, costumes, a chain-saw wielding madman and one

cyclo-streaker. The course was really a mountain bike circuit with one

set of barriers and a mud pit -

Yeah , well I bet they didn't have a gorilla wearing purple lingerie
Sounds like we would have enjoyed that race!

Sabine