A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Exeter road rage driver banned for mowing down cyclist in Tesco car park



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 23rd 20, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,026
Default Exeter road rage driver banned for mowing down cyclist in Tesco car park

Good verdict for the criminal driver. Love the milkshake wriggle!
QUOTE:
A driver has been banned for deliberately ramming a cyclist in a road rage attack in a supermarket car park.

Damon Browning became angry with take-away delivery rider Carl Bennett because he thought he had cut him up at a roundabout on the way to Tesco in Digby, Exeter.

He played cat and mouse with the cyclist by stopping to let him pass and then overtaking him so close that his wing mirror (SIC) nearly hit him.

He leaned out of his window after stopping for the third time and asked ‘do you want to sort it out here?’ Mr Bennett replied ‘really?’ and rode off.

He heard Browning’s car revving up behind him and was then hit by it and thrown onto the bonnet before falling onto the road.

Browning left him injured on the tarmac as he swerved around him and drove away at speed, Exeter Crown Court was told.

A judge branded him a coward and told him the only reason he was not going straight to jail was the coronavirus pandemic, which has led to an instruction from the Lord Chief Justice to use custody as a last resort.

Browning, aged 25, of Emmanuel Close, Exeter, admitted dangerous driving and was jailed for a year, suspended for 18 months, ordered to do 150 hours unpaid work and pay £500 compensation.

He was banned from driving for two years by Judge David Evans and ordered to take an extended re-test before he is allowed back on the road. (applause)

The judge told him: ”You used your car as a weapon. It is a matter of luck that the cyclist was not more seriously injured. Witnesses saw you deliberately rev up your engine and collide with the back of his bike.

“This was an incident of road rage, effectively, where your culpability was very high, although tempered by your autism.

“You drove into him from behind like a coward, thereby taking a very real, and importantly, an uncontrollable risk. You could have caused really serious injury or even death.

“I would be sending you straight to prison today. The only thing saving you is the pandemic and the conditions it has created in prison. With your autism, it would not just be difficult, it would be awful.” (IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE FUN - SM)

Mr Joss Ticehurst, prosecuting, said the incident started at a roundabout close to the supermarket where Browning felt he had been made to brake suddenly by the cyclist, who was working for a food delivery service.

He overtook him but then slowed down twice to let him pass as they both headed towards the car park. They exchanged gestures and Browning asked Mr Bennett if he wanted to ‘sort it out’.

The cyclist rode off and then heard the car revving behind him and being thrown onto the bonnet. He suffered bruising to his back and head, his electric bike was wrecked, his phone and glasses were broken, and the total cost to him was more than £2,000.

Miss Rachel Smith, defending, said Browning has been diagnosed with autism but has managed to hold down a job. He tries to avoid confrontation normally and has not been in trouble before.

He acted out of character because it was a time of great stress. His pregnant partner suffered serious morning sickness and had asked him to take her to a shop to satisfy a craving for a milk shake. (WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY THIS BEFORE? - SM)

She was physically sick just before the collision and Browning was panicking when he hit the cyclist and drove off. (SOB SOB - SM)

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon...banned-4352711
Ads
  #2  
Old July 23rd 20, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,699
Default Exeter road rage driver banned for mowing down cyclist in Tescocar park

On 23/07/2020 10:55, Simon Mason wrote:

He acted out of character because it was a time of great stress. His
pregnant partner suffered serious morning sickness and had asked him
to take her to a shop to satisfy a craving for a milk shake. (WHY
DIDN'T YOU SAY THIS BEFORE? - SM)

She was physically sick just before the collision and Browning was
panicking when he hit the cyclist and drove off. (SOB SOB - SM)

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon...banned-4352711



Oh look, yet another driver in a hurry that could find time to have an
argument. Is it an epidemic?
  #3  
Old July 23rd 20, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,026
Default Exeter road rage driver banned for mowing down cyclist in Tescocar park

On Thursday, July 23, 2020 at 11:09:46 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 23/07/2020 10:55, Simon Mason wrote:

He acted out of character because it was a time of great stress. His
pregnant partner suffered serious morning sickness and had asked him
to take her to a shop to satisfy a craving for a milk shake. (WHY
DIDN'T YOU SAY THIS BEFORE? - SM)

She was physically sick just before the collision and Browning was
panicking when he hit the cyclist and drove off. (SOB SOB - SM)

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon...banned-4352711



Oh look, yet another driver in a hurry that could find time to have an
argument. Is it an epidemic?


QUOTE:
He leaned out of his window after stopping for the third time.
ENDS

He had time to stop THREE TIMES?
  #4  
Old July 23rd 20, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,026
Default Exeter road rage driver banned for mowing down cyclist in Tesco car park

On Thursday, July 23, 2020 at 10:55:39 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
Supers79 | 58 posts | 2 hours ago
2 likes

So a couple of weeks ago an elderly person with cataracts gets a custodial sentence for accidentally hitting (killing) a cyclist yet this guy gets off for using his car as a weapon, which could have killed the victim?!

Austsim, like cataracts is a reportable (condition), if it affects your ability to drive, which this undoubtedly does. The DVLA should not be allowing the defendant to reapply for his licence in this case.


  #5  
Old July 24th 20, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 639
Default Exeter road rage driver banned for mowing down cyclist in Tescocar park

On 23/07/2020 18:31, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, July 23, 2020 at 10:55:39 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
Supers79 | 58 posts | 2 hours ago
2 likes

So a couple of weeks ago an elderly person with cataracts gets a custodial sentence for accidentally hitting (killing) a cyclist yet this guy gets off for using his car as a weapon, which could have killed the victim?!

Austsim, like cataracts is a reportable (condition), if it affects your ability to drive, which this undoubtedly does. The DVLA should not be allowing the defendant to reapply for his licence in this case.


Serious question:

What business do cyclists have in car parks?
  #6  
Old July 24th 20, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,699
Default Exeter road rage driver banned for mowing down cyclist in Tesco car park

On 24/07/2020 00:10, JNugent wrote:

Serious question:

What business do cyclists have in car parks?


To get to the shop.
  #7  
Old July 24th 20, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
colwyn[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 323
Default Exeter road rage driver banned for mowing down cyclist in Tesco car park

On 24/07/2020 00:10, JNugent wrote:
On 23/07/2020 18:31, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, July 23, 2020 at 10:55:39 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
* Supers79 | 58 posts | 2 hours ago
2 likes

So a couple of weeks ago an elderly person with cataracts gets a
custodial sentence for accidentally hitting (killing) a cyclist yet
this guy gets off for using his car as a weapon, which could have
killed the victim?!

Austsim, like cataracts is a reportable (condition), if it affects
your ability to drive, which this undoubtedly does.* The DVLA should
not be allowing the defendant to reapply for his licence in this case.


Serious question:

What business do cyclists have in car parks?


To transport your bike home, having been for an exhilarating ride in our
beautiful country side.
I do it frequently!
  #8  
Old July 24th 20, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 639
Default Exeter road rage driver banned for mowing down cyclist in Tescocar park

On 24/07/2020 08:34, TMS320 wrote:

On 24/07/2020 00:10, JNugent wrote:

Serious question:

What business do cyclists have in car parks?


To get to the shop.


A car-park isn't a highway.

I suppose you might call it a type of pavement though.
  #9  
Old July 24th 20, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 639
Default Exeter road rage driver banned for mowing down cyclist in Tesco car park

On 24/07/2020 10:11, colwyn wrote:
On 24/07/2020 00:10, JNugent wrote:
On 23/07/2020 18:31, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, July 23, 2020 at 10:55:39 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
* Supers79 | 58 posts | 2 hours ago
2 likes

So a couple of weeks ago an elderly person with cataracts gets a
custodial sentence for accidentally hitting (killing) a cyclist yet
this guy gets off for using his car as a weapon, which could have
killed the victim?!

Austsim, like cataracts is a reportable (condition), if it affects
your ability to drive, which this undoubtedly does.* The DVLA should
not be allowing the defendant to reapply for his licence in this case.


Not allowing him to even make an application, so that he has a right of
appeal against the decision (if necessary)?

Did you get that one out of the Heinrich Himmler guide to administrative
law?

Serious question:

What business do cyclists have in car parks?


To transport your bike home, having been for an exhilarating ride in our
beautiful country side.
I do it frequently!


Are there any other reasons why anyone should cycle in a car-park?

Car-parks are the scene of far-too-frequent crimes of theft, damage and
assault (even murder). A law banning the presence of anyone in a
car-park except for the occupants (or riders) of motor-vehicles which
are either being parked or loaded and retrieved (and of course, the
owners and employees of the car-park for operational and maintenance
purposes) would make the job of the police much easier. Just being there
without having that lawful excuse would be an offence in its own right.
It would reduce crime and allow legitimate users of car-parks for their
intended purposes to feel more secure.

  #10  
Old July 24th 20, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,699
Default Exeter road rage driver banned for mowing down cyclist in Tescocar park

On 24/07/2020 14:51, JNugent wrote:
On 24/07/2020 08:34, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/07/2020 00:10, JNugent wrote:

Serious question:

What business do cyclists have in car parks?


To get to the shop.


A car-park isn't a highway.

I suppose you might call it a type of pavement though.


I suppose you might call it the only way to get from a public road to a
shop.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audi driver ‘deliberately aims car at cyclist at speed in road rage Bod[_5_] UK 2 August 6th 18 07:56 PM
Video of cyclist attacking a driver with acid (not road rage) MrCheerful UK 3 September 6th 17 01:00 AM
Driver threatens to break cyclist’s neck in bout of road rage near Richmond Park Bod[_5_] UK 3 August 25th 15 10:28 AM
Police hunt road rage cyclist after attack on bus driver Mrcheerful UK 1 July 17th 14 06:44 PM
Road rage bus driver faces jail for swerving in to cyclist Simon Mason[_4_] UK 59 January 28th 12 05:20 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.