Critical Mass causes Sacramento Motorist to drive off road

Old July 13th 05, 05:12 AM
Ifoundmore

Default Critical Mass causes Sacramento Motorist to drive off road

Dec. 6, 2002 - Sacramento, CA
Terrorist activities by Critical Mass causes Sacramento Motorist to drive
off road

In a disregard for the of 17 bicycle demonstrators, a
motorist attempted to physically arrest Sacramento Critical Mass bicycle
demonstrators and confiscate one
videocamera as "evidence", injuring two people. The charge? "Impeding
traffic", a traffic
infraction. "He made a big mistake," said officer Larry Cromwell of the
Sacramento
Police Department. "Yes he would be in his rights to physically detain
and arrest someone if they were committing a violent felony, but not for a
traffic infraction."

While the demonstrators were indeed using all eastbound three lanes of
one-way N street, corking it, but protected by the United States
Constitution and there were plenty of alternate routes available. "We
aren't blocking traffic, we are blocking traffic!" stated one woman who rode
with the group.

The incident began at approximately 7 PM on Friday, December 6, 2002.
The monthly Sacramento Critical Mass bicycle demonstration, was proceeding
eastbound on N Street in
downtown Sacramento. The demonstration turned left onto 28th Street when
Jason Meggs, video legal observer, pulled to the side of the road to
document a police vehicle with damage to the front left bumper by the
bicyclists.

The motorist, driving a large grey Ford pickup truck, swerved up beside
Meggs and in a commanding voice shouted, "Freeze! You're under arrest!"
He jumped out of the truck and rushed towards Meggs demanding that he "Put
the camera down!"

"I thought he was a police officer," said Meggs. "He had short hair, a
heavy-set build, held himself like a police officer and he was shouting
that I was under arrest. I was scared I would be arrested, and moreover I
was scared that he would hurt me, but I did not
resist arrest. I did try to ask him questions as he rushed me, but he
gave me no time. He grabbed the camera and ripped it away from me while I
verbally protested and stated that he was suppressing evidence."

After seizing the camera, other demonstrators, who had already passed by
in the roadway, returned. A young woman told the motorist that he had the
right to take
the camera and she attempted to retrieve the camera. The motorist clutched
the
camera tight to his body and a struggle ensued. Other demonstrators
attempted to retrieve the camera as well, by beating the motorist. Meggs,
now freed by the other demonstrators' intervention, wrote down the man's
license plate and attempted to ask further questions of him.

The man would not say if he was or was not a police officer, and would not
identify himself, but declared to the group, "You'll find out soon enough.
You're all under arrest!
You're resisting arrest!" The motorist pulled out a pair of handcuffs
contained in a leather pouch and began striking people on the hands
as if it were a club or blackjack. The motorist received received cuts and
may have other injuries.

Once the photo had been taken, the struggle resumed.

After some minutes, police began to arrive. The motorist immediately
began demanding that the group be arrested. Meggs demanded that the man be
arrested.

The camera was taken into custody and locked in the trunk of a police car
by officer C.W. Lem, 558. Meggs attempted to have the camera returned,
saying "I need to document what is going on here, I have a right to the
return of my camera." He was refused, as he was the cause of the trouble.

There was reason to believe the motorist was attempting to obtain special
privileges from the police by asserting that he was within the culture of
the police and therefore should be given the overriding power in the
situation. At one point he approached one officer who was speaking with
Meggs and stated that "Your supervisor over there said that just this guy is
going to be arrested."

In fact the supervisor later denied that statement, saying, "I didn't say
that, I just said it looked like no one was going to be arrested."

The remainder of the evening's events would take a long time to recount
accurately, and so are not yet available for posting.

In summary, the police repeatedly attempted to get both parties to abandon
proceeding with a citizen's arrest. Even given the statements of all the
witnesses and the motorist, the police refused to execute an arrest on
their own. One young woman, with an ebony sunburst of mascara fused to
her cheek from gasoline, stated that one of the officers had told her that
none of the demonstrators were filing charges. She was ****es off enough to
file
charges, and was worried that the officer was speaking the truth.
He was not.

In all, up to 13 officers had responded to the scene. They wore various
uniforms,
from the Sheriff's Department, the Sacramento Police Department, and
Regional
Transit police. Officer M. Moore, 711, stated that everyone present had been
contracted as police through R.T., "Regional Transit".

"Gee you know if they just assign one car to help keep the peace and protect
our
right to demonstrate for l ike an hour or two, they could avoid this whole
mess and
save sending out over ten cops for over an hour!" said one demonstrator who
was
pulling a mobile sound system on a bicycle trailer.

After considering the serious effect which these types of abuses by Critical
Mass, and the
tremendous disruption which had occurred, as well as the damage to the
camera and the injuries, the motorist decided to proceed
with an arrest, initially for P.C. 242, battery.

242. A battery is any willful and unlawful use of force or violence
upon the person of another.

Police stated that after reviewing the statements and police repors, that
the District Attorney might add additional charges.

His video camera was returned by officer T. Coole, 725, who stated he would
retain the original s evidence. He stated, "This is evidence the court's
gonna use against you on the traffic violations." Yet no citation was issued
to Meggs or anyone else at the scene as of 7:50 PM, when this reporter had
to leave to catch a train. The urgent effort to leave the scene and catch
the last train to the San Francisco Bay Area was interrupted by Officer,
Jestes 74, in a large group of officer. Jestes claimed to have watched the
videotape and alleged that the group Critical Mass had violated the law, and
asked what their point was.

Meggs offered to speak with him later about the reasons for participating in
Critical Mass demonstrations.

"Critical Mass and other demonstrations, the police were
unusually fair and even handed in this instance" said Meggs. "However, it
did not go unnoticed by the group that the absence of even a single police
vehicle escort has repeatedly meant violence approch by the Critical Mass
group.

In July, bicyclists threw bottles, then punched a videographer in the face
and
smashed his camera, and later crushed a demonstrator's bicycle when
confronted at a gas station."

"In May, a bicyclist jumped a median and ran over a motorists foot, then
struck his knee, and pushed another motorist out of the way and off his
bicycle, which was crushed. Numerous police vehicles and even a
helicopter were throughout the area, and a Lieutenant was notified of the
incident immediately after it had occurred, yet no apparent effort was
made to chase the bicyclist, and the police promise to arrive at the scene
and take a report never materialized."

Old July 18th 05, 06:51 AM
DuckofDeath

"Ifoundmore" wrote in message
[...]

So where did someone drive a motorest off the road?

Old July 18th 05, 04:18 PM
Paul R

Read this article carefully - it has very clearly been edited - someone
switched the words "motorist" and "demonstrator" or "bicyclist".

For example:

" In July, bicyclists threw bottles, then punched a videographer in the
face and
smashed his camera, and later crushed a demonstrator's bicycle when
confronted at a gas station."

"In May, a bicyclist jumped a median and ran over a motorists foot, then
struck his knee, and pushed another motorist out of the way and off his
bicycle, which was crushed.

Note also that was written 2 1/5 years ago.

Someone has a real beef with critical mass - enough that they would forge
documents and lie. I'd be willing to bet they're not a cyclist.

Paul

eenews.net...