Cable Liner under Bottom Bracket

Old March 7th 18, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Cable Liner under Bottom Bracket

The recovered Roubaix meth-mobile has internal cables and hoses (that were miserable to fish around in the frame), but it has an open window under the bottom of the bottom bracket where the cables are exposed but run through inner-liner. the ends of the inner liner are inside the frame or run up the front derailleur cable.

The cables on my commuter run externally and stick a lot on the BB cable guide, and I was wondering if anyone has tried putting those through a run of inner liner. I suspect they might fill up with water, but they might also keep the cables from sticking.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 7th 18, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/6/2018 7:17 PM, jbeattie wrote:
The recovered Roubaix meth-mobile has internal cables and hoses (that were miserable to fish around in the frame), but it has an open window under the bottom of the bottom bracket where the cables are exposed but run through inner-liner. the ends of the inner liner are inside the frame or run up the front derailleur cable.

The cables on my commuter run externally and stick a lot on the BB cable guide, and I was wondering if anyone has tried putting those through a run of inner liner. I suspect they might fill up with water, but they might also keep the cables from sticking.

-- Jay Beattie.

Every system has its own foibles and failures.

In my experience, a regular drop of oil on open nylon
under-BB guides is as good a system as there is.

Adding a tube over them won't help unless the ends of that
tube are inside the frame, otherwise they clog promptly with
crud, sticking worse than open guides with energy drink
splashes.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 7th 18, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/6/2018 8:42 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/6/2018 7:17 PM, jbeattie wrote:
The recovered Roubaix meth-mobile has internal cables and hoses (that
were miserable to fish around in the frame), but it has an open window
under the bottom of the bottom bracket where the cables are exposed
but run through inner-liner. the ends of the inner liner are inside
the frame or run up the front derailleur cable.

The cables on my commuter run externally and stick a lot on the BB
cable guide, and I was wondering if anyone has tried putting those
through a run of inner liner.Â* I suspect they might fill up with
water, but they might also keep the cables from sticking.

-- Jay Beattie.

Every system has its own foibles and failures.

In my experience, a regular drop of oil on open nylon under-BB guides is
as good a system as there is.

Adding a tube over them won't help unless the ends of that tube are
inside the frame, otherwise they clog promptly with crud, sticking worse
than open guides with energy drink splashes.

It sounds very similar to the short housing section used for some bikes'
front derailleur cable, to turn its path from the downtube up to the
derailleur. Those were about 3" long, bent about 150 degrees, with each
end pointed upward. In my experience, they inhaled crud and water which
never drained out. In cold weather the water froze and there was no
front shifting. Before stainless steel cables, the cables rusted in
there and caused similar problems.

On one mountain bike, I remember sealing them, more or less, with a
dollop of silicon seal at each end. It seemed to help a bit but was no
cure.

About the alternative, the nylon guide under the bottom bracket:
Cleaning and oiling there is a task I often forget, until I wonder why
my shifting seems wonky.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Old March 8th 18, 06:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 17:17:16 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

The recovered Roubaix meth-mobile has internal cables and hoses (that were miserable to fish around in the frame), but it has an open window under the bottom of the bottom bracket where the cables are exposed but run through inner-liner. the ends of the inner liner are inside the frame or run up the front derailleur cable.

The cables on my commuter run externally and stick a lot on the BB cable guide, and I was wondering if anyone has tried putting those through a run of inner liner. I suspect they might fill up with water, but they might also keep the cables from sticking.

-- Jay Beattie.

One of my bikes has a plastic BB guide and just cleaning it
occasionally seems to work. No evidence of sticking at all.

But of course, I'm riding all year in what you'd call "summer weather"
:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 8th 18, 07:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dave[_3_]

wrote:

The recovered Roubaix meth-mobile has internal cables and hoses (that
were miserable to fish around in the frame), but it has an open window
under the bottom of the bottom bracket where the cables are exposed but
run through inner-liner. the ends of the inner liner are inside the
frame or run up the front derailleur cable.

The cables on my commuter run externally and stick a lot on the BB cable
guide, and I was wondering if anyone has tried putting those through a
run of inner liner. I suspect they might fill up with water, but they
might also keep the cables from sticking.

One of my bikes has a plastic BB guide and just cleaning it occasionally
seems to work. No evidence of sticking at all.

But of course, I'm riding all year in what you'd call "summer weather"
:-)

What? You have 40C - 50C year round? That's unfortunate.

--
davethedave
Old March 8th 18, 08:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

The recovered Roubaix meth-mobile has internal cables and hoses (that
were miserable to fish around in the frame), but it has an open window
under the bottom of the bottom bracket where the cables are exposed but
run through inner-liner. the ends of the inner liner are inside the
frame or run up the front derailleur cable.

The cables on my commuter run externally and stick a lot on the BB cable
guide, and I was wondering if anyone has tried putting those through a
run of inner liner. I suspect they might fill up with water, but they
might also keep the cables from sticking.

One of my bikes has a plastic BB guide and just cleaning it occasionally
seems to work. No evidence of sticking at all.

But of course, I'm riding all year in what you'd call "summer weather"
:-)

What? You have 40C - 50C year round? That's unfortunate.

From the posts that Jay makes about his commuting I don't think he has
to be at Celsius 40 degrees to announce "Summer". I suspect that
anything over (say) 10 degrees C. meets the requirements in Seattle.
Assuming it doesn't rain that day, of course :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 9th 18, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Finish Line for a closed tube from start

Open line CRC ELECTRONICS CLEANer tube power flush n r
tooth brush then CRC HD SILICONE from ANAZON the FINISH LINE

Cold here 52*