is google groups blocking rbt usenet group?

Old October 7th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RicodJour

Default is Google Groups blocking RBT Usenet group?

On Oct 5, 6:33*pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,

*landotter wrote:
On Oct 5, 3:56*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Dan Zarfus wrote:
Hi,

Had to go into outlook and mess around to send a message to group
and check on my last msg... anyone know whats up? *Google groups
hasn't updated rbt for a day...

Why would anyone use Google Groups unless they could not otherwise
get a Usenet feed?

Because some of us prefer GG as you are not tied to a single
computer.

Hmm. *I can log into my ISP's NNTP secure server from any computer,
although it's got some limitations (come to think of it, though, I can't
recall every doing this. *I just take my laptop with me). *Granted that
this sort of approach is not going to work for everyone.

Google is your mainframe.

Your mainframe, perhaps; certainly not mine and I doubt very much if it
is Tom's. *Perhaps it was reading _1984_ and _The Shockwave Rider_
during my formative years that makes me seriously distrust the
"new"trend toward mega-centralized content and services such as what
Google is providing. *They've violated their "do no evil" credo enough
times already.

It seems to me that newsgroup postings aren't exactly high risk
information. I do understand the sentiment, but there are far more
serious intrusions into your privacy and internet movements.

Old October 7th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Del Cecchi

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message
In article
,
Dan O wrote:

On Oct 5, 3:33 pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,

landotter wrote:
On Oct 5, 3:56 pm, Tom Sherman

wrote:
Dan Zarfus wrote:
Hi,

Had to go into outlook and mess around to send a message to
group and check on my last msg... anyone know whats up?
Google groups hasn't updated rbt for a day...

Why would anyone use Google Groups unless they could not
otherwise get a Usenet feed?

Because some of us prefer GG as you are not tied to a single
computer.

Hmm. I can log into my ISP's NNTP secure server from any
computer,

My ISP does not provide a news feed.

A far too common situation these days. I fear that Usenet's days
are
numbered, at least as a service provided by most ISPs.

Then either cough up a few euros to news.individual.net or look around
for one of the free or inexpensive servers widely available

del cecchi

Old October 7th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Dan O wrote:

On Oct 5, 3:33 pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,

landotter wrote:
On Oct 5, 3:56 pm, Tom Sherman

wrote:
Dan Zarfus wrote:
Hi,

Had to go into outlook and mess around to send a message to
group and check on my last msg... anyone know whats up?
Google groups hasn't updated rbt for a day...

Why would anyone use Google Groups unless they could not
otherwise get a Usenet feed?

Because some of us prefer GG as you are not tied to a single
computer.

Hmm. I can log into my ISP's NNTP secure server from any
computer,

My ISP does not provide a news feed.

A far too common situation these days. I fear that Usenet's days
are
numbered, at least as a service provided by most ISPs.

Then either cough up a few euros to news.individual.net or look around
for one of the free or inexpensive servers widely available

I don't have any euros to cough up (not too many dollars, either).

I did look around a little for a (free) news feed, but wasn't thrilled
with what I readily found.

Google is free. I don't have any particular problems with them (quite
the contrary, in fact).

I wasn't *complaining* that my ISP doesn't provide a news feed. I was
offering it as a reason for using Google.

Google owns the Deja archives. Usenet archives are one of the most
valuable sources of information anywhere. They're not going away.

Old October 7th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Del Cecchi

"Dan O" wrote in message

Dan O wrote:

On Oct 5, 3:33 pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,

landotter wrote:
On Oct 5, 3:56 pm, Tom Sherman

wrote:
Dan Zarfus wrote:
[...]

News.individual.net is like 10 or 12 euros per year. And the google
interface is so bad it is worth 20 dollars not to have to use it,
unless compelled to in order to access the archives.

del

Old October 8th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Dan Overman wrote:

Dan O wrote:
On Oct 5, 3:33 pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,
landotter wrote:
On Oct 5, 3:56 pm, Tom Sherman

wrote:
[...]
Why would anyone use Google Groups unless they could not
otherwise get a Usenet feed?
Because some of us prefer GG as you are not tied to a single
computer.
Hmm. I can log into my ISP's NNTP secure server from any
computer,
My ISP does not provide a news feed.
A far too common situation these days. I fear that Usenet's days
are
numbered, at least as a service provided by most ISPs.

Then either cough up a few euros to news.individual.net or look around
for one of the free or inexpensive servers widely available

I don't have any euros to cough up (not too many dollars, either).

I did look around a little for a (free) news feed, but wasn't thrilled
with what I readily found.

The only limitation with my free feed is a maximum of cross-posting to 6
newsgroups.

Google is free. I don't have any particular problems with them (quite
the contrary, in fact).
[...]

Google shuts down accounts for a period of several hours if one sends
too many posts. This makes it hard to participate in extended discussions.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If my posts in general annoy or offend, please kill-file.