Beware of Lone Peak Packs Non-Warranty

Old December 6th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Beware of Lone Peak Packs Non-Warranty

Still Just Me wrote:

Of course, I do have to note that Japanese Auto Manufacturers, a
shining example of TQM, have adopted American styles of "warranty
management" over the last few years.

Yeah, I had a Honda CR-V where the way they solved a problem with the
cruise control was explain that they were aware of the issue, explain
that it was occurring due to "limited vacuum availability," and then
explain that they had no plans to fix it. Some owners did figure out a
way to fix the problem themselves, using a larger vacuum canister from
Ford. That soured me on Hondas. I don't care that there was a problem
but the attitude of "we acknowledge it but we're not going to fix it"
was unacceptable.
Old December 6th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
news.suddenlink.net

"SMS" wrote in message
I have a two year old Lone Peak RP700 rack trunk where one of the four
attachment straps came off. It wasn't abused or anything, my wife was
pulling the strap tight though the buckle, and the sewn on strap just came
off the rack trunk where it's sewn on. The rack trunk has probably only
been used about 20 days in the last two years.

No problem I thought, It has a lifetime warranty, so I packed it up and
sent it off to Lone Peak for repair, complete with a copy of the receipt
(even though no receipt is really necessary since it's a lifetime
warranty). Today I get a call from Lone Peak that the repair is not
covered by the warranty, and that the strap must have been caught in a
spoke or something to come off like that (it wasn't). Since it's an
expensive pack, I reluctantly agreed to pay for the repair and return
shipping.

So just be aware that Lone Peak Packs doesn't honor their wonderful
warranty. If you're feeling good about spending more to buy a made in the
U.S.A. product, partly because you think that there's a company that will
stand behind the product, think again. I really liked the RP700 because it
was the only rack trunk I found that didn't use Velcro straps to hold it
on, they use buckles, and I own two of them.

So stupid. For $12.50 they've alienated a customer that has bought several
of their rather expensive products Next time I'll go to Performance and
buy the Performance house brand. At least with Velcro I can repair it
myself when the Velcro wears out.

I was planning on buying at least Lone Peak pack for next year, but will not
because of your post.

Old December 6th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 09:18:11 -0800, Andre Jute wrote:
snip

Are you familiar with the work of John Rawls? At the most basic, Rawls
posits two parties and a cake behind a curtain. One party goes behind
the curtain and may cut the cake any way he pleases. The other party
then goes behind the curtain and chooses his cut of the cake, so that
the cutter must take what is left. Clearly The Veil of Ignorance (the
title of Rawls's groundbreaking book, IIRC)

The title is A Theory of Justice. Judging by your mis-characterization of
the veil of ignorance, I take it you've never read it.

is an incentive to a fair
division of the cake. In this case Scarfie has pulled aside the veil of
ignorance behind which Lone Peak would have preferred to work; and Lone
Peak screwed themselves by not considering whether the guy on the other
side of the curtain could or would retaliate.

Andre Jute
A bowl of water, quickly now, so I can do my Pilate act

Old December 6th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Woland99 wrote:

100% correct. It is silly to argue about $12 and lose hundreds.
I had really good experience with Kurt Kinetic sending me another
resistance unit for their wind trainer. No questions - once they
determined that I am using it correctly and that old unit is very
likely out of balance they sent me one within a week.
So later when I had a chance to buy their fluid trainer on sale
I did not hesitate. Small investement in customer service bought
them loyal customer.

I thought of asking the guy that called me, "are you _sure_ you want to
charge me for this repair?" Then I figured that saying that would just
antagonize him, and I didn't want it to appear as if I was making any
kinds of threats or anything. If I said "I'm gonna tell Usenet on you"
that wouldn't have solved anything.

Ironically, I used to be a big promoter of this particular Lone Peak
product, see "http://tinyurl.com/6ysysn", where someone was looking for
a Velcro-free rear rack bag. I even show the bag on one of my web sites,
see "http://nordicgroup.us/s78/batteries.html" where I praise it (this
is my older one, not the one that broke). I guess I have to update that
page now!

Old December 6th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
ZBicyclist

Default Another Lifetime Non-Warranty

Tim McNamara wrote:

Most likely REI just eats the cost and sells the item for pennies
on
the dollar at the monthly "scratch and dent" sale. REI has a
"100%
satisfaction" policy.

That's my guess as well. If you are careful, you can pick up some
real bargains at these REI sales.

Old December 6th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
peter

On Dec 5, 9:03*pm, "ZBicyclist" wrote:
Tim McNamara wrote:
Most likely REI just eats the cost and sells the item for pennies
on
the dollar at the monthly "scratch and dent" sale. *REI has a
"100%
satisfaction" policy.

That's my guess as well. *If you are careful, you can pick up some
real bargains at these REI sales.

Yup. Picked up some nice hiking boots that way. They'd been worn
once (indoors) and were marked down 99.5%.
Old December 6th 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

I'm running
Bontrager Race XXX-lite clinchers, and presently have something
like
18-20k miles on them, and have literally not touched them with a
spoke
wrench.

... and...

The Bonty X-lites that came on my Klein have every bit of 30,000
miles on
'em, and I haven't touched a thing, either.

Are these the same wheels? Which is it: "18-20k" or "every bit of
30,000" miles.

Bill's got a pair of Bontrager Race X-Lites, while I was talking about
the Race XXX-Lites I ride. Similar hubs, same number of spokes, but the
XXX-Lites use a carbon-fiber rim while the X-Lite is aluminum. And about
1/3rd the cost.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old December 6th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Bill Sornson wrote:
[...]
Then there are my Crossmax XL mtb wheels. Worst bike-related purchase ever.
(Screaming/vibrating rear hub sends a tingle up my leg to rival Chris
Matthews'.)[...]

Family newsgroup, buddy.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old December 6th 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...] A major issue is that nobody knows how long a wheel is supposed to
last anymore.[...]

For rim braked bicycle use, the hubs and spokes should last through many
rims, and the rims should be replaced because of brake track wear, not
cracking of the spoke bed - correct?

Old December 6th 08, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

André Jute wrote:
[...]
I couldn't care less if you questioned Scarfie's integrity; my point
was only that I don't, not on any gentlemanly principle but because
judging character is my business (I'm a novelist). There are a lot of
people of very doubtful integrity on RBT, starting with the dishonest
political rationalizations of the wannabe pinkos, but such
dishonesties are very selective. I don't imagine the same people would
steal money. No one is perfectly honest when his self-image is at
risk.[...]

Thanks for the unintentional humor.