How to **** Off an Arrogant Pedalcyclist

Old May 16th 05, 03:11 PM
Jim Yanik

Arif Khokar wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:

Arif Khokar wrote:

Pedestrians, unlike vehicles, don't follow rules of
the road or stay within "lanes" on a sidewalk. This is why you can't
have someone moving 20 mph amongst those walking 3 mph.

But it's somehow OK to have a slow bicycle among faster moving autos

Cyclists stay within lane markings, pedestrians do not. There's a
reason why it's advised to walk on the left side of the road facing
traffic instead of away from traffic.

cyclists still make left turns.the do not always stay on one's right.

Besides, you're free to move over to the next lane, or half-way over the
center line to pass a cyclist. That's what I do whenever I encounter a
cyclist while driving.

IF there is a "next" lane.
IF opposing traffic allows such a move.
If traffic is high enough,as here in Orlando,then that is not an option.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old May 16th 05, 03:42 PM
Pat Lamb

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
\ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 /
\ 1 9 / /
\ 0 / 10 /
\ TROLL-O-METER / /
\ / /
\ / /
\_____________________/____/
\ /
\....................../

Congratulations, Guy, this is one of the very few pieces of ASCII art
that seems to work on usenet.

Oh, and I agree with the meter reading. Is there intelligent life in
this thread??
Old May 16th 05, 03:55 PM
Jeff Starr

On Mon, 16 May 2005 06:38:17 -0700, Scott en Aztlán
wrote:

FWIW, I don't like people who park intentionally in multiple parking spaces
(I keep a little container of baby shampoo in my car that I occasionally
apply to their windshields in protest). But, there's a large leap between
not liking something and embracing you inner curmudgeon with a dumbass
little website devoted to the things you "hate".

Now THAT is hilarious!

You think vandalism is OK, but a harmless little website is a
horrible, terrible, awful thing?

You pedalcyclists crack me up!!!

He keeps the shampoo in his CAR. That has nothing to do with being a
"pedalcyclist".
I thought you claimed to ride a bicycle, so I guess that makes you a
"pedalcyclist" too. But of course you are nothing like those of us who
post on rec.bicycle.misc. Apparently you are above us, somehow. So
very superior.

I personally think you put way too much effort into the petty little
occurrences that are a part of everyday life.

I do have one pet peeve, these days. It is inconsiderate people on
cell phones. Whether it be in cars, stores, or walking along on the
sidewalk. It is distracting enough, that people become at a minimum
inconsiderate and at worst dangerous. Maybe you should post a picture
of your wife, being distracted and therefore inconsiderate.

Gary, dumping anything on peoples cars is just plain wrong, and an
over reaction. If it bothers you that much, leave a note. Maybe they
are just dumb, not intentionally inconsiderate. Try to educate them,
take the positive route.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Old May 16th 05, 04:02 PM
Brent P

In article , Jim Yanik wrote:

cyclists still make left turns.the do not always stay on one's right.

Oh heaven forbid. I make my left turns faster than the majority of
drivers. In fact, if I am behind someone driving a car there is a ~90%
that driver will slow me down in making the turn. But a few drivers see
someone on a bicycle and automatically go into a rage. They are upset
because I'm ahead of them. I am practically tailgating the car in front
of me given that bicycles don't have the greatest brakes in the world
(but small enough that I can go left or right to avoid a collison) and
yet somehow, the delay I am stuck with because of the sloth driver(s) in
front of me is somehow now my fault.

Just a little over a week ago, I ended up with two drivers that were
****ed off at me. In the first case, a woman driving a car in front of me
was on a cellphone and dillydallied getting going on the green. Thusly
the light was yellow when she reached, where she then stopped, and
changed her mind and made a right on red. Of course I was stuck for
another cycle. The woman behind me blamed me for this. If I had just
gutter passed I would have been through the light and gone, but then the
bicycle haters would complain about having to pass me back later. Nothing is
good enough for a bicycle hater. Later down the road I am stuck behind
this huge SUV at a traffic light when this dumb ass tries to pull along
side me. (I'm in the middle of the lane waiting my turn, speed of traffic
is STOPPED) The light changes and we start moving. I pass (on the left) the
sloth accelerating SUV as it tried to turn right to get away from the
moron who goes to the left lane to also get around the SUV. As I return
to the right he passes me. Soon after I catch up to the asshat who is now
holding up other traffic with his sloth. I yell for him to accelerate,
and guess who's nearby, the lady who was the first driver, who I last
saw about 2 miles earlier. Yeah. I'm slow. I make the same time as anyone
who's driving around here. It takes me the same time (and often less) to
bike to work than to drive.

Old May 16th 05, 04:06 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 16 May 2005 09:42:51 -0500, Pat Lamb
wrote:

Congratulations, Guy, this is one of the very few pieces of ASCII art
that seems to work on usenet.

Shamelessly stolen from somewhere else, so I can't claim the credit -
but it has a certain validity in context, I think :-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound
Old May 16th 05, 04:15 PM
Matthew

Scott en Aztlán wrote in message
On 15 May 2005 17:25:25 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
My wife saw an unusual type of plant which she
thought might look good in our back yard, so I took some pictures

of
it for her. Then these two chumps brushed by on their bicycles,

so I
snapped them, too.

Yeah. Right. I believe you. Really.

http://tinypic.com/546hp0

If you can identify it, please let me know.

Perhaps Hesperaloe parviflora (Red yucca). Widely cultivated in the
Southwest USA. Suprisingly hardy; I understand it has been
successfully planted even in the higher elevations of Colorado.

Matthew

Old May 16th 05, 04:51 PM
GaryG

wrote:

[...]

FWIW, I've only used it on a couple of occasions, on vehicles that were very
obviously cross-parked intentionally in crowded lots (i.e., not on cars a
bit over the line, or cars cross-parked where there's plenty of spaces
available). With those folks, it's not an issue of education, but behavior
modification. I only apply about a teaspoon of shampoo, squirted onto the
windshield. Presumably the cross-parker will notice it when they get back
to their car, turn on their windshield wipers, and then have a moment of
karmic irritation as they have to deal with it foaming up. The shampoo
container fits easily in my pocket, and it's a much quicker and more
assertive form of "speech" than writing a note (which would probably be
laughed off and thrown on the ground anyway).

GG

Life is Good!
Jeff

Old May 16th 05, 04:55 PM
GaryG

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 May 2005 22:55:33 -0700, "GaryG"
wrote:

It is a negative site, with little to nothing to offer in a positive

way.

Some people find it amusing, as it reflects their own pet peeves. I
suppose those from the "just let them do it" crowd might not
understand this, however.

FWIW, I don't like people who park intentionally in multiple parking

spaces
(I keep a little container of baby shampoo in my car that I occasionally
apply to their windshields in protest). But, there's a large leap

between
not liking something and embracing you inner curmudgeon with a dumbass
little website devoted to the things you "hate".

Now THAT is hilarious!

You think vandalism is OK, but a harmless little website is a
horrible, terrible, awful thing?

Vandalism? A teaspoon of shampoo on a windshield? I don't think so.
Nothing is destroyed or damaged on their car, and a couple of squirts of
water will remove it.

FWIW, I never said your little website is a "horrible, terrible, awful
thing". But, it is pointless and just a way for you to vent your
frustrations, without actually doing anything about them.

You pedalcyclists crack me up!!!

You silly trolls crack me up too!

GG

--
Life is short - drive fast!
http://www.geocities.com/scottenaztlan/

Old May 16th 05, 04:59 PM
John David Galt

Bicycles ridden by adults go too fast to safely mix with pedestrians
on a sidewalk. Pedestrians, unlike vehicles, don't follow rules of
the road or stay within "lanes" on a sidewalk. This is why you can't
have someone moving 20 mph amongst those walking 3 mph.

That merely means that a bicyclist on the sidewalk must slow to walking
speed when he approaches a pedestrian

No, it means that the cyclist can either ride at his own pace on the
road, or he can walk his bicycle while on the sidewalk.

You're wrong. There is no such law.

-- just as cars are forced to slow
to bike speed when a bicyclist "takes" the right lane on a narrow street.

Since when do cars have to slow down?

I specified a narrow street. That implies not enough room to pass the
bike in the right lane.

If the cyclist is in the right
lane, the car can easily pass in the left lane without having to slow down.

Only if there's almost no traffic, which NEVER happens around here
(unless it's 2 AM, and not even the eco-freaks bike at that hour).

The key difference between cyclists vs. pedestrians and cars vs.
cyclists is that the latter two are restricted by rules of the road.
Each of them must remain within lane markings and they are supposed to
signal when changing lanes or direction.

EVERYONE is restricted by rules of the road when on the road. In some
places those rules give pedestrians extra privilege.

Pedestrians on a sidewalk do not have to stay within a "lane" on the
sidewalk, and they are not required to signal before changing direction.

That difference is why cars going 20 to 40 mph faster than cyclists is
safe (assuming separate lanes, of course), but cyclists going 15 mph
faster than pedestrians is unsafe.

True, but only when you're within 10 feet or so of the pedestrians.
Old May 16th 05, 05:02 PM
John David Galt

Brent P wrote:
Then you should have the cement mixers and other slow motor vehicles use
the sidewalk too.

I certainly expect them to pull over and let me pass at the first
opportunity. There is nothing wrong with expecting the same of bike
riders. And unlike cement mixers, they have that opportunity
continuously if a sidewalk is present.