30km ride on 29" and 36"

Old March 24th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
legtod2

Default 30km ride on 29" and 36"

Today I did a 30km ride with my 29" and 36".

To begin with I packed my two trusty steeds into the van and drove in
search of interesting places to ride.

I began with my 29" on the bike trail, it was still under 3ft of snow,
hard packed and froozen from water and freezing rain mixture. The trail
was full of snow drifts that had froozen solid, so it was like an
amusment ride up and down.
The kenda claw gripped the snow and ice and easily floated over the
landscape. I ventured onto some hillsides and places where kids had
been sliding down the hill. I managed to ride sidways to the hill. Then
I climbed the huge snow banks and drove along on top of them. Man my
29" took me everywere. After 20km, I rode on the side of the road and
sidewalk. On bare road and sidewalk I noticed more rolling resistance
then on my 36". This I believe is primarily due the knobby tire design
of the kenda claw tire and the lower tire presure. Its that lower tire
presure that really helped grip the ice and snow. Back to the van and
try out the N36 Nightrider pro.

Immediately the heavier weight of the N36 vs Bedford 29 caused the 36
to sink occassionally thru the surface of the snow. Also freemounting
on slippery snow/ice was more of a challenge on the 36 whereas the 29
was a no brainer. Time to point the N36 to non snow/ice covered
surfaces.

Now I got the N36 on hilly cross country terrain. Lets try out some
hills.
Man it goes up the gradual hill no problems. The new Nightrider tire
rolls much better on this terrain vs the Kenda Klaw. I look down at my
vetta and I'm going 13km uphill. This is better then my average speed
on my 29".

After my last 10km on my N36, I decide to pack both uni's away.

It's nice to go on a ride and use two uni's.

One is great at off roading and playing in the snow. The other is a
speed deamon/commuter.

If I had a geared 29" there would be no need to have a 36.

--
legtod2

Terry Fox & Trish Crandall...
my inspiration in life.
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 26th 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

legtod2 wrote:

If I had a geared 29" there would be no need to have a 36.

False!

The 36er is better at some things than the geared 29er. On bumpy
surfaces, the 36er rolls a lot smoother and more controlled than a guni
in high gear. It also takes less effort mentally to ride the 36er, so
it makes a nice commuter and touring unicycle.

The geared 29er is probably the most versatile unicycle though, and I
guess technically you wouldn't -need- a 36er, but I would never give up
my 36er even with the guni! With that said though, when I am traveling
this summer I am only bringing my 29" guni because it will be more
compact and more versatile than a 36er.

I also have an ungeared 29er that I love. It is lighter than the
geared 29er and I took it out on the trail last weekend and it was a
blast. The Kenda Navegal tire is by far the best offroad 29er tire I
have tried.

I have done a unicycle tour on the 36, but not the geared 29er yet.
Once I do my Pittsburgh to DC ride in a month I will find out how nice
the guni is for touring.

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland

James = my name
'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 26th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
legtod2

I don't have a guni, so I can't provide a point of comparison.

Perhaps I need more riding time in the saddle of a 36" to remove my
biased opinion. So far I only have 50km logged on the 36" and over
600kms on 29.

Thus far I still see the 29 as the better well rounded unicycle
(compared to the 36). This is because the 29" fits my daily needs
better then the 36".

My needs a
Commute to and from work (20 - 25km /day, with interesting side trips
along way).
Easily transportable on my Goldwing Motorcycle.
Can off road and perform moderate distances commutes.
Can learn tricks easily
On occassion commute greater than 50km off road trails.
Special need for Uni for RTL (non-geared 29" too slow for average
speed)

--
legtod2

Terry Fox & Trish Crandall...