Helmets and public bike-sharing success

Old October 2nd 12, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Default Helmets and public bike-sharing success

Jay Beattie wrote:
On Oct 1, 11:10 am, Frank
wrote:
gpsman wrote:
On Sep 30, 2:02 pm, wrote:

Mr. De Jong, who grew up in the Netherlands, observes of Amsterdam: “Nobody wears helmets, and bicycling is regarded as a completely normal, safe activity. You never hear that ‘helmet saved my life’ thing.”

As one commenter pointed out, in Yurrup, bicycles have been provided
for because bicycling is has been common there for decades; speed
limits are lower and actually enforced, and a far greater proportion
of motorists also cycle.

It's true that there's far more utility cycling in Europe. But the
impression many Americans have regarding "bicycles have been provided
for" is a bit exaggerated, in my experience. There are places (like old
central Stockholm, for instance) with things like bike lanes and
separate traffic lights for cyclists. But most roads in most countries
are just ordinary roads, most city and village streets are just ordinary
streets. People ride on them just fine.

Lower speed limits certainly help. The general acceptance of
bicyclists, and the harsher liability laws on motorists probably help
much more. I think those things are far more important than, say,
separate traffic lights (which impose delays on both motorists and
cyclists).

If an adult chooses to observe oblivious US motorists, then chooses to
hop into that ocean of stupidity on a bike, there couldn't be much to
be protected by a helmet.

Oh? "There couldn't be much to be protected" if a person omits a
"safety" device that is certified to protect only a decapitated head in
only a perfectly linear (non-rotational) 14 mph impact with only a
smooth surface? "There couldn't be much to be protected" if someone
omits a "safety" device that hasn't achieved demonstrated benefit?

For an opinion informed by actual data, seehttp://www.cycle-helmets.com/boardman.pdf

If you want to improve conditions for cyclists, it might be sensible to
address things that actually make a difference. And stop portraying
cycling as excessively dangerous.

Keep in mind there are many MILLIONS of miles cycled between U.S.
cycling fatalities, even with America's generally low level of cycling
competence. If you subtract the unlit night cyclists, the drunk
cyclists, the wrong-way riders, the stop sign crashers, etc., cycling is
about twice as safe. No special hat is needed.

--
- Frank Krygowski

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/equipme...oC_helmet.html

Even Boardman wears a helmet in the rain, off road and on twisting
descents -- so should I wear my helmet intermittently as I oscillate
through those activities?

I'd say it's up to you. Let's hope the legislators continue to agree,
now that your quasi-advocacy organization says it will no longer resist
adult helmet laws.

During the fall/winter/spring, I can do all
those things on my way home from work (snow and ice, too). It's hard
for me to think of bicyling as more safe than gardening/knitting/
showering (whatever innocuous activity you want to compare it) when I
am looking at months of riding in the rain -- much of that on deep
leaves and blow down -- in the dark with traffic.

I understand. Really, it's hard for a lot of people to think of
bicycling as safe at all.

To me, though, the best comparison is probably to walking (and perhaps
jogging, I suppose) for transportation. That's the activity most
parallel to cycling, I think, except with something like three times the
fatalities per mile, mostly from brain injuries. Yet hardly any
helmets! ;-)

Hmm. As I recall, Portland is the site of occasional ice storms. Do
the pedestrian helmets come out then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCoxOReXlHI

P.S. -- for now it is golorious in PDX. One of the longest dry spells
in history.

It's been very nice around here, too. Slightly cool, just enough to
pleasantly reduce my sweating.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 2nd 12, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Oct 1, 6:41 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:
On Oct 1, 11:10 am, Frank
wrote:
gpsman wrote:
On Sep 30, 2:02 pm, wrote:

[...]

Where did "things like bike lanes and separate traffic lights" come
ointo this discussion?

Lower speed limits certainly help. The general acceptance of
bicyclists, and the harsher liability laws on motorists probably help
much more. I think those things are far more important than, say,
separate traffic lights (which impose delays on both motorists and
cyclists).

General acceptance is the main problem in the USA.

[...]

And that bothersome low level of "general acceptance".

If you subtract the unlit night cyclists, the drunk
cyclists, the wrong-way riders, the stop sign crashers, etc., cycling is
about twice as safe. No special hat is needed.

Or shoes.

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/equipme...oC_helmet.html

Even Boardman wears a helmet in the rain, off road and on twisting
descents -- so should I wear my helmet intermittently as I oscillate
through those activities?

I'd say it's up to you. Let's hope the legislators continue to agree,
now that your quasi-advocacy organization says it will no longer resist
adult helmet laws.

During the fall/winter/spring, I can do all
those things on my way home from work (snow and ice, too). It's hard
for me to think of bicyling as more safe than gardening/knitting/
showering (whatever innocuous activity you want to compare it) when I
am looking at months of riding in the rain -- much of that on deep
leaves and blow down -- in the dark with traffic.

I understand. Really, it's hard for a lot of people to think of
bicycling as safe at all.

There's that word "safe" again...

To me, though, the best comparison is probably to walking (and perhaps
jogging, I suppose) for transportation.

No comparison for me; Ride Bike! is *way* more fun.

That's the activity most
parallel to cycling...

Unless the "cycling" is undertaken in a Ride Bike! manner to maximize
fun.

..., I think, except with something like three times the
fatalities per mile, mostly from brain injuries. Yet hardly any
helmets! ;-)

Hmm. As I recall, Portland is the site of occasional ice storms. Do
the pedestrian helmets come out then?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCoxOReXlHI

P.S. -- for now it is golorious in PDX. One of the longest dry spells
in history.

It's been very nice around here, too. Slightly cool, just enough to
pleasantly reduce my sweating.

Enjoy :-)

(Personally, if I'm going toi sweat at all, I'd just as soon be soaked
with it.)
Old October 2nd 12, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Oct 1, 7:39 pm, Dan O wrote:
On Oct 1, 6:41 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:

snip

P.S. -- for now it is golorious in PDX. One of the longest dry spells
in history.

It's been very nice around here, too. Slightly cool, just enough to
pleasantly reduce my sweating.

Enjoy :-)

(Personally, if I'm going toi sweat at all, I'd just as soon be soaked
with it.)

Yikes!:

..TUESDAY NIGHT...CLEAR...COLDER. LOWS 35 TO 40.

Smart Bike Sharing Bret Cahill[_2_] UK 0 June 3rd 12 08:44 AM
Bike sharing scheme hits the Big Apple Simon Mason[_4_] UK 0 September 15th 11 06:26 PM
Segway sharing bike lanes! Proposed law in NY dgk General 20 August 18th 07 09:46 AM
End of Bike Week success JohnB UK 1 June 20th 05 08:51 AM
REX and Bike Success!! casurina99 Australia 0 February 1st 05 01:05 AM