front derailleur problems

Old August 17th 05, 02:58 PM
Alison Gardner

Default front derailleur problems

To say I am a novice to bike building, well putting components on a pre-
existing frame, is an understatement, in fact I have never even fixed a
bicycle before now. Well I bought recently a Bob Jackson road frame and
have kitted it out in an Ultegra groupset. As I have owned and ridden bikes
for many years most was pretty straightforward, I guessed I would have
difficulty with the derailleurs esp. the rear, as I have certainly never
messed about with STIs before. Well I have managed to sort out the rear
one, quite quickly considering I never done it before, but the front is
causing a few headaches for me. It goes into gear top and bottom but when
it goes down into the smaller chain wheel it clunks loudly. I am unable to
stop this clunk no matter what I adjust. Can anyone help?
Old August 17th 05, 03:07 PM
Brian G

Alison Gardner wrote:
To say I am a novice to bike building, well putting components on a pre-
existing frame, is an understatement, in fact I have never even fixed a
bicycle before now. Well I bought recently a Bob Jackson road frame and
have kitted it out in an Ultegra groupset. As I have owned and ridden bikes
for many years most was pretty straightforward, I guessed I would have
difficulty with the derailleurs esp. the rear, as I have certainly never
messed about with STIs before. Well I have managed to sort out the rear
one, quite quickly considering I never done it before, but the front is
causing a few headaches for me. It goes into gear top and bottom but when
it goes down into the smaller chain wheel it clunks loudly. I am unable to
stop this clunk no matter what I adjust. Can anyone help?

What clunks loudly? If you run the pedals slowly backwards can you see
the chain striking anything? Does the cage foul the chainring? If it's
all fitted correctly, any "clunking" noises are probably caused by the
mech being at the wrong height or more likely slightly off parallel to
the chainrings.

--
Brian G
Old August 17th 05, 03:20 PM
Tony Raven

Alison Gardner wrote:
To say I am a novice to bike building, well putting components on a pre-
existing frame, is an understatement, in fact I have never even fixed a
bicycle before now. Well I bought recently a Bob Jackson road frame and
have kitted it out in an Ultegra groupset. As I have owned and ridden bikes
for many years most was pretty straightforward, I guessed I would have
difficulty with the derailleurs esp. the rear, as I have certainly never
messed about with STIs before. Well I have managed to sort out the rear
one, quite quickly considering I never done it before, but the front is
causing a few headaches for me. It goes into gear top and bottom but when
it goes down into the smaller chain wheel it clunks loudly. I am unable to
stop this clunk no matter what I adjust. Can anyone help?

Either follow the Shimano fitting and setting up instructions, which I
have never had fail, or AASHTA at
http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

--
Tony

Anon
Old August 18th 05, 08:50 AM
Pat and Bob Chambers

There used to be a site with Barnett's Manual Chapter files. Barnett's
method is a carefully thought out, step by step method, with tests to prove
its correctly set, which I've found excellent. Contact me if you want a
copy of the rear derailleur chapter See also:
http://tinyurl.com/7ptkp for the front derailluer Chapter
Bob C

Old August 18th 05, 09:10 AM
Martin Bulmer

Alison Gardner wrote:
To say I am a novice to bike building, well putting components on a
pre- existing frame, is an understatement, in fact I have never even
fixed a bicycle before now. Well I bought recently a Bob Jackson road
frame and have kitted it out in an Ultegra groupset. As I have owned
and ridden bikes for many years most was pretty straightforward, I
guessed I would have difficulty with the derailleurs esp. the rear,
as I have certainly never messed about with STIs before. Well I have
managed to sort out the rear one, quite quickly considering I never
done it before, but the front is causing a few headaches for me. It
goes into gear top and bottom but when it goes down into the smaller
chain wheel it clunks loudly. I am unable to stop this clunk no
matter what I adjust. Can anyone help?

Is it the cage hitting the frame?
--

Martin Bulmer