Garmin Edge 305 Cyclometer

Old January 29th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Garmin Edge 305 Cyclometer

Has anyone actually seen the new Garmin cyclometers? I'm a bit of a
GPS/data junkie and have been waiting for something like this for
years, if only to reduce the clutter on my handlebars

http://www.garmin.com/products/edge305/

It looks like someone did their homework at Garmin, but it is a bit
pricey, and I'd rather have it run on user-installable batteries, but
hey, if it works...

I'm sure it is a little early to get a user report, but it apears to
use the same PC software as the fore runner models, so any opinions of
that would be helpful as well. I like the idea of integrating workout
data with terrain details and maps, but I'm sure I'll drive myself
crazy over-analyzing data...

Old January 29th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Eric" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone actually seen the new Garmin cyclometers? I'm a bit of a
GPS/data junkie and have been waiting for something like this for
years, if only to reduce the clutter on my handlebars

http://www.garmin.com/products/edge305/

It looks like someone did their homework at Garmin, but it is a bit
pricey, and I'd rather have it run on user-installable batteries, but
hey, if it works...

I'm sure it is a little early to get a user report, but it apears to
use the same PC software as the fore runner models, so any opinions of
that would be helpful as well. I like the idea of integrating workout
data with terrain details and maps, but I'm sure I'll drive myself
crazy over-analyzing data...

Try this link:
http://www.bollar.org/edge305.htm

Old January 29th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Eric wrote:
Has anyone actually seen the new Garmin cyclometers? I'm a bit of a
GPS/data junkie and have been waiting for something like this for
years, if only to reduce the clutter on my handlebars

http://www.garmin.com/products/edge305/

It looks like someone did their homework at Garmin, but it is a bit
pricey, and I'd rather have it run on user-installable batteries, but
hey, if it works...

I'm sure it is a little early to get a user report, but it apears to
use the same PC software as the fore runner models, so any opinions of
that would be helpful as well. I like the idea of integrating workout
data with terrain details and maps, but I'm sure I'll drive myself
crazy over-analyzing data...

Hmm.... Nice looking unit. Cheaper MSRP than the HAC4 to boot! I too
was looking (but not very diligently) for something like this. Thanks
for bringing it to our attention.

Old January 30th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

damyth wrote:
Eric wrote:
[...]

If you like the Edge, you'll want to visit http://www.motionbased.com/
and http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/ -- both products are
able to download Edge 305 data for further analysis and display on
various types of maps. There is also further discussion of the Edge on
the forums at both sites.

Old January 30th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Has anyone actually seen the new Garmin cyclometers? I'm a bit of a
GPS/data junkie and have been waiting for something like this for
years, if only to reduce the clutter on my handlebars

http://www.garmin.com/products/edge305/

It looks like someone did their homework at Garmin, but it is a bit
pricey, and I'd rather have it run on user-installable batteries, but
hey, if it works...

I'm sure it is a little early to get a user report, but it apears to
use the same PC software as the fore runner models, so any opinions of
that would be helpful as well. I like the idea of integrating workout
data with terrain details and maps, but I'm sure I'll drive myself
crazy over-analyzing data...

The Garmin is likely to be the "killer app" in bike computers. We've ordered
a boatload of 'em; they're supposed to begin arriving in about two weeks.
But don't expect to see any killer deals on them. There is virtually *no*
money being made by the dealer on these gadgets. Garmin is extremely
unfriendly to anybody buying in amounts smaller than $25k, explaining to
dealers that "That's the way it is in the electronics business."

I'll be getting one the second they hit the shop, and I'll definitely report
my findings here.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old January 30th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

I've been trying to figure out if the 305 gives a grade %. I downloaded the
instructions but it is still not clear if the current grade is available. Anyone
know?

Old January 30th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Neal wrote:
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
The Garmin is likely to be the "killer app" in bike computers. We've ordered a
boatload of 'em; they're supposed to begin arriving in about two weeks. But
don't expect to see any killer deals on them. There is virtually *no* money
being made by the dealer on these gadgets. Garmin is extremely unfriendly to
anybody buying in amounts smaller than $25k, explaining to dealers that
"That's the way it is in the electronics business."

I'll be getting one the second they hit the shop, and I'll definitely report
my findings here.

I've been trying to figure out if the 305 gives a grade %. I downloaded the
instructions but it is still not clear if the current grade is available. Anyone
know?

Page 65 of the owner's manual shows Grade % as one of the Data Fields
for both the 205 and 305.

I've been using Garmin GPS receivers for almost 7 years instead of a
cyclometer and can't see switching to one of these devices that won't
show me where I am on a map.

Old February 1st 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Garmin seems to keep a premium price on thier products, but it is
mostly deserved. I had a Magellan GPS years ago and they weren't even
close to the equivalant Gamin unit. Since then I haven't considered
anything else.

Old February 1st 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

the unit does not track speed and speed derivitives via satellite data
but regular old ground data-is that correct?