Unicycle For Diabetes

Old May 6th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Unicycle For Diabetes

Once again I will be Unicycling 30 Miles in the American Diabetes
Association's Tour de Cure fund-raising event scheduled for June 10.
The Tour de Cure is a team effort that for success requires not only my
participation but yours as well. I'll sacrifice my time and muscle with
the hope that you'll sacrifice a few dollars to support this wonderful
organization.

Please support me with a donation by visiting my personal page and
selecting the "Click Here to Sponsor Me" button.

http://tinyurl.com/g3ms5

Together our efforts will help set the pace in the fight against
diabetes. NO DONATION IS TOO SMALL!

More information on the American Diabetes Association, its programs,
and diabetes in general can be found at the Association's Web site,
http://www.diabetes.org. To find out more information on our Tour de
Cure, please visit http://tour.diabetes.org.

Whatever you can give will help! I greatly appreciate your support and
will keep you posted on my progress. Riding the unicycle 30-miles is
the hard part, supporting me is easy!

--
unipsychler

Interested in learning to ride the unicycle QUICKLY AND SAFELY? Or how
about getting one of the coolest uni t-shirts around? Check out my
website at www.ridetheunicycle.com
unipsychler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9338

Old May 16th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dpapciak

Wow, and I thought I was the first to do the Tour de Cure on a unicycle.
I'll be attempting to do 31 miles this year. This will be my third
year doing the event on a unicycle. We will have several other
unicyclists (6 I think) participating in the Atlanta Tour de Cure on
Sunday.

Are there any other unicyclists doing the Tour de Cure this year. Do
any of you ride with an amateur / HAM radio?

Below is my shameless solicitation for donations to the American
Diabetes Association:

Friends,

Once a year I shamelessly solicit donations for the American Diabetes
Association Tour de Cure fundraiser. Donations are tax deductible. I
also like to remind you to take a diabetes risk test since your risks
rise significantly as you get older…and heavier.

Twenty one million American have diabetes. One out of 3 children born
after the year 2000 will get diabetes in their lifetimes. Over 6
million Americans and over a quarter million Georgians have diabetes
and don’t even know it yet.

I normally try to think of an off the wall way to get your attention
and encourage more awareness and bigger donations. Perhaps something
like doing the event on a unicycle. Let me know what ideas YOU have to
raise the bar on fundraising and awareness. I have already committed
to doing this year’s event on a unicycle even though I haven’t been on
my unicycle for a long, LONG time. And, of course, I will be riding
with a HAM radio this year.

Hey, donations are tax deductible and what else have you done that you
REALLY feel good about today.

Join my team or support me: http://main.diabetes.org/goto/doug
Risk Test:
http://www.diabetes.org/risk-test.jsp
Thank you for your support!

Doug

--
dpapciak
Old May 16th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dondi

I ride 5k and 10k runs because competing with the 2 wheelers, I would
come in hours after the last rider. What's your time ?

--
dondi
Old May 16th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dpapciak

Hello Dondi,

I guesstimate it will take us 6 hours or more to complete the 31 miles.
We leave in a different wave than the "normal" 50K cyclists. We'll
leave about an hour before them. The 50K riders will catch us but we
will probably finish in about the same time as the 100K riders. It
doesn't hurt to be on the Tour de Cure planning committee.

We attempted to do the MS 150 in Atlanta a couple years ago. I think
it was 75 miles each day. I was a newbie Cokerer back then. I talked
to the SAG vehicle driver. We decided when the last bicyclist in the
pack came through a SAG stop, the SAG Wagon would shuttle me to that
stop so I wouldn't hold up the volunteers. I ended up doing about 40
miles on each of the 2 days we rode.

I'm still not a great rider or mounter. But, I'll be trudging along on
my new purple nightrider pro 36" as long and as far as I can.

Doug, KI4VDU

--
dpapciak
Old May 16th 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
beeper

Wow, Thank you.

I just might make a donation.. I'll have to check it up with my
folks..

I appreciate this too much - my father died of a heart attack related
to type 1 diabetes.

Thank you again.

--
beeper

)-90'-UNISPIN-O

'SixSixOne' (SixSixOne.com)
Old May 16th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dpapciak

beeper,

You are welcome. It is because of comments like yours that I keep
doing the event every year. This is the only charity I raise funds
for. I am not a person with diabetes...YET.

Remember to take the risk test yourself. If it runs in your family you
have a higher risk. About 6 million Americans have it and don't know
it exposing them to a wide range of health risks.

On the lighter side, we shot a promo spot for this event on an Atlanta
Fox station this AM. They had a couple of us ride our munis on stage.
My buddy tried to do a hop or something and his body became one with
the floor on live TV. I can't wait to see it on Tivo.

There's a good chance there is a Tour de Cure near you. Let me know if
you want more info. I know a guy in Thousand Oaks, CA is doing it on a
uni. They have events in 40 states.

Wish me luck for the ride. This will be the furthest I have ridden
since I tore (and had surgically replaced) my ACL. On a UNI of
course.

Doug

--
dpapciak
Old May 18th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dpapciak

We did a short live TV promo for this event yesterday. My buddy did a
spectacular UPD right in the middle of it. Left the news anchor
speachless.

'Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orfi40gZD_w'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orfi40gZD_w)

Tomorrow is the event. Wahoo! Doug

--
dpapciak
Old May 18th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

dpapciak wrote:
We did a short live TV promo for this event yesterday. My buddy did a
spectacular UPD right in the middle of it. Left the news anchor
speachless.

'Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orfi40gZD_w'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orfi40gZD_w)

Tomorrow is the event. Wahoo! Doug

Haha... that is about the single most funny thing ive ever saw. Well,
that and 'this' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wneds1lKuJE)

haha.. Yeah, My friend is diabetic, i think i should do something for
some marathon thing we have in minnesota, they run it every year i
think. cool thing you got going, good luck

actually, friend*s* are diabetic, I have 2 friends. One is type 2, the
other (my closest friend) is type one, born with it, lives with it. Hes
a really cool guy haha... I wish he unicycled though

--
unibikeling

'Sixsixone.com - Great gear for all riding!' (http://sixsixone.com/)

Ducttape wrote:
Grrr! I think I may poo myself in Anger...

Old May 18th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dpapciak

hi guys,

the 31 mileswasnt as bad as i thought. out of the 5 36inchers i was by
far the slowest. the rest of the guys waited for me at the rest stops

--
dpapciak
Old May 18th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
1-wheeled-grape

well done! did you keep a total of how much you raised? its a good cause
too, both my nan and grandad have diabeties i think, dont know what
type though. hope you had fun!

--
1-wheeled-grape

Scott,

james is naming your unicycle a girls name replacement for girlfriends?