Rubbing noises when turning front wheel

Old December 7th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Zoul

Default Rubbing noises when turning front wheel

I have a new bike that still has less than 20 miles on it.

All of a sudden, it is now making rubbing noises as I turn the front wheel
from left to right. This noise sounds like rubber or plastic moving against
metal. It's coming from the steering column but I don't think it has to do
with cable housing material rubbing on the frame (as suggested as a
possibility by someone else) . Is that normal and will this work out as I
get this machine into usage?

Thanks.

Old December 7th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

Roger Zoul wrote:
I have a new bike that still has less than 20 miles on it.

All of a sudden, it is now making rubbing noises as I turn the front
wheel from left to right. This noise sounds like rubber or plastic
moving against metal. It's coming from the steering column but I
don't think it has to do with cable housing material rubbing on the
frame (as suggested as a possibility by someone else) . Is that
normal and will this work out as I get this machine into usage?

How about cable housing rubbing against cable housing? Get off the bike,
turn the wheel slowly and see what's rubbing! (I have a gift for the
obvious )

Also check the bar wrap, brake pad(s) (wheel flex), headset tightness, etc.

Bill "won't even ask about those measly 20 miles (get on it, man)" S.

Old December 7th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Zoul

Bill Sornson wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: I have a new bike that still has less than 20 miles on it.
:::
::: All of a sudden, it is now making rubbing noises as I turn the front
::: wheel from left to right. This noise sounds like rubber or plastic
::: moving against metal. It's coming from the steering column but I
::: don't think it has to do with cable housing material rubbing on the
::: frame (as suggested as a possibility by someone else) . Is that
::: normal and will this work out as I get this machine into usage?
::
:: How about cable housing rubbing against cable housing? Get off the
:: bike, turn the wheel slowly and see what's rubbing! (I have a gift
:: for the obvious )
::
:: Also check the bar wrap, brake pad(s) (wheel flex), headset
:: tightness, etc.
::
:: Bill "won't even ask about those measly 20 miles (get on it, man)" S.

I hear ya on the miles, really. And I'm itching, believe me. Sadly, 20
miles is probably a bit on the high side.

I'll check again on the rubbing....but it seems a bit mysterious...I think I
would have noticed if it had been one of the other things.

Old December 8th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman

I have used a mechanic's stethoscope to track down elusive noises on various
machines--not on a bicycle yet. You can place the probe against the general
area you think the noise may be coming from. If you hear it thru the
'scope, then move and see whether it gets louder. In just a few tries, you
will know exactly where it is coming from. Harbor Freight sells these for
just a few bux. On a bike, you may need someone to help you by turning the
fork/wheel while you hold the probe.

Old December 8th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Zoul

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message

:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: I have a new bike that still has less than 20 miles on
::: it.
:::
::: All of a sudden, it is now making rubbing noises as I
::: turn the front wheel from left to right. This noise
::: sounds like rubber or plastic moving against metal.
::: It's coming from the steering column but I don't think
::: it has to do with cable housing material rubbing on the
::: frame (as suggested as a possibility by someone else) .
::: Is that normal and will this work out as I get this
::: machine into usage?
::
:: How about cable housing rubbing against cable housing?
:: Get off the bike, turn the wheel slowly and see what's
:: rubbing! (I have a gift for the obvious )
::

I don't think it has anything to do with any housings. I've check them all.

:: Also check the bar wrap, brake pad(s) (wheel flex),
:: headset tightness, etc.

The bike has disc brakes, but I took the wheel off and I still hear the
rubbing.

I think it's coming from the headset, frankly. What can be done about that?

::
:: Bill "won't even ask about those measly 20 miles (get on
:: it, man)" S.

I don't like riding a noisy bike, though. Imagine doing 200 miles listening
to noise on very turn.

Old December 8th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Zoul

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in
message

:: I have used a mechanic's stethoscope to track down
:: elusive noises on various machines--not on a bicycle
:: yet. You can place the probe against the general area
:: you think the noise may be coming from. If you hear it
:: thru the 'scope, then move and see whether it gets
:: louder. In just a few tries, you will know exactly
:: where it is coming from. Harbor Freight sells these for
:: just a few bux. On a bike, you may need someone to help
:: you by turning the fork/wheel while you hold the probe.

That's an interesting idea. I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the
headset.

Old December 8th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dholland

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
I have a new bike that still has less than 20 miles on it.

All of a sudden, it is now making rubbing noises as I turn the front wheel
from left to right. This noise sounds like rubber or plastic moving
against
metal. It's coming from the steering column but I don't think it has to do
with cable housing material rubbing on the frame (as suggested as a
possibility by someone else) . Is that normal and will this work out as I
get this machine into usage?

Thanks.

Was this an eBay purchase? If not, take it back. I'm sure the dealer wants
you to have a mechanically sound/safe bike.

Old December 8th 06, 12:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Zoul

"dholland" wrote in message

:: "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
:: ...
::: I have a new bike that still has less than 20 miles on
::: it.
:::
::: All of a sudden, it is now making rubbing noises as I
::: turn the front wheel from left to right. This noise
::: sounds like rubber or plastic moving against
::: metal. It's coming from the steering column but I don't
::: think it has to do with cable housing material rubbing
::: on the frame (as suggested as a possibility by someone
::: else) . Is that normal and will this work out as I get
::: this machine into usage?
:::
::: Thanks.
::
:: Was this an eBay purchase? If not, take it back. I'm
:: sure the dealer wants you to have a mechanically
:: sound/safe bike.

No, it's a LBS purchase. I've taken it back twice since I got it for rubbing
disc brakes. I hate to sound like the boy who cries "wolf" at every minor
issue. This is one noisy bike, though.

But this isn't normal, right? Is one even supposed to notice a headset?

I've looked and looked and can't find anything else that may be cause the
noise. My ear says the sound it coming from somewhere along the headset.
I've tried grabbing the cables at various places to see if I could impact
the noise in some way, but that makes no difference.

Old December 8th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
"Leo Lichtman" wrote in
message

:: I have used a mechanic's stethoscope to track down
:: elusive noises on various machines--not on a bicycle
:: yet. You can place the probe against the general area
:: you think the noise may be coming from. If you hear it
:: thru the 'scope, then move and see whether it gets
:: louder. In just a few tries, you will know exactly
:: where it is coming from. Harbor Freight sells these for
:: just a few bux. On a bike, you may need someone to help
:: you by turning the fork/wheel while you hold the probe.

That's an interesting idea. I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the
headset.

Then repack the headset and see if it happens again.

Old December 8th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Zoul

"Bellsouth Ijit 2.0" wrote in message

:: "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
:: ...
::: "Leo Lichtman" wrote in
::: message
:::
::::: I have used a mechanic's stethoscope to track down
::::: elusive noises on various machines--not on a bicycle
::::: yet. You can place the probe against the general area
::::: you think the noise may be coming from. If you hear
::::: it thru the 'scope, then move and see whether it gets
::::: louder. In just a few tries, you will know exactly
::::: where it is coming from. Harbor Freight sells these
::::: for just a few bux. On a bike, you may need someone
::::: to help you by turning the fork/wheel while you hold
::::: the probe.
:::
::: That's an interesting idea. I'm pretty sure the noise
::: is coming from the headset.
:::
::
:: Then repack the headset and see if it happens again.

Sounds like a trip the LBS - new bike!