"healthy" Bike Seats

Old October 7th 08, 09:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

Default "healthy" Bike Seats

On Oct 6, 8:02*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 19:33:18 -0700 (PDT), Hank
wrote:

On Oct 6, 1:56*pm, still just me wrote:
On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 12:46:50 -0700 (PDT), Hank
wrote:

I read that Jesus Christ himself designed the B-17.

From the apocryphal Gospel of Thomas:

"Lo, may your smiths craft a fork of iron, with a crescent-moon
joining the tines
And gather your finest calf's hide, and apply two handsbreadths
across,
flat as the sea of Gallillee in calm winds.
Copper rivets shall be no sign of vanity,
but of the care a shepherd shows his flock."

That's strictly New Testament stuff. Bike seats go way back before
that. The earliest reference I found was "thou shall not seethe thy
seat in the oil of neatsfoot".

You're buying into the whole "Young Brooks" theory, that says Brooks
has only been around since the B-17, but the fossil record shows
otherwise, that they were making saddles for camels and elephants, and
they were stamped "Made in Brittania."

Dear Hank,

Some of the Dead Seat scrolls survive:
*http://www.brookssaddles.com/en/yesteryear/1899_cy.html

More can be found by going to the Brooks site and clicking on heritage
and then yesteryear-catalogue-collection:
*http://www.brookssaddles.com/brooksengland.html

The site is just as--er, just as traditional as the saddles, so be
patient.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Heh. "Dead Seat Scrolls." chortle

Thanks for the link..I'd seen that catalog before, but it's funny to
be reminded that even in the 19th century, the B17 had rails that
didn't allow enough setback.

Also interesting to see how many models had perineal cutouts back
then. Maybe they should sue Selle An-Atomica.

Old October 7th 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 6, 11:55*am, "Tony S." wrote:
I've been riding more this year and, even though I got new seats for
each of my bikes and got fitted for them, I still feel like it's not
healthy in the short or long run to ride a conventional seat. I was
wondering if anyone has any experience or serious thoughts on the
following seat models, or others:

http://bikeseats.org/moon-seat.htm

http://bikeseats.org/easyseat-bicycle-seat.htm

Just a random website I found via google, so not pitching it here.
Thanks,

-Tony

Do you have any 'symptoms'? You know, real reasons to think 'normal'
saddles that you use are 'not healthy'..or just a 'feeling', as in
'this can't be healthy, can it'??

No symptoms, no problem. Many of us have been riding for a long time,
with rides of long duration, with no problems, no symptoms, no need to
use a strange saddle or bike design.
Old October 7th 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50EALZU4D6A
Old October 7th 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 6, 12:55*pm, "Tony S." wrote:
I've been riding more this year and, even though I got new seats for
each of my bikes and got fitted for them, I still feel like it's not
healthy in the short or long run to ride a conventional seat. I was
wondering if anyone has any experience or serious thoughts on the
following seat models, or others:

http://bikeseats.org/moon-seat.htm

http://bikeseats.org/easyseat-bicycle-seat.htm

Just a random website I found via google, so not pitching it here.
Thanks,

All this stuff goes around and around in the world of bikes-- genius
backyard inventors, miracle carburetors, etc. etc.

You won't see many of these odd duck seats in the pro (or amateur)
racing pelotons, and those are guys who ride hard and long.

Yeah, some percent of people have bike seat problems. Some get
"medical stuff" problems (worse than chafing or "saddle boils"), which
is blamed on the bike seat. And riding bicycles, of course, which some
in the med. community don't think much of.

So, lie to your urologist when necessary, is the moral of the story.

But seriously, I once knew a married couple who rode a fair good
amount. She used a Turbo man's saddle, he used a Turbo women's saddle.
Bike shop owners who sampled what was available back in the day.

Some people like the saddles with the cutout in the middle, like the
Terry Gelissima my wife finally got comfortable on-- "people" incl.
men. Those types are the worst thing possible for some men (and
probably women, just guessing).

Not broken, don't fix?

Problems sometimes respond very well to a change in tilt, fore and
aft, maybe height if that is really off ("way too high"), or maybe a
different brand of seat, in order to get a different shape. Posture
(and "core strength") can be a big factor too.

Put the weight in the pedals g. --D-y
Old October 8th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Hank:
reminded that even in the 19th century, the B17 had rails that
didn't allow enough setback.

Which begs a question: what is it with Brooks?

Took them all these years to catch on to sus posts and finally
come out with a solid-rail B66 analog.

But they *still* have that goofey angle that defies so many
adjustable posts.

And heaven forbid, they should fill in the gap between 170mm
(B-17) and 210 mm (the various B66-types).

And, as Hank observes, their rails don't allow enough setback.

Family-owned?
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 8th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 11:14:58 -0700 (PDT), Chalo
wrote:

Tony S. wrote:

I've been riding more this year and, even though I got new seats for
each of my bikes and got fitted for them, I still feel like it's not
healthy in the short or long run to ride a conventional seat.

Funny how these things change dramatically after 150 or so years of
design refinement. I guess people's rear ends are made differently
now. At any moment, I suppose I'll have to replace all my chairs
because they're no longer healthy.

I'd imagine chairs made in the first couple of centuries after they
were invented weren't very good.

They were better than the alternative.

--
Michael Press
Old October 8th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tony S.

"Tony S." wrote in message
I've been riding more this year and, even though I got new seats for
each of my bikes and got fitted for them, I still feel like it's not
healthy in the short or long run to ride a conventional seat. I was
wondering if anyone has any experience or serious thoughts on the
following seat models, or others:

http://bikeseats.org/moon-seat.htm

http://bikeseats.org/easyseat-bicycle-seat.htm

Just a random website I found via google, so not pitching it here.
Thanks,

-Tony

Thanks all who replied. Even though I got new seats and fiddled with the
positioning and riding was much more comfortable this year, I still had
issues -- which I won't go into here for obvious reasons. I will try a
bit more forward tilt and lowering the seats slightly to see if that
makes some difference before I try a newfangled product. Some of the
replies were entertaining and some actually useful.

-Tony

Old October 8th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 8, 8:35*am, "Tony S." wrote:

Thanks all who replied. Even though I got new seats and fiddled with the
positioning and riding was much more comfortable this year, I still had
issues -- which I won't go into here for obvious reasons. I will try a
bit more forward tilt and lowering the seats slightly to see if that
makes some difference before I try a newfangled product. Some of the
replies were entertaining and some actually useful.

Well, (sigh) now we get more of the true story. It wasn't a concern
for keeping your assumedly good male saddle area health, long term.
You have a problem.

Don't be shy, you can go into your issues as far as you want, here.

No doubt others have experienced likewise and may have something
concrete (such as http://tinyurl.com/2jx39 ) to offer.

You might have missed some entertainment but also have gone more
directly to the seat of the problem/problem of the seat.

Including saddle height and tilt.

So, dish already. --D-y

Old October 8th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 6, 8:39*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Tony S. wrote:
I've been riding more this year and, even though I got new seats for
each of my bikes and got fitted for them, I still feel like it's not
healthy in the short or long run to ride a conventional seat. I was
wondering if anyone has any experience or serious thoughts on the
following seat models, or others:

http://bikeseats.org/moon-seat.htm

http://bikeseats.org/easyseat-bicycle-seat.htm

Just a random website I found via google, so not pitching it here.
Thanks,

This seat is much more comfortable that those - better than any
furniture I have encountered, in fact:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/1939606083/.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If my posts in general annoy or offend, please kill-file.

Yer slipping...16 posts before somebody posted some sort of 'bent'.
Old October 8th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 6, 1:46*pm, Hank wrote:
On Oct 6, 11:43*am, Tosspot wrote:

Tony S. wrote:
I've been riding more this year and, even though I got new seats for
each of my bikes and got fitted for them, I still feel like it's not
healthy in the short or long run to ride a conventional seat. I was
wondering if anyone has any experience or serious thoughts on the
following seat models, or others:

http://bikeseats.org/moon-seat.htm

http://bikeseats.org/easyseat-bicycle-seat.htm

Just a random website I found via google, so not pitching it here.
Thanks,

In my experience saddles are a very personal thing. *If a 5 dollar
saddle is all day comfortable, be happy, if it's a 300 dollar saddle,
cough up the readies, because nothing else will be.

For example, a recommended saddle

* * * *http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productD...roductID=14085

After 2-3000 miles I gave up, it was always painful. *Luckily for me,
Brookes came to the rescue, it might not for you. *In short, keep trying.

The late, great, Sheldon Brown does have some advice on the subject

* * * *http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

I read that Jesus Christ himself designed the B-17.

From the apocryphal Gospel of Thomas:

"Lo, may your smiths craft a fork of iron, with a crescent-moon
joining the tines
And gather your finest calf's hide, and apply two handsbreadths
across,
flat as the sea of Gallillee in calm winds.
Copper rivets shall be no sign of vanity,
but of the care a shepherd shows his flock."

My very first really good bike was a red Galmozzi from Turin in
Chicago, early 70s or so. I had a Brooks of some model on it and I
drilled off those shiny copper rivets and replaced them with even
bigger (and soon shinier) aluminum pop rivets. It made that saddle
lighter. Amen.

tf