What Shimano rear mech (road ot mtb) shifts a 36 cog?

Old September 29th 12, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default What Shimano rear mech (road ot mtb) shifts a 36 cog?

I've looked online but all the specs I see for Shimano rear mechs state that the maxinum # of teeth on a rear cog is 34. What Shimano rear mech is used with a 36 teeth cog? It can be road or mtb.

Or is the 34 limit a conservative num ber and any 34capacity mech will shift a 36 cog?

Thanks and cheers
Old September 29th 12, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Sep 29, 10:09*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I've looked online but all the specs I see for Shimano rear mechs state that the maxinum # of teeth on a rear cog is 34. What Shimano rear mech is used with a 36 teeth cog? It can be road or mtb.

Or is the 34 limit a conservative num ber and any 34capacity mech will shift a 36 cog?

Thanks and cheers

The 34 limit will be when using the maximum sprocket range, difference
in rear sprockets plus difference in front sprockets. Having for
instance the chain dangle on the small-small could allow the extra 2
teeth to easily be coped with. Another alternative is to use a longer
gear hanger if the original struggles around the big cogs. Generally
though it is fine to have the derailleur jump about as it climbs onto
the last one or to cogs, at least with down-tube friction-levers..
Old September 30th 12, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I've looked online but all the specs I see for Shimano rear mechs state that the maxinum # of teeth on a rear cog is 34. What Shimano rear mech is used with a 36 teeth cog? It can be road or mtb.

Or is the 34 limit a conservative num ber and any 34capacity mech will shift a 36 cog?

Thanks and cheers

In my experience the cog limits are pretty conservative.

From http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derai...r.html#shimano :

"A note about capacity:

"Most derailleurs also specify a maximum size rear sprocket. This is
often a pessimistic value, based on the largest sprocket that is
normally provided as part of that group."

However, the first derailleur on that page is rated 36 tooth capacity.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 30th 12, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

From http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derai...r.html#shimano :

"A note about capacity:

"Most derailleurs also specify a maximum size rear sprocket. This is

often a pessimistic value, based on the largest sprocket that is

normally provided as part of that group."

However, the first derailleur on that page is rated 36 tooth capacity.

--

- Frank Krygowski

Thanks Frank.

I also noticed that the first derailleur on that page is also the most expensive one. :( I'm not about to spend $125.00 + the cost of a 9-speed chain just to get a 36 teeth cog. A buddy gave me a slightly used 9-speed 12- 36 cassette and I'm going to try it with my derailleurs to see if it will clear the upper pulley. If it does I'll get a chain to match. If not I'll have a spare 9-speed cassette to hang on my wall of oddities.

Cheers
Old September 30th 12, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 14:09:05 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

I've looked online but all the specs I see for Shimano rear mechs state that the maxinum # of teeth on a rear cog is 34. What Shimano rear mech is used with a 36 teeth cog? It can be road or mtb.

Or is the 34 limit a conservative num ber and any 34capacity mech will shift a 36 cog?

Thanks and cheers

You have two problems here. Firstly, will the derailer adjust
sufficiently that the idler pulley will clear the big cog and
secondly, will the derailer arm take up enough chain slack when you
shift into a small cog while on the smallest chain ring.

I had a Tiagra short cage derailer that would just barely clear the
big cog on a 11-28 cassette, while it had no problems keeping good
tension on the chain on the small chain ring.
On the other hand a Deore XT derailer with a mid length arm seems to
shift anything I throw at it.

--
Cheers,
John B.
Old September 30th 12, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

*Fromhttp://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers-rear.html#shimano:

"A note about capacity:

"Most derailleurs also specify a maximum size rear sprocket. This is

often a pessimistic value, based on the largest sprocket that is

normally provided as part of that group."

However, the first derailleur on that page is rated 36 tooth capacity.

--

- Frank Krygowski

Thanks Frank.

I also noticed that the first derailleur on that page is also the most expensive one. :( I'm not about to spend $125.00 + the cost of a 9-speed chain just to get a 36 teeth cog. A buddy gave me a slightly used 9-speed 12- 36 cassette and I'm going to try it with my derailleurs to see if it will clear the upper pulley. If it does I'll get a chain to match. If not I'll have a spare 9-speed cassette to hang on my wall of oddities.

Cheers

Two other things to specifically look at
Try tinkering with the "B" adjustment as described and shown here.
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...nts-derailleur

Changing chain length by a link or two (shortening) if you have that
possibility (either make sure you can still use bgb-big or make sure
to never try to use that combination) often gain a bit of jockey
pulley clearance.

DR
Old September 30th 12, 06:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TheCoz

On Sep 29, 4:09*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I've looked online but all the specs I see for Shimano rear mechs state that the maxinum # of teeth on a rear cog is 34. What Shimano rear mech is used with a 36 teeth cog? It can be road or mtb.

Or is the 34 limit a conservative num ber and any 34capacity mech will shift a 36 cog?

Thanks and cheers

SRAM Apex
Cheers,
Coz
Old September 30th 12, 06:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 29-9-2012 23:09, Sir Ridesalot schreef:
I've looked online but all the specs I see for Shimano rear mechs state that the maxinum # of teeth on a rear cog is 34. What Shimano rear mech is used with a 36 teeth cog? It can be road or mtb.

Or is the 34 limit a conservative num ber and any 34capacity mech will shift a 36 cog?

Thanks and cheers

I think all Shimano 10 speed MTB RD.

Lou
Old September 30th 12, 07:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I've looked online but all the specs I see for Shimano rear mechs state that the maxinum # of teeth on a rear cog is 34. What Shimano rear mech is used with a 36 teeth cog? It can be road or mtb.

I expect that mounted on most hangers, any SGS (long cage) Shimano
derailleur would traverse a 12-36 cassette. I have used them on 14-38
5-speed freewheels without issues. My wife's latest utility bike
features an Acera long cage RD and a Suntour 14-38 5-speed freewheel.
To my surprise, it even index shifts cleanly with a 6-speed
thumbshifter.

Chalo
Old October 4th 12, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 16:28:07 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio
wrote:

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I've looked online but all the specs I see for Shimano
rear mechs state that the maxinum # of teeth on a rear
cog is 34. What Shimano rear mech is used with a 36 teeth cog?
It can be road or mtb.

RD-M980 SGS
RD-M985 SGS
RD-M780 SGS
RD-M663 SGS
RD-M773 SGS
RD-M592 SGS
RD-M593 SGS
RD-M663 SGS

The M663 will shift a 11-36 cassette. Says so right there in the
specifications.

I've used at least two different Shimano rear derailers to shift 36
tooth large cogs and if the derailer can be adjusted so that the
pulley clears the larger cog then it works.

A Search on "Shimano docs" plus Mxxx will get you to a place where you
can download both the specifications and adjustment and the parts
listings. Easy enough to do.

--
Cheers,
John B.