A sign you would never see on the door of a Bike Shop

Old April 1st 08, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

Default A sign you would never see on the door of a Bike Shop

"Do not bring your bike into this shop. You are only allowed to bring
your bike into this shop if it has been booked into the workshop.
Please leave your bike locked up outside to the cycle stands provided.

We do not want wet or muddy bikes in our shop."

So why has Specializeds shiny new bike shop on Park Street in Bristol
got this sign up on its door? (Or words to that effect).
Zero G formally Bike Tech used to allow bikes in when they owned the
shop there.

They obviously do not want trade from current cyclists in their new shop.
Old April 1st 08, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_2_]

On 01/04/2008 20:02, Martin Dann said,
"Do not bring your bike into this shop. You are only allowed to bring
your bike into this shop if it has been booked into the workshop.
Please leave your bike locked up outside to the cycle stands provided.

We do not want wet or muddy bikes in our shop."

So why has Specializeds shiny new bike shop on Park Street in Bristol
got this sign up on its door? (Or words to that effect).
Zero G formally Bike Tech used to allow bikes in when they owned the
shop there.

Seems a bit silly as Specialized are known for MTBs, and Ashton
Court/Leigh Woods are not exactly a million miles away. They might as
well put up a sign saying "We don't want the type of cyclist that is
most likely to be in the area and want to buy from us."

Or is it a Specialized roadie shop now? Ah - Bike Tech. Those were the
days!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old April 1st 08, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

Paul Boyd wrote:
[...]

It has both road bikes and full-sus mountain bikes. The range of
accessories (lights, locks, clothing etc) was not brilliant. They are
selling carbon fibre wheels for 1299ukp a pair, a bit more than I would
want to pay ;-)

Martin.

Old April 1st 08, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_3_]

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 19:02:38 +0000, Martin Dann wrote:

"Do not bring your bike into this shop. You are only allowed to bring
your bike into this shop if it has been booked into the workshop.
Please leave your bike locked up outside to the cycle stands provided.

We do not want wet or muddy bikes in our shop."

I think they mean that they don't want everyone to bring their bikes
inside if there's no need to i.e. we'll come outside to have a look if you
want us to.

A more tactful sign would help though!

peter
Old April 1st 08, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

I think they mean that they don't want everyone to bring their bikes
inside if there's no need to i.e. we'll come outside to have a look if you
want us to.

A more tactful sign would help though!

I'd say a more accommodating attitude from the shop would help, one
where you could take your bike to the shop without having to plan to
carry a lock. This may necessitate that the owners sweep up once in a
while. Signs are only a problem if there messages are enforced - if
my current favorite LBS enforced that rule, I'd soon swap my favorite
LBS!

Regards,

Duncan
Old April 1st 08, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Neil Williams[_2_]

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 14:26:09 -0500, naked_draughtsman
wrote:

A more tactful sign would help though!

The word "please" on the start would have gone a long way on its own.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old April 1st 08, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

wrote:

A more tactful sign would help though!

The word "please" on the start would have gone a long way on its own.

I cannot remember the exact words, please may have been there, but I
don't think so.

I just find the idea of a bike shop not allowing bike to be brought into
the shop very strange.

Martin.
Old April 1st 08, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dan Gregory

Martin Dann wrote:

I just find the idea of a bike shop not allowing bike to be brought into
the shop very strange.

It seems to imply "don't bring it back if it's broken.."
Old April 1st 08, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

Ekul Namsob wrote:

wrote:

A more tactful sign would help though!
The word "please" on the start would have gone a long way on its own.

I cannot remember the exact words, please may have been there, but I
don't think so.

I just find the idea of a bike shop not allowing bike to be brought into
the shop very strange.

I've never felt the need to drive my car into a car showroom and I don't
believe that any of my local bike shops would be appreciative if all
their customers parked their bikes inside the shop: most just don't have
the space.

My thoughts as well. If I am just going into the shop for a bit of kit
why should I expect to be able to wheel it around as I look at all the
shiny stuff.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Freedom defined is freedom denied. (Illuminatus)
Old April 1st 08, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_4_]

Martin Dann wrote:

"Do not bring your bike into this shop. You are only allowed to bring
your bike into this shop if it has been booked into the workshop.
Please leave your bike locked up outside to the cycle stands provided.

We do not want wet or muddy bikes in our shop."

So why has Specializeds shiny new bike shop on Park Street in Bristol
got this sign up on its door? (Or words to that effect).
Zero G formally Bike Tech used to allow bikes in when they owned the
shop there.

They obviously do not want trade from current cyclists in their new shop.

If bikes can be left on cycle stands provided outside the shop, why is
there a need to bring them in? The local motor factors don't allow
customers to bring in their cars or motor-bies in! :-)