Buying a mountain bike

Old September 16th 03, 07:36 AM
Arpit

Default Buying a mountain bike

Hi, I'm looking to buy a mountain bike with suspension. My budget is
about 500 dollars.
I've been told to look for an aluminium frame, 8 or 9 speed rear
deraillers, and a cassette hub.

Can anyone offer any reccomendations as to a bike? I don't ride for
very long distances, and might only do 20 km a week or so.
Old September 16th 03, 11:31 AM
gaza

Read the thread on 6/9/03..New Bike...I got it
I just went through the same process and don't fall for 2003 sellouts...the
2004 models are cheaper with better components

Old September 16th 03, 12:01 PM
Tim Jones

"Arpit" wrote in message
Hi, I'm looking to buy a mountain bike with suspension. My budget is
about 500 dollars.
I've been told to look for an aluminium frame, 8 or 9 speed rear
deraillers, and a cassette hub.

Can anyone offer any reccomendations as to a bike? I don't ride for
very long distances, and might only do 20 km a week or so.

The 2004 Giant Boulder SE sounds like a good option for you (what Gaza
mentioned).

You may be able to get the Rincon for about $500 as well (as
http://members.iinet.net.au/~ideal/giant2004.html). If you can get that one,
there is a decent shift in the specs of the bike.

I have the Yukon 2004, which has the same frame - I am very happy with it so
far.

Boulder SE 2004 Specifications
Frame: 6061 ALUXX aluminium
Forks: RST Capa CL 63mm Travel
Headset: 1 1/8" MH-501
Front Derailleur: Shimano C102
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus 8 Speed
Crankset: Shimano TY33 28x38x48
Shifters: Shimano EF-29 24 speed
B Bracket: Semi Cartridge
Hubs: Alloy, Joytech, 36H Q/Release
Rear: Shimano Altus 8 speed
Rims: Alloy
Tyres: Kenda
Brakes: Tektro Alloy V-Brake
H/Bar: Steel Riser
Seat Post: Alloy 30.8
Saddle: Giant comfort
Grips: Velo Kraton

Rincon SE 2004 Specifications
Frame: 6061 ALUXX aluminium Fluid Form
Fork: RST CapaT4 76mm Travel
Headset: CaneCreek 1 1/8 Integrated
Front Derailleur: Shimano Altus
Rear derailleur: Shimano Alivio 8 speed
Crankset: Shimano Altus 24x34x42
Shifters: EF 29 24 Speed
B Bracket: Sealed Cartridge
Hubs: Fromula Front; Shimano Altus Rear
Rims: Alloy
Tyres: Kenda
Brakes: Tektro Alloy V-Brakes
Stem: Alloy Riser 15 degree
Seatpost: Alloy
Saddle: WTB Giant
Grips: Velo

Old September 16th 03, 12:22 PM
gaza

If you are only going to do 20k per week it may also pay you to (as I did)
to order your bike with more bitumen friendly tyres.
I just did a 65k ride (the first serious workout for the bike) on a
combination of hills/dirt/gravel/bitumen and it went great.

"Tim Jones" wrote in message
. au...

Old September 16th 03, 12:53 PM
Arpit

Except 10-15 of those kilometers are offroad Maybe if I get good
i'll be able to still keep the amount of offroad riding constant, but
increase the amount of on road riding to 50km a week or soemthing.

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:22:14 +1000, "gaza"
wrote:

If you are only going to do 20k per week it may also pay you to (as I did)
to order your bike with more bitumen friendly tyres.
I just did a 65k ride (the first serious workout for the bike) on a
combination of hills/dirt/gravel/bitumen and it went great.

"Tim Jones" wrote in message
.au...

Old September 16th 03, 12:54 PM
Arpit

hmm, yes, the 2004 Giant Boulder SE does look good. thanks )

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:01:50 +1000, "Tim Jones"
wrote:

.. .