Need Info - 1988 Peugeot Chorus 753

Old July 6th 07, 09:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

Default Need Info - 1988 Peugeot Chorus 753

I need some information on a 1988 Peugeot Chorus model built with Reynolds
753 tubing.

Apparently this model was only made in 1988. It came with Campy Chorus
components.

I'm trying to find the original width for the rear dropouts, 126mm or
130mm?

The current width is 125mm but the owner was using it as a fixie and
someone may have narrowed the dropouts.

Also did this come with 7 or 8 speeds?

I've found references to this model on the internet and a similar Galiber
model made with 531SL but no specs.

The frame has English threads in the headset and BB but metric sized
tubing - 26mm and 28mm main tubes and a 32mm head tube.

Chas.

Old July 6th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

* * Chas wrote:
I need some information on a 1988 Peugeot Chorus model built with Reynolds
753 tubing.

Apparently this model was only made in 1988. It came with Campy Chorus
components.

I'm trying to find the original width for the rear dropouts, 126mm or
130mm?

126 iirc.

The current width is 125mm but the owner was using it as a fixie and
someone may have narrowed the dropouts.

doubt it. build precision was not that good.

Also did this come with 7 or 8 speeds?

7

I've found references to this model on the internet and a similar Galiber
model made with 531SL but no specs.

The frame has English threads in the headset and BB but metric sized
tubing - 26mm and 28mm main tubes and a 32mm head tube.

light frame, but not that good for build quality and somewhat noodly as
i recall. interesting historic value though.

on the subject of 753 collectibles, what i'd really love is a ti raleigh
753 from that year they won the tdf.
Old July 6th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

* * Chas wrote:
I need some information on a 1988 Peugeot Chorus model built with Reynolds
753 tubing.

Apparently this model was only made in 1988. It came with Campy Chorus
components.

I'm trying to find the original width for the rear dropouts, 126mm or
130mm?

the 8 speed cassette hub was 130, but a 126.5 mm threaded hub with 7
speed freewheel was optional
--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old July 6th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"M-gineering" wrote in message
* * Chas wrote:
I need some information on a 1988 Peugeot Chorus model built with

Reynolds
753 tubing.

Apparently this model was only made in 1988. It came with Campy

Chorus
components.

I'm trying to find the original width for the rear dropouts, 126mm or
130mm?

the 8 speed cassette hub was 130, but a 126.5 mm threaded hub with 7
speed freewheel was optional
--
/Marten

Thanks for the feedback.

So you are saying that these bikes were available with either a 7 speed
freewheel hub with 126mm spacing or an 8 speed cassette hub with 130mm
spacing?

Cold setting isn't recommended with 753 tubing. If some yahoo bent the
dropouts in for use with a 126mm fixie wheel, moving them back out to
130mm wouldn't be a good idea.

Chas.

Old July 6th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Jul 6, 8:43 am, M-gineering wrote:
* * Chas wrote:
I need some information on a 1988 Peugeot Chorus model built with Reynolds
753 tubing.

Apparently this model was only made in 1988. It came with Campy Chorus
components.

I'm trying to find the original width for the rear dropouts, 126mm or
130mm?

the 8 speed cassette hub was 130, but a 126.5 mm threaded hub with 7
speed freewheel was optional
--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

Not in 1988. 8-Speed Campy freehubs had not yet been introduced by
then.

The frame's stock spacing was 126.

Nice bike, btw. A buddy of mine in high school had one of those, and
we were all very envious. I really liked the DARK blue & white fade,
with the red decals. Very pretty frame.

Old July 6th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

* * Chas wrote:
I need some information on a 1988 Peugeot Chorus model built with

Reynolds
753 tubing.

Apparently this model was only made in 1988. It came with Campy

Chorus
components.

I'm trying to find the original width for the rear dropouts, 126mm or
130mm?

the 8 speed cassette hub was 130, but a 126.5 mm threaded hub with 7
speed freewheel was optional
--
/Marten

Thanks for the feedback.

So you are saying that these bikes were available with either a 7 speed
freewheel hub with 126mm spacing or an 8 speed cassette hub with 130mm
spacing?

No, this is what Campagnolo offered. Don't know what Peugeot's buyer ordered

Old July 7th 07, 08:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

ups.com...
* * Chas wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info. This frame is in really nice shape with only a few
paint chips and scratches. I want to put it together with factory standard
components as much as possible. I have most of the parts for a Chorus
gruppo from that period.

The bike probably came with sewups. Do you recall what kind of rims your
friend's bike had? Also what saddle?

Chas.

Old July 7th 07, 08:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"jim beam" wrote in message
t...
* * Chas wrote:

snip
light frame, but not that good for build quality and somewhat noodly as
i recall. interesting historic value though.

on the subject of 753 collectibles, what i'd really love is a ti raleigh
753 from that year they won the tdf.

Never had much interest in Peugeots before except for some of the real old
ones. I grabbed up this one because Id' never seen or heard of a 753
Peugeot before.

I was watching a Peugeot pro team bike in the UK on eBay a while back but
it was a rust bucket and went for a small fortune.

I have a 1974 red, black and yellow Raleigh Team bike but it's made of
fairly heavy gauge 531. Weighs a ton, about 22 Lbs. with sewups for a 56cm
bike.

Chas.

Old July 7th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

ups.com...

* * Chas wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure it had MA-40s with Michelin Hi-Lite tires. Saddle was
a white SI Turbo.