Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

Old August 14th 17, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

On 2017-08-13 15:38, sms wrote:
On 8/12/2017 12:41 PM, Joerg wrote:

Bicycles are not allowed on Hwy 50, that's the key problem. If you want

There's no other road?! I recall when they opened part of I-280 to
bicycles because they build I-280 partially on the old CA35 and there
was no good alternate. Later they built a paved trail that bypassed the
freeway section but they still allow bicycles on that short stretch of
I-280, it was a big battle to get Caltrans to allow bicycles on the
freeway even though it was only one exit and there is a good shoulder.
On I-80 there are some sections between Cisco Grove and US20 to Nevada
City with no frontage road in the Sierras and you had to use I-80--I got
a flat tire on one of those sections.

Around here they don't allow that. Yes, there is another road. It would
mean a major detour and it is a two-lane race track, almost suicidal for
cyclists. Commuters come tearing around uphill corners assuming there is
nobody in the lane. Until there is. Even without cyclists there are some
ghastly accidents, such as high-speed smashes into a slow truck because
there was opposing traffic and they couldn't evade.

Presently we have two local hill roads closed for repairs because of the rains during the winter that tore the roads apart because of the drought. When those roads were open they would often be used as "short cuts" if traffic backed up on the freeways. Cars would drive like Isle of Man racers and without the slightest thought would pass on blind turns. And not just somewhat blind turns but turns that were more than 90 degrees around a cliff heavily shaded by trees. Every single time I was shocked that we didn't have major accidents on that road. I guess that shows that the reason we don't have a lot more people killed in auto accidents is merely the luck of the draw.

The world is full of tragedy already:
http://www.channel3000.com/news/camp...sted/604103707

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 14th 17, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 7:48:47 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

Up here in Sacramento they would but you'd first have to get in a more
biz-friendly legislature and that ain't gonna happen.

The entire trouble in California is the excessive taxation. The Federal government is nearly as bad.

In California businesses are moving out so fast that in at least one location I've seen three businesses move in an out in the last year. People with money are leaving in droves. Even Elon Musk, the liberal hero, built his battery plant in Nevada because he couldn't possibly pass the "environmental" regulations in California. In most other places in this country it costs 1/3rd to 1/2 as much to live. On the house flipper channel my wife watches a 4000 foot house on two acres cost the same as a 2000 square foot house on a lot where you can look in the windows of your neighbor on every side. A house in Plymouth, MA, less than an hour from Boston twice the size of my home on a big lot is half the price.

You want business growth in the US - stop preventing it by excessive taxation. Here they have added an addition tax every year for the last three years to "fix the roads" and still haven't done anything more than patched them in the most egregious places.
Old August 14th 17, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-12 19:05, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 12:02:42 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

I am a tad heavier but I have no problem lifting a bike and myself over
a regular cattle fence.

A hundred and sixty pounds of downward pressure on a wire designed to
resist in an entirely different direction, and to share the load with
a bunch of other wires . . . well, it's extremely rude to do it even
if the damage isn't immediately apparent.

Well, I don't step on fence wire.

But the boundary-marker fences you describe don't sound like much more
impediment than a curb.

Still you've got to lift the bike across. With a MTB you could simply
keep riding and flatten it but that would be rude.

It would have been smart on the part of the planners to notice that this
is the only reasonable path for cyclists and hikers to get from one town
into the other and leave a small slot. Unforntunately most planners
aren't very smart.

Perhaps less than a railroad. I've been known to get to the Crazy Egg
by taking a footpath from 100 N into their parking lot. Ballast is
not easy to walk on.

That I don't understand. What ballast were you walking on?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 14th 17, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 12:05:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Snipped
The entire trouble in California is the excessive taxation. The Federal government is nearly as bad.

Snipped
You want business growth in the US - stop preventing it by excessive taxation. Here they have added an addition tax every year for the last three years to "fix the roads" and still haven't done anything more than patched them in the most egregious places.

Got to pay for all that bicycling infrastructure planning and building somehow. Bicyclist aren't going to pay it just themselves. Thus others re forced to chi; in via taxes.

Cheers LOL
Old August 14th 17, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-14 05:54, wrote:
On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 6:51:19 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Some people here complain about frequent close passes. It happens
to me only rarely - I'd say roughly once per 100 miles of riding,
which would be once in at least 1000 cars. And almost none of those
include any horn blaring or yelling.

But then, I tend to ride more toward lane center than many
cyclists.

Yesterday was Sunday and without job pressure they drive a lot more
relaxed. But I still got a couple of close passes in 50 miles. But I
was flabbergasted at the complete disregard for
stop-before-free-right-turn. Even directly in front of the auxiliary
police station with a cop right outside they didn't so much as slow
up. And at the main police station perhaps three cars drove right
through red lights.

I had one yesterday (Sunday) he

https://goo.gl/maps/KD6agawVA662

Our light turned green when I saw a VW Passat approaching in the
opposing left turn lane. Looked like he ain't stopping so I didn't crank
the pedals. Sure enough he didn't and went around with screeching tires.
5mph more and he'd have flown into me and the car to my left. That
driver to my left also must have seen it coming because he didn't
accelerate despite the green light.

Old August 14th 17, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-14 09:56, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 12:05:04 PM UTC-4,
wrote: Snipped
The entire trouble in California is the excessive taxation. The
Federal government is nearly as bad.

Snipped
You want business growth in the US - stop preventing it by
excessive taxation. Here they have added an addition tax every year
for the last three years to "fix the roads" and still haven't done
anything more than patched them in the most egregious places.

Got to pay for all that bicycling infrastructure planning and
building somehow. Bicyclist aren't going to pay it just themselves.
Thus others re forced to chi; in via taxes.

We pay over $4k/year just in property taxes. That is about 10 (ten!)
times more than what we paid for a house of similar value in Europe. And
yes, I do expect something in return for that much money. Such as bike
paths.

Old August 14th 17, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 10:55:54 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-08-14 09:56, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

That's it! Try triple that in Portland -- or more, if you have a nice house.. What the f*** are you complaining about? You think that for four-measly-thousand you're going to get bike trails to your door. You're crazy! Plus property taxes don't pay for transportation infrastructure -- that is funded through transportation taxes, usually the gas tax with general fund input.
Old August 14th 17, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-14 09:56, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Time you guys had a taxpayer revolt like the Californian Proposition 13.
I know a guy in New York who had a decent academic-level income yet his
family was essentially taxed out of their home. There are reasons why
New York, Orgeon and lots of other places are not on my list of
potential retirement places.

What the f*** are you complaining about? You think that for
four-measly-thousand you're going to get bike trails to your door.
You're crazy! Plus property taxes don't pay for transportation
infrastructure -- that is funded through transportation taxes,
usually the gas tax with general fund input.

http://www.frontiergroup.org/reports/fg/who-pays-roads

Quote "Most walking and bicycling takes place on local streets and roads
that are primarily paid for through property taxes and other general
local taxes".

You really need to look at state/federal financing of bicycle
facilities so you can at least whine about the right tax. I whine
about taxes, too, but mine are way more than yours -- and I know
where they go. Mostly to our old Soviet Union public employees
retirement system.

Same here, only worse. Many states de facto cut a blank check to unions
and now they are fleecing us.

Old August 14th 17, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/14/2017 7:36 AM, wrote:
On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 7:32:37 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 8/14/2017 5:54 AM,
wrote:
On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 6:51:19 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Some people here complain about frequent close passes. It happens to me
only rarely - I'd say roughly once per 100 miles of riding, which would
be once in at least 1000 cars. And almost none of those include any horn
blaring or yelling.

But then, I tend to ride more toward lane center than many cyclists.

Yesterday was Sunday and without job pressure they drive a lot more relaxed. But I still got a couple of close passes in 50 miles. But I was flabbergasted at the complete disregard for stop-before-free-right-turn. Even directly in front of the auxiliary police station with a cop right outside they didn't so much as slow up. And at the main police station perhaps three cars drove right through red lights.

In my area a vehicle can make a right on red without stopping directly
in view of a police officer and nothing will happen. I want to scream
"give him a ticket."

Many years ago, walking my kids to school, a vehicle failed to stop for
us in the crosswalk and I yelled at the driver. And there WAS a cop
there, and he DID pull them over. Later, walking home, the cop was still
there but the driver had left. He told me that he let the driver go
without a ticket because I yelled at them.

You should have reported that cop to his superiors. When I had a serious run in with the local cops I reported it to the police chief, the mayor and the city council.

Well now that I actually am on the City Council, I might have more success!