Handlebar extension

Old July 12th 04, 08:46 AM
Mark

Default Handlebar extension

Hello,

Received my new tourer over the weekend.

Was adding the various bits & pieces to it when I realised I'd ran out of
handlebar space - the attachment for the handlebar bag takes up most of the
available space & I haven't got enough room for
reflector/lights/computer/etc.

Does anyone use handlebar extensions? I've seen them somewhere but can't
remember where... I think I need one which has horizontally variable
attachments, so I can fasten it to the handlebar at a different position to
where the bag attachment is.

Thanks for any information,

Mark

Old July 12th 04, 09:14 AM
Velvet

Mark wrote:

Hello,

Received my new tourer over the weekend.

Was adding the various bits & pieces to it when I realised I'd ran out of
handlebar space - the attachment for the handlebar bag takes up most of the
available space & I haven't got enough room for
reflector/lights/computer/etc.

Does anyone use handlebar extensions? I've seen them somewhere but can't
remember where... I think I need one which has horizontally variable
attachments, so I can fasten it to the handlebar at a different position to
where the bag attachment is.

Thanks for any information,

Mark

Minoura spacegrip. Can be found at wiggle, LBS in some cases, other
online places. Comes in two sizes.

I use them. They're great. Ring of metal clamps around bar, which
holds the 'strut' out in front of bar/below it, which then has a
horizontal 'bar' to which you fix your lights/stuff. Wouldn't use it to
carry significant weight like a bar bag, but fine for lights etc.
Diameter of spacegrip bar is smaller than normal handlebar bars, so you
might need some extra padding/shims on it to get stuff to fit. The
'bar' slides back and forth to some extent, so you can have the strut
off centre. Strut mounting to handlebars point would probably need up
to an inch or thereabouts of handlebar room.

--

Velvet
Old July 12th 04, 09:37 AM
Mark

Minoura spacegrip. Can be found at wiggle, LBS in some cases, other
online places. Comes in two sizes.

Great - will investigate. Thanks.

Mark

Old July 12th 04, 10:14 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Minoura spacegrip. Can be found at wiggle, LBS in some cases, other
online places. Comes in two sizes.

I use them. They're great.

Indeed. I've got one on Gino. The bar bag fitting is on the handlebars and then
I've got the Minora space bar fitted and my front lights attached to that.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old July 12th 04, 03:05 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Mark
') wrote:

Was adding the various bits & pieces to it when I realised I'd ran out
of handlebar space - the attachment for the handlebar bag takes up
most of the available space & I haven't got enough room for
reflector/lights/computer/etc.

If it's a Carradice bar bag you'll find there's a handy little T shaped
piece of the same diameter as a handlebar which clips onto the
under-side of the bag and is the perfect place for mounting lamps.

IMHO, there aren't enough committed Christians, but that's care
in the community for you. -- Ben Evans

Old July 12th 04, 03:13 PM
Mark

If it's a Carradice bar bag you'll find there's a handy little T shaped
piece of the same diameter as a handlebar which clips onto the
under-side of the bag and is the perfect place for mounting lamps.

Unfortunately not - 'tis an Ortleib one. Thanks for the thought,
though...

Mark

Old July 12th 04, 05:33 PM
james

Velvet wrote in message ...
Mark wrote:

Does anyone use handlebar extensions? I've seen them somewhere but can't
remember where...

Minoura spacegrip. I use them. They're great.

I found them useless. Even after I glued the side screws in (to stop
them coming undown all the time and replaced some of the cheese bolts
with ones fashioned from metal it used to rattle all the time. OTOH
my I handed it on to my dad who has been happier with it, perhaps his
riding style is more gentle. I am using a Proline Space adaptor now
http://www.sjscycles.com/store/item8461.htm

It is ABS and I would be suspicios of mounting something heavy on it
but I am using it with a dynamo headlight and smart polaris light with
no problems

best wishes
james
Old July 13th 04, 08:29 AM
Mark

I am using a Proline Space adaptor now
http://www.sjscycles.com/store/item8461.htm

James,

Thanks for the information and link... however, I don't quite understand how
it works. Which but do you attach to your handlebars? And how much extra
space does it give you?

Thanks,

Mark

Old July 13th 04, 07:45 PM
Gawnsoft

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:29:09 +0100, "Mark"
wrote (more or less):

I am using a Proline Space adaptor now
http://www.sjscycles.com/store/item8461.htm

James,

Thanks for the information and link... however, I don't quite understand how
it works. Which but do you attach to your handlebars? And how much extra
space does it give you?

Judging from the photo, the handlebars pass through the big hole in
the middle, giving about an 1" or 1.25" on each of the two 'handles'
to attach things.

--
Cheers,
Euan