Sheldon-Brown-RIP

Old February 5th 08, 03:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

Default Sheldon-Brown-RIP

On 2008-02-05, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)

A inspirational bloke, always had the time and patience to share his
vast knowledge and expertise. The cycling community has lost a great
personality.

We'll charge a glass or two tonight in his honour.

Indeed. What'dhe drink? I hope he liked Ardbeg 10yo.

--
TimC
Warning: No foo present. Your life may be in grave danger.
Old February 5th 08, 07:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
suzyj[_22_]

Indeed. What'dhe drink? I hope he liked Ardbeg 10yo.

This is terrible news. Sheldon was one of the most amazing people in
the world of cycling. He's answered our stupid questions with wonderful
advice, and been an inspiration to many of us.

I for one will miss him greatly.

Though I'm sure he'd never drink that horrid Islay rubbish. I mean, ya
might as well soak some seaweed in disinfectant and drink that. I think
it's time to hit the Glengoyne.

--
suzyj

Old February 5th 08, 09:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2008-02-05, suzyj (aka Bruce)

Indeed. What'dhe drink? I hope he liked Ardbeg 10yo.

This is terrible news. Sheldon was one of the most amazing people in
the world of cycling. He's answered our stupid questions with wonderful
advice, and been an inspiration to many of us.

I never saw it coming too - he was posting here a mere few weeks ago.

I'm keeping my biopace chainrings on just for him.

I for one will miss him greatly.

Though I'm sure he'd never drink that horrid Islay rubbish. I mean, ya
might as well soak some seaweed in disinfectant and drink that. I think
it's time to hit the Glengoyne.

Arr, but you be mistaken me lassie (that was a really crappy fake
Scottish accent, wasn't it?). No seaweed nor iodine hints in the
Ardbeg. Just BBQed bacon.

--
TimC
We would be called technicians, not researchers, if we knew
Old February 5th 08, 10:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ritcho[_22_]

kanangara Wrote:
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/29379/Sheldon-Brown-RIP

Bugger.

Sheldon Brown's passing is a great loss to cycling and I hope his
family and friends gain some solace in knowing he had the respect of
cycling enthusiasts all over the world.

Ritch

--
ritcho

Old February 5th 08, 12:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Rory Williams[_29_]

kanangara Wrote:
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/29379/Sheldon-Brown-RIP

Bugger.

Vale

RoryW

--
Rory Williams

Old February 5th 08, 12:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Resound[_2_]

"kanangara" wrote in
message ...

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/29379/Sheldon-Brown-RIP

Bugger.

Bugger indeed. There's a lot of sad cyclists in the world today. Here's
thinking of his family.

Vale Sheldon.

Old February 6th 08, 04:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
not all there

On Feb 5, 11:09 pm, Rory Williams Rory.Williams.34b...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
kanangara Wrote:

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/29379/Sheldon-Brown-RIP

Bugger.

Vale

RoryW

--
Rory Williams

I once called him 'Captain Pedantic' on rec.bicycles.tech when he
started to wax lyrical about the various accuracies of perfectly
calibrated bike computers. We made up later. I feel bad about that
now. It was sad to read his journal as his health deteriorated and he
could no longer do what he loved, including riding his bike. His legs
went clumsy first, then it was months before they got the diagnosis of
a rare form of MS, which crept up on him until he could hardly walk. I
suspect the heart attack might be linked.

V.A
Old February 6th 08, 09:21 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

kanangara Wrote:

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/29379/Sheldon-Brown-RIP
Bugger.

Vale

RoryW

--
Rory Williams

I once called him 'Captain Pedantic' on rec.bicycles.tech when he
started to wax lyrical about the various accuracies of perfectly
calibrated bike computers. We made up later. I feel bad about that
now. It was sad to read his journal as his health deteriorated and he
could no longer do what he loved, including riding his bike. His legs
went clumsy first, then it was months before they got the diagnosis of
a rare form of MS, which crept up on him until he could hardly walk. I
suspect the heart attack might be linked.

V.A

Long before I knew who Sheldon Brown was (in an internet sense) I met
him at the bike shop when I was working in Boston. In real life he was
gentle, great sense of fun, with a real passion for cycling. After just
that one meeting he was locked in my memory.

We have lost a living treasure.
Old February 7th 08, 11:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rex

But what is going on? Cycling is supposed to keep you fit and healthy
yet he was only 63 and suffered a heart attack

A 65 year old friend who cycles 60 miles a day and is built like a
greyhound has just had a triple bypass.

Do we know their full history? remember Jim Fixx who died while running in
his fifties? Early age to die. People came out and said "running is
dangerous".

The full story is that his father and grandfather both died in their 40's.
Running may have given Jim Fixx another 10 years.

Perhaps Gough Whitlam was right when he said, "I get enough exercise
attending the funerals of all those who do."

I guess I am at the age when you read the obitary column and realise
they are all your comtemporaries.

As you say, "bugger"

Regards
Harold

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius

Old February 7th 08, 04:00 PM posted to aus.bicycle
hemyd

"Rex" wrote in message

[...]

I'll be 60 on Thursday, and still cycling to work, on Nepean Highway from
Moorabbin to near Commercial Road (Melbourne). Heart goes a bit crazy -
especially when I'm cycling fast - or being passed by a double B semi.....

Henry (over 18,500 kilometres cysling since 2005)

RIP Sheldon Brown mark General 3 February 11th 08 10:47 PM
Sheldon Brown Kenny General 40 November 14th 06 03:28 AM
Sheldon Brown Just zis Guy, you know? UK 96 October 10th 03 10:31 PM
Sheldon Brown Simonb UK 16 October 3rd 03 12:02 PM