Helmets

Old January 6th 09, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_2_]

Default Helmets

Seems the Nigerians have an answer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7813418.stm

Motorcyclists in Nigeria have been wearing dried pumpkin shells on
their heads to dodge new laws forcing them to wear helmets,
authorities have said.

So who's up for a bit of dried pumpkin wearing?
Old January 6th 09, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Tosspot wrote:
Seems the Nigerians have an answer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7813418.stm

Motorcyclists in Nigeria have been wearing dried pumpkin shells on
their heads to dodge new laws forcing them to wear helmets,
authorities have said.

So who's up for a bit of dried pumpkin wearing?

I was reading that earlier. Seems that many think that helmets have
"magic" properties ;-)
Old January 7th 09, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
Tosspot tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7813418.stm

"Stories have also appeared in the local papers highlighting passengers'
fears that the helmets could be used by motorcyclists to cast spells on
their clients, making it easy for them to be robbed."

Figures. Helmets certainly have the ability to cast spells on
"researchers".

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old January 7th 09, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

"Tosspot" wrote
So who's up for a bit of dried pumpkin wearing?

Carbon fibre, very swish

Old January 7th 09, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Dave Larrington wrote:

In ,
Tosspot tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7813418.stm

"Stories have also appeared in the local papers highlighting passengers'
fears that the helmets could be used by motorcyclists to cast spells on
their clients, making it easy for them to be robbed."

Figures. Helmets certainly have the ability to cast spells on
"researchers".

I also thought that quote was the real gem of the article. I'm completely
using that next time someone asks me why i don't wear a helmet.

tom

--
resistance is fertile
Old January 7th 09, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burtthebike

"Tosspot" wrote in message
Seems the Nigerians have an answer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7813418.stm

Motorcyclists in Nigeria have been wearing dried pumpkin shells on
their heads to dodge new laws forcing them to wear helmets,
authorities have said.

So who's up for a bit of dried pumpkin wearing?

Reminds me of the Italian research I came across whilst doing my
dissertation. A local authority in Italy brought in a motorcycle helmet law
and deaths to motorcyclists fell by about 40%, so the research claimed that
the helmet law was a fanatastic success, and helmets were extremely
protective. Later in the same paper, it gave the figures for motorcycle
registrations, which had fallen by about 45%.

Old January 7th 09, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
AndyC

"burtthebike" wrote in message

Reminds me of the Italian research I came across whilst doing my
dissertation. A local authority in Italy brought in a motorcycle helmet
law and deaths to motorcyclists fell by about 40%, so the research claimed
that the helmet law was a fanatastic success, and helmets were extremely
protective. Later in the same paper, it gave the figures for motorcycle
registrations, which had fallen by about 45%.

So if introducing a helmet law reduced motorcycle deaths by 40% *and*
reduced motorcycle traffic by 45%, perhaps there is a good argument there
for car drivers to wear helmets too. If those figures are then replicated,
that should put an end to traffic congestion.

Old January 7th 09, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:06:01 -0800, "burtthebike"
wrote:

"Tosspot" wrote in message
Seems the Nigerians have an answer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7813418.stm

Motorcyclists in Nigeria have been wearing dried pumpkin shells on
their heads to dodge new laws forcing them to wear helmets,
authorities have said.

So who's up for a bit of dried pumpkin wearing?

Reminds me of the Italian research I came across whilst doing my
dissertation. A local authority in Italy brought in a motorcycle helmet law
and deaths to motorcyclists fell by about 40%, so the research claimed that
the helmet law was a fanatastic success, and helmets were extremely
protective. Later in the same paper, it gave the figures for motorcycle
registrations, which had fallen by about 45%.

Ah yes - research - it makes you laugh sometimes doesn't

"I've examined all the evidence I can
find, and I have been unable to find any benefit.

"They are demonstrably a bad thing."

Quotes - courtesy of burtthebike

Helmets AscenXion Unicycling 60 August 27th 06 04:11 PM
Can't Use Helmets in the Sun???? Ozark Bicycle UK 87 June 15th 06 05:46 PM
Can't Use Helmets in the Sun???? Edward Dolan Social Issues 0 May 27th 06 06:23 AM
Helmets week on my new blog, a question regarding helmets and my blog. 101bike Racing 7 March 18th 06 03:14 AM
Helmets helmets helmets and weird heads Tamyka Bell Australia 3 November 30th 04 11:25 AM