Eggbeater pedals on road bike?

Old June 28th 04, 06:09 PM
Ken

Default Eggbeater pedals on road bike?

(Tai) wrote in news:e327185b.0406280854.7e0f33a5
@posting.google.com:
Anyone use the Eggbeater pedals on their road bike? The shoes will be
Shimanos. Should I expect to get hot spots? My current road pedals are
the cheapest Speedplays but I'd like to start using my SPD shoes since
they're easier to walk in.

Hot spots are caused by a lot of different things: hard pedalling, flexy
shoes, poor shoe fit, small cleats, etc. Some people may have problems; most
will not.
Old June 28th 04, 07:16 PM
Ronald

Anyone use the Eggbeater pedals on their road bike? The shoes will be
Shimanos. Should I expect to get hot spots? My current road pedals are
the cheapest Speedplays but I'd like to start using my SPD shoes since
they're easier to walk in.

Freddy Rodriguez uses Egg Beaters:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...bikes_climbing

and they developed a new road specific pedal with bigger platform:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/sponsors/...hers04/quattro

"Tai" wrote in message om...
Anyone use the Eggbeater pedals on their road bike? The shoes will be
Shimanos. Should I expect to get hot spots? My current road pedals are
the cheapest Speedplays but I'd like to start using my SPD shoes since
they're easier to walk in.

Thanks

Old June 30th 04, 04:45 AM
52-19

(Tai) wrote in news:e327185b.0406280854.7e0f33a5
@posting.google.com:

Anyone use the Eggbeater pedals on their road bike? The shoes will be
Shimanos. Should I expect to get hot spots? My current road pedals are

I'm using Eggbeaters with Shimano RO-73 shoes on my "fast commuter"
conventional steel road bike. At first I used a generic Look-style pedal,
then Ritchey SPD-compatibles, and now Eggbeaters. I like the Eggbeaters
the best for all-around use.

For commuting I find the Eggbeaters to be the ideal pedal. Stoplights
were always a little clumsy for me with either the Looks or the SPD
pedals; when the light turned green half the time I didn't flip the pedal
just right and I would mess up the clip-in. With Eggbeaters clipping in
is much easier -- with four-sided entry there's no worry about pedal
orientation prior to clipping in. I just put my toe on the pedal and roll
my foot across the top with a little downforce. Clips nearly every time.
Clipping out is very easy, easier than the Look/SPD's.

Another advantage of Eggbeaters is their weather resistance. SPD-type
pedals always seemed a little delicate to me to be exposing them to water
and grit on rainy days. Eggbeaters, with their MTB design, laugh at rainy
day road grit.

The ease of maintaining Eggbeaters is a real plus. Unscrew the end plug,
insert a grease gun and squirt until grease starts to ooze out of the
pedal body. Put the end plug back on and you're done.

I have experienced two instances of hot foot with the 'beaters in the
last 4 months. Happened on extra-long rides (for me) starting at about 3
hours in the saddle, but only in one foot. Unclipping, flipping the pedal
a quarter turn, and reclipping seems to help.

When you first put on the 'beaters they are a little disconcerting. They
feel less "precise" than SPD-style pedals. Not only does your foot have
float in the traditional sense, there is also float in "roll", as in
rolling the foot outward off the end of the spindle. I got used to it,
and I don't notice it any more; so if you try 'em, hang with them for a
few weeks before you decide to keep them or not. -- J.