FS - French Threaded HS and BB w/531 Frameset

Old September 10th 05, 01:07 AM
David White

Default FS - French Threaded HS and BB w/531 Frameset

Very retro, early 1970's vintage, Cilo road bike frame and parts. This is the
second Cilo I have owned, I regretted selling the first and may well regret
selling this one too. But I have more bikes than storage space and my wife is
threatening...

Cilo bikes ware imported into the USA from Switerland by Bass Sports of Maine
during the 10 speed, european bike boom years. I do not believe they came in
large numbers and many seem to have stayed near their northeast home base. I
believe that Campy components (except brakes) would have been standard equipment.

The frame is Reynolds 531 throughout. It is built with a 23" seat tube and a
23.5" top tube (measured center-center). The wheelbase is about 41" (17.5" in
the rear, 24" in the front of the BB axle). The stand over height is about
32.25" using 700c wheels and 23mm tires. The original braze-ons include only
rear brake cable stops (at ~ 4 o'clock) and a rear derailleur cable stop on the
chain stay. The lugs (head lugs anyway) are BCM - simple, medium point, nothing
fancy. The rear triangle and fork blades are 1/3 chromed. The Campy long
horizontal dropouts are chromed as well. Other than this, the only chrome is on
the head lugs and fork crown. A 26.6mm seat post is required. The threading is
French on both steering tube and BB shell. The rear hub spacing is 120mm (could
likely be cold-set to 126mm and maybe more). This bike rides very smoothly and
is very stable. In my opinion it would be well-suited to loaded touring,
century rides, and all-around recreational riding. It is solidly built and has
many more miles left in it. It would also make a fine single-speed ride.

The frame is all original and shows signs of wear. No rust, dents, or dings.
But I would call it mechanically very good bu can only call the cosmetic
condition good. Chrome is intact but not perfect, silver paint has scratches in
several places and the top layer pulled off part of the seat stays (maybe from
tape "protecting" where a rack was installed?), decals are mostly there except
the 531 decals (which always seem to go). I intended to (and did) build this
frame up for use as a rain/commuter with components for that job (including
fenders). It never got used very often for either.

In excellent condition is a compliment of (mostly) period-correct components:

Headset - DuraAce (AX or EX?) alloy headset (French) - virtually new
Phil Wood 113mm steel axle, sealed BB (with French lock rings)
Laprade alloy, 1-bolt, 1-piece seat post (26.6mm)
No-name seat binder bolt
No-name, clamp-on water bottle cage
Campy clamp-on cable guide
Campy Super Record style (black, thumbscrew) dropout screws

Photos available. Asking $175 plus shipping and $15 for packing materials
(frame box, foam pipe insulation, strapping tape, etc) or local pickup in
Seattle, WA.