mudguards

Old January 14th 06, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default mudguards

davek wrote:

David E. Belcher wrote:

Depends on the type of riding - for off-roading, guards can be more of
a hindrance than a help

OK, fair point - if a slightly different scenario to what the OP was
talking about.

I would have thought that for off-road cycling mudguards would be pretty
redundant anyway as you are going to get muddy even with the best
mudguards in the world.

For an all-dayer in cold conditions I still much prefer to use them (and
even on a short ride, a face full of mud or cow-**** isn't really
something I go looking for).

James
--
James Annan
see web pages for email
Old January 14th 06, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

davek wrote:

David E. Belcher wrote:
Depends on the type of riding - for off-roading, guards can be more
of a hindrance than a help

OK, fair point - if a slightly different scenario to what the OP was
talking about.

I would have thought that for off-road cycling mudguards would be
pretty redundant anyway as you are going to get muddy even with the
best mudguards in the world.

Yes and no. One of these boards for mounting on the seat post will spare
you from a fair amount of dirt and wet on your back without
compromising the ride in most situations. I extended mine quite a bit
with some foam material (sleeping mat). Being out all day with a wet
lower back is not really pleasant at this time of the year.
As for the front: Any mudguard that extends low enough to protect your
feet and chainset is likely to present a hazard when riding off road.
However, a very short front mudguard at least offers some protection
for the headset and the riders face.

Günther

Old January 14th 06, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Günther Schwarz wrote:

Yes and no. One of these boards for mounting on the seat post will spare
you from a fair amount of dirt and wet on your back without
compromising the ride in most situations. I extended mine quite a bit
with some foam material (sleeping mat). Being out all day with a wet
lower back is not really pleasant at this time of the year.
As for the front: Any mudguard that extends low enough to protect your
feet and chainset is likely to present a hazard when riding off road.
However, a very short front mudguard at least offers some protection
for the headset and the riders face.

That's exactly the arrangement we have settled on, too.

James
Old January 14th 06, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

James Annan wrote:

Günther Schwarz wrote:

Yes and no. One of these boards for mounting on the seat post will
spare you from a fair amount of dirt and wet on your back without
compromising the ride in most situations.

However, a very short front mudguard at least offers some
protection for the headset and the riders face.

That's exactly the arrangement we have settled on, too.

For the front part I rely on the oversize downtube. The headset needs
replacement soon, anyway. With a new one installed I will mount a front
fender.

Guenther
Old January 14th 06, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

I'm amazed at encounters with "mountain" cyclists without mudguards
who not only have mud all over their backs, bikes, crotch areas etc but
also over their faces, fronts, shoulders, from following someone down
a muddy track. They tend to wear goggles or sun glasses in all weather,
which are so smeared up they probably can't see that other cyclists are
covering the same ground staying fairly clean and comfortable thanks to
mud guards.
You have to laugh though as they thunder about trying to look deadly
serious and purposeful, but covered in sh*t!

cheers

Jacob
Mudflaps also utterly essential.

Old January 15th 06, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm amazed at encounters with "mountain" cyclists without mudguards
who not only have mud all over their backs, bikes, crotch areas etc but
also over their faces, fronts, shoulders, from following someone down
a muddy track. They tend to wear goggles or sun glasses in all weather,
which are so smeared up they probably can't see that other cyclists are
covering the same ground staying fairly clean and comfortable thanks to
mud guards.
You have to laugh though as they thunder about trying to look deadly
serious and purposeful, but covered in sh*t!

Hmm...you're assuming the dirty ones are covering the same ground. On
several of the routes I ride the best start/finish is at a touristy place
that has trails suitable for riding by all the family on basic bikes so
while we may ride *some* of the same ground we're unlikely to ride *all* of
the same ground..
(Mind you, I do use mudguards but they're not as efficient as those fitted
to road bikes for reasons already explained by several other posters).
Hence I'll get back for my post ride cuppa covered in muck while the ones
sticking to the tame trails will at worst have a skunk mark on their back
if they totally lack guards.
--
Pete