Tufo CycloX tubular tires... or, should I use these hybrid tubies ?

Old March 14th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Tufo CycloX tubular tires... or, should I use these hybrid tubies ?

Bob wrote:
Tufo seems to have most of the "reasonably" priced cyclo cross tubies.
But, I've never used these hybrid "nothing to sew" sewups. Being a
traditionalist it just seems "wrong". I'd be riding on the street and
using the cyclo tires to get more traction in damp and mucky
weather... and occasionally off road.

So, how good are these tubeless tubies? I'm not racing, durability is
more the issue for me. What happens after you put the "sealent" in
these to plug a leak? Is that a one shot deal so you get to plug the
first leak but none after that? Or does it become a self sealing tire
after that (in which case adding a tube of sealant before even getting
a flat seems like the best idea).

Send me your thoughts, and opinions, but whatever you do, don't
mention clinchers in this thread :-)

Thanks,

The goop in them does seem to plug goathead type punctures but I never
liked the idea of a tubular you couldn't repair. I think a more
traditional tubular, with a tube, AND the goop would be a good idea BUT
if you put a lot of goop inthere, it will prevent a patch from
sticking, when you try to repair it.